“Good location, no frills rooms”
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #74 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Convenient location, extremely nice, helpful staff. Very quiet, even though Rue Stanley is only half a block from busy, noisy streets. Property is two conjoined, converted houses. Rooms are slightly seedy, not high quality renovation, ugly furniture. Bathroom and sheets/pillowcases are clean, but top quilt and pillow shams on both my visits smelled like they had not been washed for quite a while. No elevator and no porters, but desk staff were kind enough to carry my heavy suitcase up and down the stairs for me. For the price, it is a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank BarbaraC67860713
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ambrose

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was asked to research boutique hotels in Montreal and decided on this hotel due to location of our meeting. It was a very good choice. 12 foot ceilings, clean and oh so quiet. I had the feeling I was there by myself at night although there were other guests. Loved the location. I like to photograph old buildings and this was perfect location-wise. Hope to come back trip or next personal trip.

Room Tip: No pool, the system wouldn't let me deselect. There weren't any elevators so if you have mo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WineFindGirl
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Realy nice old building within 10 minutes of Bell center and only 5 minutes from St-Catherine. A few trees at the front realy complete this older residence. Nice room with realy high ceilings (perfect for basketball players lollll) We enjoyed the continental breakfast and the freindly employees of the hotel. Reserve your parking when you book.

Room Tip: Book a room by the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bobino666
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great location, 2 blocks from the Peel Metro station provides easy access to Old Montreal and everything else. Nice continental breakfast, friendly service. We had a 3rd floor room - including the front step it was 58 stairs to our room, most up a small spiral staircase, pretty tough some days. My only beef was little tiny ants in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Try to get 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TJW1961
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My first impression of the hotel was not very positive.
When I arrived to the hotel it was early August and the weather was very hot with high % of humidity. My room had no fresh air, it was extremely hot and fusty.

Second issue is that the room (37) was placed close to the Security stairs where you have an easy access to the window therefore to the room. This was not convenient for me as I brought expensive devices with me (my mistake?).
So I needed to either take them with me or hide in the language on the key.

Those are the issues that disturbed me the most during my visit. There were of course small things that could be not right to some of you but we need to be realistic – the price is VERY attractive, we can not demand Hilton standards.

Other things are just positive: close to the center, nice personnel, breakfast in the morning (always something to eat from 7.30 to 11am, which was not the case for somebody in previous comments), all the day coffee/water/juice.

You save lot of money especially during summer time. For short period it’s ok/standable.

For the price I think it is a good deal. Just don’t expect big thing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggy_Jas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a charming hotel in a quiet neighborhood in the downtown area. It's more like a bed and breakfast, set in a 1900s Victorian. The beds are comfy, rooms and bathrooms clean, and a nice breakfast that includes chocolate croissants! It's also only a short walk to the metro station. They also have about 3 parking spaces that you can reserve for your stay at $15 a night, with in/out privileges. Overall, a nice place to stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 66 that had a private bath and a bay window overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank willums
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel Ambrose twice: once about 25 years ago with my soon-to-be husband, and recently with my son and some friends to visit McGill and Concordia in Montreal. I thought it was great both times! This time we stayed in the Family Suite and we had plenty of room for 5 people. Lovely architectural details including a fireplace and high ceilings, and a BIG jacuzzi tub. Service was friendly, and breakfast was very French. The location is perfect: on a quiet street, but so close to McGill and the attractions of the city. I would not recommend this place if you are looking for chain hotel amenities, but if you want charm and convenience at good rates, Ambrose is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family