“Friendly and Quaint”

Ranked #69 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Kelowna, Canada
“Friendly and Quaint”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked on the same day and as a result got a great deal so the room was only $95 with parking for the night which is fantastic for right in downtown Montreal. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant and I think had we had more luggage he would have offered to help us up the flights of stairs with it. Room was also very clean and the bed although a double was comfy. My only complaint was that the shower temperature varied but given that it is an old brownstone this is to be expected.

Room Tip: I think there were some rooms without the bathroom in the same room (although still private you woul...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fragglefish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 3, 2013

In a neighborhood full of fancy hotels that also cost an arm and a leg, this is a great value. This property consists of several adjacent rowhouses on rue Stanley that were connected to each other and the rooms converted to hotel rooms. There are winding stairwells, no elevators that I found, the rooms are on the small side, but very well furnished, with good soft linens on the bed, high quality towels in the bathroom, dispensers of some sort of herbal soap/shampoo with rosemary in it. There was a huge flat-screen TV in the room, and an alarm clock with a port for your iPod/iPhone.

The service at the front desk was gracious and extremely helpful, the front desk staff was fluent in both French and English, the continental breakfast was nice and tasty.

My one gripe was the slow and inconsistent WiFi network - sometimes it simply did not work, and at other times it was too slow to do much. The purpose of my trip was business, and like many people these days, I depend on good internet access to do work. During my stay at this hotel, I didn't feel like I could stay in my room and do the work I wanted on my laptop.

In summary, this is a good place to stay if you are in shape to climb hills and stairs, with comfortable rooms and great hospitality from the staff, great value for downtown Montreal, but not the most convenient for a business traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Oleg B
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Chose this hotel based on reviews. Staff is very eager to help and very courteous. No elevators, lots of stairs.
Very comfortable bed and very quiet. Didn't hear a sound. Good continental breakfast. Very old building, but well-kept. Our room had what appeared to be new laminate flooring.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Turpy23
Sasktoon
Reviewed September 3, 2013

So...my wife and I left the booking of the hotel until we were on the way :)... As luck would have it, we found this gem in the heart of the Mount Royal/St Catherines St/downtown area. We had a blast in this mansion-turned-into-a-hotel. The room was great - the service was great - the location was great. The only drawback was the limited/crowded parking and the fact that it was booked for our second night so we had to find another hotel.

Room Tip: Book early ... parking is tight and some of the rooms are small (they will warn you of this) but tha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank negraeffr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was in Montreal on business and stayed at Hotel Ambrose for 7 nights. The Hotel is charming, warm and best of all, the staff are amazing!! They are very friendly and helpful. Every time I came in and out of the Hotel they greeted me with a smile. I stayed in a superior queen room that was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely and it was nice to have coffee and tea available all day long. When I return to Montreal, I will be staying at Hotel Ambrose for sure!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank swissystyle
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed a weekend at Hotel Ambrose and were, overall, satisfied with the experience. Our Superior Queen room was attractive and comfortable, and the service was friendly. The location is excellent, situated right in the Golden Square Mile, a block up from busy and attractive Rue Sherbrooke, the Ritz Carlton, and countless restaurants and upscale shops. All that said, I think there is room for improvement. The breakfast (croissants, toast, cold cereal, and hard boiled eggs) was not particularly impressive and we skipped it our second morning, in favor of something a little more substantial from a nearby cafe. While our room was nice, it was not as clean as it could have been, and after a half hour of crawling around on the floor, my little daughter's feet and knees were grey with dirt. Also, we had some difficulties with the water temperature/pressure in our bathroom and I ended up taking a cold shower because the water wouldn't get warm, no matter what I did with the faucet handle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bethany M
Boulder
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here about eight times in the last couple years, sometimes together, sometimes separately. So I think that already says a lot about this small, family-owned hotel with its friendly and accommodating staff, its very convenient location (five minute' walk to McGill or to the Metro subway), and its value. Other posts have commented on the charming feel of the rooms, and the quality does vary from room to room, with the superior rooms being larger and "prettier," some with fireplaces. All the rooms are cleaned carefully. Breakfast room is always open with fruit and coffee and makes a cozy place to sit at a table and use the Internet (they also have a desktop available for guest use.) If you have a car, there are four parking spots out back but they need to be reserved. Be aware that this hotel is typical of some small inns in Montreal which are two brownstone-type houses joined together. So that means STAIRS going not just up to the floors (no elevator) but even a small set of stairs going up and immediately down where the houses are joined but the levels don't match exactly at that spot. That's where Francois comes in. One time when we had a lot of luggage because our university student daughter was bringing a lot of stuff back to Montreal, Francois merrily said, "I am your elevator." And that is exactly his attitude. He will do whatever it takes to provide you with first-rate service. Everyone needs to experience a hotel clerk like Francois in his or her travels! It is great that everyone else at the front desk of this "manoir" is also ready to give you the warm smile and personal service often missing at larger hotels. That's why we keep on coming back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business