“Great spot and great value”

Auberge de la Place Royale
Ranked #6 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. The location is one block off the street where the restaurants are so it was relatively quiet and convenient. We had a third floor room with a beautiful king bed with two small step stools on each side of the bed. The room was huge and nicely appointed.

The receptionist Julia was super nice and even wrote up a note for us with recommendations and directions for parking in case we got there after reception closed. Parking is hit or miss….There are two lots (both $20 a day). The one lot closest to the hotel was full (Friday night) so it was a 10-15 minute walk to the other lot.

Things to consider

In spirit, this is a walk up hotel and a key code access building (after 6 PM.) We were totally fine with that, but others may want an elevator and full time receptionist. You will pay a ton more that though.

Breakfast is next door at a small cafe and was excellent. Uri, the proprietor, did a nice job and the food and coffee were great. I’ve uploaded a photo of breakfast.

Final touch… they have a guitar for the guests…nice touch. We’ll come back. Great value for the money and we loved the location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted C

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The GOOD.. This hotel is located in a prime area of Old Montreal, near all of the fun (and expensive!) things to do. Parking nearby. ($20 per 24 hours). Room was quaint, bed was comfortable, bathroom big and clean, more than enough hot water.... The BAD...Our room faced a narrow alley with a building 12 feet across from us. Not quite the beautiful view of the river that is advertised on the web. There is no room service as stated on the web. The included free breakfast is provided by a small cafe next door. The breakfast consists of a croissant, one piece of toast and a small container of yogurt with some fruit on it. Not bad, but you have no choice. You get what they give you, and it's the same thing every day. Our room was 4 floors up.. No elevator, no one to help with bags. (in fact, there was no staff present at all except for a few hours one afternoon.). The UGLY... We were woken up both mornings around 6:00 AM by extremely loud truck activity in the alley. Garbage trucks, delivery trucks etc.. This went on all morning.. Very disturbing.

Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Bill B
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Spacious rooms, well decorated, large sparkling white bathrooms, spotless clean, friendly bilingual service, helpful ideas for the new traveller, ideal location, seconds from the main drag of Old Quebec and a 10 minute walk to downtown and the Ports is on your doorstep, European breakfast (somewhat small by Canadian standards), and a very affordable price. Two notes: parking is not normally included in Old Montreal Hotels packages. There is parking at the Ports (a fair bit of a walk) and 3 on Francis Xavier St. nearby (5 minute walk). Be sure that you ask when overnight parking ends - it often is 6 am. - meaning which you get your car towed and tagged if you have not prepaid the following daytime fee. Parking ranges from $20-$25 per day. I went to the lot with a full-time attendant, up Xavier St. a ways. There is an off loading parking zone to unload bags in front of the hotel. Also, there is no bus boy, so if you are concerned about humpng up your luggage 4 storeys, be sure to ask what floor you can be placed. I had a sore back and could only muster up strenght for the first or second floor. This may be true of many of the hotels in Old Montreal that could not fit in or afford elevator retrofits. Be sure to ask. Great spot, great price. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask about parking fees/locations, breakfast, if there is an elevator, bus boy?, and what floor you a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

stayed here from 7th to the 14th of sept first the good ,fab location, but thats about it , the room we were given was large clean but very dark even in the day time you needed a light on of which there were only table lamps and one light in the door way , the room faced another hotel you could see into their windows so i am sure they could see into ours and it was very noisey first thing in a morning between 7&8 think it was lorries emptying rubbish & bottles so you could not have a lie in which is what you want when your on holiday . when we told the lady on reception we were dissapionted with the room which we got on a deal from booking .com we were told what do you expect when you book acconomy but no where on the web site is there a photo of the room we were given which was room 304 up three flights of stairs . i have to say that most of the rooms looked amazing ,they left the doors open when the rooms were vacant but dont book one on a deal you will get the worse room in the hotel .we were also told that on the last day we could keep the room till 3 but then the cleaners were knocking on the door at 2.20 telling us that was not correct & we had to get out asap overall i have never been so dissapionted with a stay in a hotel i am ussually very easy to please , oh but the breakfast in the cafe next door was very good

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cglynis
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I just stayed 2 nights at the Auberge with my parents and had a fantastic time. We drove up from New York and planned on arriving late at night. I emailed the hotel ahead of time, then called reception the day of arrival and they had already planned an easy way for me to check in. They drew me up a map, gave precise instructions, and made it very painless (especially being tired at 2am). The room was very nice and spacious. Everything was very clean, except the area rug had some kind of pet hair on it, I would have appreciated if they had gone over with a lint roller. Our black luggage got hair all over it when placed on the rug. We had 4 large windows open up onto the street and waterfront - such a cool and unique room. This was what I had hoped for when staying in Montreal - not some cookie cutter business hotel room.

