“charming and full of character in a great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Shady Cove, Oregon
“charming and full of character in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were in Montreal for less than 24 hours and chose this hotel because it was cheap (around $75 in April), in a good location, and had a lot of character. It is located in two converted mansions. It is dated, but very cool. If you like old buildings, and especially old houses you will like Hotel Ambrose. It still maintains a lot of the characteristics of it's 19th century self.

There are a lot of stairs which can by quite awkward. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but I was quite winded by the time I got to my second floor room with all the going up and down and back up and around the spiral staircase with my suitcase. It made for a good workout.

They do have parking in the back which was nice - this way we could leave our car and enjoy ourselves in the city on foot. I didn't try the continental breakfast, but my friend did and she was not impressed. I don't think people go to hotels for continental breakfasts anyway though...

The room we were in was small but functional. The bed was fine and I slept well. We weren't able to control the AC, but it was an unusually warm day in April and opening the windows helped with the stuffiness. I peeked in the room next to use when the door was open for cleaning the next day and it was really cute with a fireplace. So it's nice to know that every room is different with it's own bit of charm.

We were able to walk from the hotel to Old Montreal, Mount Royal, the business districts, China Town, and tons of restaurants. So if you're looking for a place to stay where you don't have to drive, this is it.

Overall, I was very pleased with Hotel Ambrose. Next time I'm in Montreal this will be my hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Manrich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I booked the suite for one night, which, the website informed me, had two rooms, with one double and one single bed. There was actually one double bed and two pull-out sofa beds, which is not quite the same thing. So, somewhat misleading, but nothing horrible. However, I had a bath at night and my mother tried to have a bath in the morning; I had lukewarm water and she got something less than that (hence the "tried to"). Water from both sink taps was cold in the morning. When I informed the person at the front desk, he told me the water had to run for a while before it would heat up, and that it was taking a while because it was cold outside, I'm not sure what the outside temperature has to do with the indoor water temperature, but I tried running the water for quite a while in the sink and only got cold water until just before we left (which wasn't much help).

The people who work there are very friendly, the suite itself was charming, and it's a great location. However, when one is paying $160 a night one expects hot water, so I can't help feeling that this place was way overpriced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Helen C
hansning, Manager at Hotel Ambrose, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Hi Helen,

I'm so sorry about your experience with us! We were obviously not at our best. We did find out during your stay that we had a problem with our hot water supply, but have since replaced the whole system. We hope you'll come again!

Thank you for also pointing out the inconsistency with the suite. We had changed the layout recently, but didn't update our site.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

While my home was getting some renovations done, I had to stay in this hotel for about a week. The price was great (around $80/night) though it might vary depending on the season as this was booked during wintertime when not much is going on in Montreal (January).

While it's true what others have said in that there are no elevators (and if you are in the higher floors, it's going to be a bit of a burden to carry a big luggage all the way up there) and the building is old, I think for the price, it's an amazing value.

I needed a place close to my school (McGill) and this one is just about two streets away from it (basically a 5-minute walk to the school)! The room was great, clean and comfortable. Definitely better than any experience I've had with a previous hotel in Montreal (which has a far higher $/night).

The staff were super nice, especially the lady who was very professional and courteous every time I had to ask her for something or whenever I would just leave/enter the building.

Pick your room wisely though or at least go into it knowing what is there. The room I stayed in didn't have a toilet (you had to go down the hall) but just had a shower and a sink. It was more of an open concept space (like a studio) - the shower was basically beside the bed. It sounds weird but the room was big enough that it didn't really bother me as much.

Overall, I had a great stay. The location is excellent (right smack of the downtown core), staff were absolutely marvelous and room was clean and comfy! When folks come to town, I will be more than happy to recommend this to them!

Room Tip: Double check the configuration of the room. Some don't have toilets in them and you'll have...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank tardis23
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in Montreal to see a hockey game. Location is fantastic, price is incredible (if you book online within 6 days of your stay).
Room was clean and had plenty of room. Breakfast was basic and ok.
For the people complaining about this property you have to ask yourself what were they expecting for this price?
Overall, if you need a place to sleep close to downtown on a budget, I definately recommend this propety.
NOTE! We have a large pick up and the parking spots are VERY small. You will need parking spot 3.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Markirvine
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I book this hotel only for a night because we wanted to have a big night out with friends and sleep downtown, so we booked this hotel and it was really great. The staff is really nice and helpful. The breakfast is really better than many places! ;)

Room Tip: No elevator.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tristan L
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I liked the hotel ambience and its very accessible to public transportation and close to downtown.The staff(s) in the hotel are very helpful and friendly.If you are new to Montreal and would like to know where to eat,please ask the staff at the reception-they will tell you excellent restaurant(s).Not recommended for old folks cos its all staircases which might hinder their knee.The breakfast is quite basic but its better than nothing.Coffee/tea are availabe 24hrs.Washroom is not located in room but you do get a private restroom outside your room.

Room Tip: Please check online for single room cos hostel.com do not cater for single room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Sivashangari A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel is in an old house which was pretty cool. Limited parking in the back if you drive your own car. Simple breakfast included, coffee, toast, fruit, cereal etc. I thought the best thing was location was good could walk to many restaurants and shopping. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple