“Very nice.”
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #74 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel may quaint but the rooms have all the amenities. All of downtown is right outside the door. Price is right compared to the high-rise hotels in the area. There's a modest continental breakfast and they had homemade jam, and on one day, homemade smoked salmon spread for your bagel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank ItzikWorcesterVT

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Quaint hotel with great service. Great location! It was nice to stay in a place that had character. The bathroom had recently been remodelled. Having a key instead of a card was fun too. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't have problems climbing stairs with their suitcases.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karla C
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Steps,from museum and upscale shopping district, this is a charming hotel with friendly bilingual staff, and very reasonable prices for the location. Formerly 2 residential homes, my room was huge, and it came with a magnificent sunken tub that was just perfect after the long train ride to Montreal. It's really more a B&B than a hotel, but I didn't try the breakfast so can't comment on that. Room was spic and spam clean, large uber comfortable queen bed, 2 reading chairs, and a desk with mirror to either work at or turn into a makeup table. Mine was ground floor room with some steps to access. There are other ground floor rooms but they are huge and for larger groups (up to 6 I was told, sounds more like a suite!) Other rooms are accessible through narrow staircases that are so typical of Victorian homes, so beware if you have hip or knee problems!

I'll be going back. The value is too good not to.

Room Tip: The street is quiet even if right downtown so don't be afraid of taking the street-facing ground...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Lise B
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Our 3-night stay at the Hotel Ambrose was delightful. If you want a posh, upscale hotel with valet parking and room service, look elsewhere. However, if you are more concerned with a comfortable, clean, quiet, friendly place to stay at a reasonable price, this may be just right for you. And the location is perfect -- museums and wonderful restaurants just steps away, and easy access to the Metro for other attractions. One suggestion: if you are driving to Montreal, be sure to ask for one of the limited parking spaces when you make your reservation. While parking in one of the hotel's spaces is not free, it is about half the cost of parking in a nearby garage.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lee I
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was in Montreal for a conference and had a lovely 3 night stay at Hotel Ambrose. If you are looking for super posh, this might not be the place for you, but if you enjoy a clean, well-appointed, and quirky space, you will have a great time here. My colleague and I were updated to a suite - which was huge! We had a large bedroom with two beds (well, one was a pull-out sofa bed) and a sitting room! Both had flat screen TV's, so an early riser or late to bed person could watch without disturbing anyone. It was a really lovely and clean room with lots of hot water in the bathroom. I was lucky to be on a lower floor and I could imagine that the lack of elevator could be a problem for some. The staff at the front desk were just fabulous - very patient with all our questions. Breakfast was plentiful with a good number of choices. The hotel in within walking distance of the Metro and main streets, but tucked away down a quiet street. I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank 12thNight
Reviewed May 10, 2014

an older building with lots of original victorian charm. The hotel is an old victorian building so lots of original charm still remaining. The room was small but updated and clean. There was no elevator so walking up to third floor on spiral staircase. Very nice if you enjoy older buildings. Bed was very comfortable and staff were very accomodating. We arrived early and they happily stored our luggage and made up our room so we could get in early. Very good value!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DATK1994
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were in Montreal for less than 24 hours and chose this hotel because it was cheap (around $75 in April), in a good location, and had a lot of character. It is located in two converted mansions. It is dated, but very cool. If you like old buildings, and especially old houses you will like Hotel Ambrose. It still maintains a lot of the characteristics of it's 19th century self.

There are a lot of stairs which can by quite awkward. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but I was quite winded by the time I got to my second floor room with all the going up and down and back up and around the spiral staircase with my suitcase. It made for a good workout.

They do have parking in the back which was nice - this way we could leave our car and enjoy ourselves in the city on foot. I didn't try the continental breakfast, but my friend did and she was not impressed. I don't think people go to hotels for continental breakfasts anyway though...

The room we were in was small but functional. The bed was fine and I slept well. We weren't able to control the AC, but it was an unusually warm day in April and opening the windows helped with the stuffiness. I peeked in the room next to use when the door was open for cleaning the next day and it was really cute with a fireplace. So it's nice to know that every room is different with it's own bit of charm.

We were able to walk from the hotel to Old Montreal, Mount Royal, the business districts, China Town, and tons of restaurants. So if you're looking for a place to stay where you don't have to drive, this is it.

Overall, I was very pleased with Hotel Ambrose. Next time I'm in Montreal this will be my hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends