“You'll want to settle in for a long stay”
Review of Castel Durocher

Castel Durocher
Concord, Massachusetts
“You'll want to settle in for a long stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was more than homey, it was home. I had the grand suite, which is really a beautifully finished ground floor apartment with a good-size queen bedroom, big bath and an airy living area and kitchen (and its own entrance). Daily flowers, the refrigerator stocked with new treats each day, plus all the necessities for a (French) breakfast. The neighborhood close to McGill has tree-lined streets lined with three and four story brick or stone residences, much more appealing than the brawny center city, which is nonetheless just a few blocks away, and infinitely more charming than the overrun Vieux Montréal down by the port. A great vegetarian restaurant just across the street. Vincent and Sandrine are accomplished hosts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AlecWalker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Belgian Chocolate.

My wife and I spent three wonderful nights at the Castel Durocher with close friends from Quebec this month. From the time we arrived until we left, the hallmark of the experience was the friendliness of Sandrine, Vincent, their assistants and family. No question was too odd; no request left unfulfilled. We booked the two bedroom "Stained Glass Suite".

Belgian Chocolate.

Each day started off with complementary fresh croissants, a baguette and fruit with yoghurt. The kitchen was well stocked with the more than just kitchen basics, coffee, milk, etc. The bedrooms were comfortable and spacious as were the sitting/dining room and kitchen.

Belgian Chocolate.

The proximity to McGill University, Sherbooke Street and Rue St. Catharines made the location ideal. It was an $8.00 cabbie fee from the "Old City/Port". Everything was close. Restaurants were abundant and nearby with the best choices and prices on Rue St. Arthur....a little east of Castel Durocher. Overnight parking was also available at no additional cost.

We couldn't ask for more and will return for certain.

Thanks to Sandrine and Vincent who were most hospitable hosts.

There was also Belgian Chocolate...real Belgian Chocolate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidHutton41
Edmonton, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My 2 friends and I were in Montreal for the Osheaga music festival. After an unexpected cancelation at the previous place we were going to stay, we got a tip that Castel Durocher had the "Stained Glass" room. The Stained Glass room is a basement suite (though well lit), and has hardwood floors, a kitchenette, two bedrooms (with three beds), and a great sitting area. After calling and being warmly greeted by the owners, we had a place! Sandrine and Vincent are the owners, and it's plain to see how much they care about providing the best possible stay, from the personalized welcome message on the front door, to the in-depth recommendations on where to go to enjoy Montreal, to the home made chocolate and warm croissants they provide every morning. Furthermore, the location can't be beat. I don't think we ever had to walk more than half an hour to any of the popular streets in Montreal, especially if you consider how close the Metro was. I can't say enough great things about this place, and I will 100% be back next year!

Room Tip: We only know about the Stained Glass room, which features 2 bedrooms: one queen bed in one, and two...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christopher F
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A home away from home. Beautiful appartments in the heart of Montreal. Walking distance to all major attractions. But most important, a welcoming host family who goes out of their way to make guests feel comfortable. The home-made chocolates, bath salt, and stylishly filled refridgerator add to the charm of the rooms. A highly recommended place to sejourn while in Montreal!!

Room Tip: Do choose your preferred room from the well-designed website. The pool and the gym are available at...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernadette D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is almost second home! I found this special B&B by chance in August 2010, and ever since we always come back. Nicer than staying in a hotel room. You have a well-equiped kitchen, with lots of pots and pans. You can cook your own meal. Breakfast is a meal to look forward to, with croissants and pains au chocolat, baguette left on your table. The fridge is full with delicious surprises (homemade chocolates, juices, fruits, yogurts, etc)!
I love the concept. You have your own little apartment (from studio to 2-bedrooms), everything is nicely set (wooden floors).
I would definitely recommend. Thank you Vincent and Sandroine for your super-nice hospitality. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A warm welcome from Sandrine and Vincent family when I arrived with my daughter to stay at Castel Durocher for 3 nights to visit my son who is studying in McGill Universsity. Castel Durocher is located downtown and close to all facilities we need, metro, bus, restaurants, shops and McGill University. Thanks to Sandrine and Vincent, we stayed in the 2 bedroom flat where I was able to cook different dishes for my son's friends . Let alone that we had the great pleasure to be invited and taste Vincent home made chocolate's degustation (we really enjoyed that moment!) !!! The appartment is very comfortable and very clean!!! well decorated and charming!! We felt like home! What can we say more! choose to stay at Castel and meet this lovely familly. You won't regret it!
Thank you again Sandrine and Vincent for your hospitality and your kindest.
Best wishes and hope to come back soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Solange d
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have travelled a great deal all over the world and we both agree that we have never met better hosts or being as delighted to arrive somewhere (except perhaps our honeymoon in Mauritius!). We were lucky enough to be travelling round the US and Canada for a month with our 20 month old son and arrived here half way through our trip. Sandrine met us and was so warm and thoughtful. The fridge was full of delicious essentials and treats (including things like juice and yoghurt for our son) and the chocolate I would pay money to ship to England if I possibly could! The apartment felt like luxury accomodation and very loved. Not the soulless decor of other places but interesting and clearly costly pieces of art and furniture. Bed was comfy, bath and shower great. We stayed in the Grande Suite. And location also excellent. With a toddler and push chair we got everywhere easily and my husband enjoyed his scenic runs in the morning in Parc Royal. The organic supermarket Eden was a highlight of Sandrine's recommendations! I honestly could write forever of Vincent and Sandrine's excellent company. I feel we left as friends. They are clearly just people who do this because they love it and it shows. We recommend it without any reservation.

• Stayed August 2012