“Helpful staff”

Hotel Espresso Montreal Centre-Ville/Downtown
Ranked #90 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went to Montreal to visit my family and then there was an emergency gas leak evacuation in the area my family lives in. I had to find a hotel ASAP as it was very cold night and there were kids with us.
I called the hotel at around 2 am, and the manager was very helpful in booking us something for such an emergency. We took three rooms.

So for booking, it is fast and easy! However the rooms were very cold, it felt as if the heating system didn't work. My room was not only cold, but had absolutely no soap, shampoo! THe next morning my entire family told me they didn't sleep because it was cold - so sleep quality was poor because of cold; but the mattress and pillows were very comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel if you get a decent price from the staff, but housekeeping should do a better job, and the heat should be on in the cold Montreal winter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Espresso Montreal Centre-Ville/Downtown

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights right after xmas
Hotel centrally located, restaurants, shopping, bell centre, st.catherines street are within a short walking distance
Room had a microwave and small fridge
beds comfortable
parking $20/ night with in/out privileges
a good, value for money Hotel

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have used this hotel several times over the past few years, and are satisfied with what we have received. This trip was because of being stranded for three days while passing through Montreal. We wanted something quickly and reasonably priced.

The location is great, with good subway access. There aren't much by way of facilities, but the rooms was reasonably renovated, and great value for the price. All the rooms we have been assigned in the past few years have been renovated, without our having to request one.

It is a 2.5 or 3.0 star hotel, and great for a stay where you are not actively using the hotel. The staff are fine, and we have had no real problems - you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: If travelling with a family - look for one of the corner rooms, as they are like a mini suite.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had read the reviews just now and was a bit shocked. I didnt have a bad experience here and If I had read those recent reviews prior to coming I would not come at all. But it depends what you are looking for, I was looking for something cheap and descent, Quiet, location close to the Train and subway and that had WIFI and a gym, prior to booking It had all that I needed, I noticed it said Outdoor Pool so its obvious it would be closed for the winter. Check in is at three but if you are friendly and not demanding Im sure they will let you check in, they let me do so at 12 yesterday. They do require a 60 dollar deposit or CC, but return it to you on check out and you may charge meals to your room.
Location-Great In between two subway stations Right Downtown, close to all Shopping and Restaurants Behind the Bell Centre.
Room- My room was on the sixth floor, modern furniture, clean with a Samsung flat screen, free cable and WIFI, which was what I wanted to catch up on some writing.It had a new GE cold fridge and a coffee maker.
The hall was outdated but the room was fine, but it is an old hotel and Ive seen way worse before. I compared it to a Holiday inn express or motel 6 as for the towels and soaps, shampoos, it is not the Sheraton, or Marriott, so when your getting a room for 70 dollars taxes in dont expect $150-200 standards. an older computer was there in my room but i had my labtop anyway, thank God, but i always bring my labtob and dont expect to use their equipment. There is a business center on the 2nd floor which is up to par, and a Gym with more equipment then expected and a functional Sauna.
Food- Lunch buffet- Salad bar, Fresh fruit,Lasagna, Fish, Beef (bread a little hard)potatoes $13
Dinner- Buffet Fresh fruit, Salad bar,Liver, chicken, salmon, pizza, beef rice potatoes dessert table $14
Breakfast-buffet scrambled eggs toast french toast boiled eggs, sausage,fresh fruit
strawberries and dessert all you can drink tea and coffee $12
It is a small buffet but I do recommend ordering a la carte from the Menu or go elsewhere.
Heard some doors closing throughout the night and day but thats normal for an older hotel, It does have souvenir shop. I will come back If the price remains the same 56 plus tax
I found the staff very friendly and the French Chef when not in the kitchen would come and say hello and make sure the food was to your liking, he was very nice and accommodations were made for children and upon request even at the buffet, which I haven't seen in a small establishment before.Fruit was my favorite and the coffee and unlimited pop.
I kept in mind that it was my first time here and as a single business class traveler, i did my sight seeing in the day time and evening in the area and my writing in my room at night, as I was not aware of my surroundings, I noticed some homeless in the downtown street rue St Catherine and around St James and a Cathollic Church,Cathedrel Marie due Reine?. But there are homeless in every city in north america downtown? Dont know why they mentioned in the hotel review, they were not in or around the hotel. There are a few pubs and restaurants, Indian, Chicken and Rib, Indian buffet,Fast food,Cinema and Eaton Centre next to the hotel. Alot of Shopping around. the Museum was right there as well. I did notice some people that came to party I assume but it was the holidays and It was like a Days Inn Super 8 Motel 8 Holiday Inn express standard. I never heard any noise other than doors which stopped around midnight and the bar and restaurant closed at 10 pm. also they spoke and understood English which was good for me:)

