Hotel Ambrose
$184
  • Breakfast included
$250
  • Restaurant
All reviewseconomy roomno elevatorreserved parkinggreat locationcontinental breakfaststanley streetcroissantsquiet streetpeel metro stationgreat night sleepgolden square miledowntown montrealmcgill universitytop floorsmall hotelthird floorprivate bathroom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel Ambrose twice: once about 25 years ago with my soon-to-be husband, and recently with my son and some friends to visit McGill and Concordia in Montreal. I thought it was great both times! This time we stayed in the Family Suite and we had plenty of room for 5 people. Lovely architectural details including a fireplace and high ceilings, and a BIG jacuzzi tub. Service was friendly, and breakfast was very French. The location is perfect: on a quiet street, but so close to McGill and the attractions of the city. I would not recommend this place if you are looking for chain hotel amenities, but if you want charm and convenience at good rates, Ambrose is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank StJohnFan
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We were in Paris surely. A lovely bed and breakfast very well situated near the university. Exceptionally helpful staff, coffee on tap all day, comfy but a bit small room, good breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Ambrose. I stayed in Room #39, located on the 3rd floor in the front of the hotel, for 3 nights. The room was very big, had a nice TV with lots of channels, 2 single comfortable beds and a sink and shower. Only complaint would be the water pressure in the shower was very low and at 5'10" I had to bend my knees a bit to get my head under the shower head. Not the best shower I've ever had. The toilet was just down the hall, but not shared. I was really surprised how big/nice the room was for the price!

The hotel has free WiFi, but the network is unsecured so I was afraid to use it.

All 3 of the receptionists (Ingrid, Francois-Xavier and Sheila) that were on duty during my stay were very kind, helpful and spoke perfect English.

The breakfast was ample and served at a humane time (7:30am - 10:30am). Breakfast consisted of several types of bread, croissants, cheese, hard boiled eggs, yoghurt, fruit, doughnuts and excellent coffee.

Location was good. On a quiet street about 5 - 7 minutes away from the Peel Street Metro station.

I would absolutely stay here again. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RestlessRebecca
Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you are on a tight budget you want to come here. I went to a conference in Montreal and first day stayed in another cheap hotel close to the village but that area does not look safe, is a party zone and is dirty and full of drunk people. Next days I stayed in a 5-star hotel paid by my company and the room was comfortable and clean but not internet connection neither food included. The last couple of days I stayed at Montreal as tourist and moved to Hotel Ambrose. It was as comfortable and clean as the 5-star hotel but it included plasma TV, cable and internet connection. The hotel also offered continental breakfast. The service is excellent, the location is in a quite zone and the room rate was even less than in my first hotel close to the village.

Room Tip: Pick up rooms with bathrooms inside the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank fabula11
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights. We chose this place for the price and for the proximity to the Bell Centre where we were going for a concert. Also, the free breakfast made it a no brainer.

Manoir Ambrose is well worth the money when you are travelling to Montreal.

A few issues though:

1) after a long day of walking around the town, the stairs up to the top floor feel verrrry long....but no complaints. I just need to be in better shape next time.

2) Because it's an old Victorian building, the floors are a bit slanted..even without drinking a sip of alcohol I always felt off balance in the room....if you actually do drink alcohol you will likely fall down the stairs as well as feel off balance in the room!

3) an issue I have never encountered before-the toilet was too close to the wall in the bathroom, and the slant of the floor was towards the wall, so whenever you sat on the toilet your butt would slide and you would hit the wall...the toilet seat was broken so the toilet seat would slide as well....! Kind of funny at the time but a bit of an annoyance. If you are at all a plump person there is a chance you may not 'line up' on the toilet because it is so close to the wall (room # 37 by the way)

4) The hotel kindly supplied a bath mat that we did not use....but should have. Due to the slant in the floor, my husband, after soaping up, slipped in the shower and ended up on the floor outside the tub just missing hitting his head on the toilet....please use the bathmat everyone!

5) Front desk staff were the nicest I have met in a while but.....they gave us wrong information about the express bus to the airport. Two different front desk clerks told us to go to the corner of Peel and M---euve (?) ....I forget the name but there is a Metro station there....well, after getting to the corner at 7 am in the morning and waiting for 30 minutes I managed to find a phone number for the bus company on the map the hotel had given me.....the staff had told us the wrong corner...the express bus is actually at the corner of Peel and Rene-Levesque. We had to run to get there in time so not to miss our flight.

6) carpet in the room was a little grungy....and I didn't feel like walking around without shoes on

7) very nice blankets, pillows and bed linen but the mattress was sagging and I ended up rolling into hubby all the time...

Overall, nice price, breakfast, location, nice character of building, friendly staff, and a nice big flat screen TV on the wall in front of the bed...these things made up for the small annoyances

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnnSatoshi
hansning, Manager at Hotel Ambrose, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you AnnSatoshi for your thorough review. First off, I hope your husband did not hurt himself seriously! Secondly, one of the receptionist who gave you the wrong directions for bus 747 saw this review remembers you and felt badly for the misinformation. He wanted to apologize and won't let that happen again.
Once again, thanks for the review, and we will work to fix the annoyances you pointed out to the best of our ability. We hope to host you again!