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room be friendly and order from the Menu to make your trip more better, also the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cheapnclassy
Reviewed December 20, 2012

wow I am currently at the hotel for 2 miserable days here and its really a craptacular hotel, on hotwire it says its a nice 3 star hotel and has a pool and hot tub and stuff, bahaha I kid you not! There is NO HOT TUB! OUTDOOR POOL. Only good thing about this is if you are a train fan, the AMT is right beside the hotel, and decent place to railfan from your hotel room. Its central alright but really, the service at the desk wasnt the greatest at all. I was pretty angry when they said YOU MUST PUT DOWN $60 DEPOSIT FOR DAMAGE. NO FREE LOCAL CALLS. NO FREE ANYTHING EXCEPT WIFI AND CABLE.. WHAT ARE WE SLAVES OF THE HOTEL? Pay this and that for everything. I suggest that everyone should go elsewhere and avoid this hotel, Another good thing is hardwood (real hardwood) on the floors, flat screen tv, and decent view from window.

WARNING THE BEDS SQUEAK SO IF YOU YOURE GONNA DO THE HANKY PANKY BEWARE! We sat on the bed and it squeaks, my husband and I were making out and the bed was so squeaky so we stopped. SUCH A TURN OFF!!!!

Room Tip: Dont get the 2 doubles they are awfully small. Try a queen size or king.
1  Thank Megsxo
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed there last week for two days and could not sleep due to heating system louds noises. I complained three times to the front desk. At first, they said that there was nothing wrong which was totally ludicrous. Then they simply apologized but there was nothing they could do.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wonderful boyfriend took me here for my 30th birthday. We love Montreal and I am very torn in writing this review. I want to start off by saying the photos of this hotel/motel are renderings (enhanced and or airbrushed photos). LOCATION: we opted to leave the car in the covered parking they offer for the entire duration of the stay ($18 pr day). we avoided the hassle of hunting for parking in old town and found the subway quick easy and (dare I say it) fun. The hotel has two very close to 2 Metro stops. The orange line Lucien-L'Allier stop drops you off somewhat behind the hotel. If I were alone I would not get off on that stop at night to walk to or from the hotel. The other stop off the green line is Guy-Concordia its an easy walk and a busy safe area with tourists and bustling students. Also this hotel is walking distance to Crescent St - which is the street for FUN until 3a or later - we felt ok/safe walking back together but there were some wandering ladies of the night - not a place to be alone or off guard (read: stumbling drunk and unaware of your surroundings) HOTEL: So this was a days inn well past its hay day and they are attempting to convert to boutique the reno seems slow going. The parking garage is dirty but usable. The lobby is full of lingering elderly, homeless people, wild children and groups of cheap party people (such as ourselves :) so definitely a mixed bag - somewhere between an old folks home in the day and a potential call-girl portal at night. The staff is laid back (as the French often are) and check-in was quite easy - this is where things take a drastic turn - we took the dated, cigarette wreaked elevator to the 5th floor. Yes you guessed it - a NON-Renovated floor. As we walked down the hall visions of the bates motel and a run down mini version of the shining flashed in my mind, trash and stains everywhere, as we approached the last room on the hall I wanted to run. We opened to a semi renovated room with laminated wood floors, queen bed, ancient tv, raggedy ripped couch, huge nasty a/c unit, outdated p.c.(this is the free computer they boast about - which must have been pillage from the closing of a near by data center) the view of the dark ugly outdoor (not the one we used) parking lot did not help. I pulled back the nasty threadbare sheets and viewed the stains on the iron board and walls and realized we simply could not stay. As we retreated to the lobby with photographic evidence on my phone the situation again took a surprising turn, the manager? (not sure, never got his name) Offered us a "suite" on the 7th floor (top floor of the hotel) - we begrudging agreed to quickly peak at the room. Holy cow! Night and day doesn't even begin to describe the difference between these two rooms. To say that this space was a suite is just not true however I will admit that there was an extraordinarily large area of empty space between to the door and the bed. Bathroom, Bed, T.V., lighting, bedding, design ALL MODERN - it was like stepping into a different world - the hallway still left something to be desired but I can truly say this room was my sanctuary for 5 blissful days. We started off the bat by tipping the cleaning ladies and they maintained a very nice and clean environment for us.... even cleaning the disgusting ancient a/c unit that seemed to follow us from the 5th floor - they need to get rid of them all. I will say the bathroom was a bit on the tiny side but it served its purpose (side-note: the shower curtain was gross - but they had upgraded us and were so accommodating we just rinsed/wiped it off and kept it moving - Rome wasn't built in a day). As for the pool located on the bottom floor - it was closed for the season and looked very dark and outdated. The fitness area was clean and well equipped. As for the buffet, no and the "bar" hell no both were outdated and not clean. Thye also have a laughable "souvenir shop" I would say don't bother even stepping into it - everything you need you can get a couple blocks away at Guy-Concordia. If you can get a room here for cheap and are confident you can secure a "renovated room" its well worth the money otherwise... RUN! We certainly didn't eat there so I just put the food as poor based on the congealed mystery buffet items we saw while walking through the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a room here for cheap and are confident you can secure a "renovated room" i...
2  Thank DeAnna T