The next morning we had a nice breakfast in the cafe next door (complimentary) with coffee, tea, pastries, fruit, yogurt, granola, and toast. It was really nice sitting on the patio and just enjoying ourselves.

We parked on the piers across the waterfront for $20 a night, not a bad deal considering the prices of the really upscale hotels nearby. I loved this hotel's location - walking distance to the Vieux Montreal and Place d'armes subway station. We found ourselves going to the Plateau Mont Royal district a lot to eat - the 55 bus goes straight up Boulevard St. Laurent - so simple.

Julia at the reception was extremely friendly and helpful. Other people are correct, there isn't someone on hand 24 hours a day; I noticed the staff were in maybe from 8-5. It did slightly make it difficult if I had a question at night, but I had my Lonely Planet guide and of course the internet to research. Free wireless was a breeze, too, though it didn't work outside at the cafe. Our room was made up by housekeeping during the late morning as well. All in all, this was definitely a perfect choice for our first visit to Montreal - we would definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a first time I leave a negative review of any hotel.
I will start with the positives: convenient location, good Wi-Fi, included mini-breakfast.
Here is the unpleasant part that I want to share with fellow tourists.
The reserved room did not have the advertised number of sleeping beds even though it clearly stated so on the reservation. Apparently they absolutely must know how many people arrive. None of the places I've stayed before require this to know. If the customer paid for the room with advertised certain number of sleeping beds, the customer is supposed to get this room regardless of how many people are in his party. By the way, half of the hotel was empty but according to the receptionists they didn't want to move us to another room because they didn't want to clean another room. Nice!
So just to summarize it: unprofessional, unfriendly and nonresponsive customer service, lack of receptionists most of the time, cheap and noisy AC (see photos), spider webs and huge spiders on the windows (see photos). They don't clean the rooms during the stay and they don't even remove the trash from the trash bins. All of the complains were met with the responses like: "It feels fine, so you should feel fine too" or "We are recently opened, we are just a 3* hotel, and that's why we are so inexpensive".
Even though their rooms are extra-spacious, they don't know how to properly maintain them.
It was impossible to contact the owners because they were on vacation. It didn't look like they care about their customers. I have read similar reviews on multiple websites. Nothing changed.
AVOID this place if you don't want to be unpleasantly surprised. There are plenty of better and not much more expensive or similarly priced accommodations in lovely Montreal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PerfectStranger_12
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights a few weeks ago . Firstly to focus on the positive…the hotel is in a very convenient location in the old town across from the port within walking distance of good pubs and restaurants. We were pleased with our room which was bright, spacious and clean. Now for the not-so-positive…the reception area was rarely staffed, in the fact the only time I saw anybody at reception was when we were checking in. The only way of contacting a staff member when the reception is not staffed it by calling the hotel phone number. During our stay we enquired about the availability of a room for a third night – I was told that there was availability. I said that I would call a staff member to let them know if we wanted to go ahead and book an extra night. As it happened we decided not to stay the extra night. To my surprise that evening I arrived back to the hotel to find that a receipt for payment had been slipped under the door – my credit card had been charged for an extra night. I rang the reception and they assured me that my card had not been charged – that this was simply in the event of us deciding to stay an extra night. I was happy enough with this response and didn’t think any more of it. The following day however after we had checked out I checked my bank account and noticed that my credit card had indeed been charged for an extra night which I hadn’t authorised. I rang the hotel and spoke to the owner, it was 9pm at night and she told me in a very unfriendly manner that she would check in the morning to see if there had been a mistake and that it was very late and she was in bed! I was not impressed – especially since I had spoken to her the previous day and been reassured that my card had not been charged. I understand that mistakes can happen but I felt her manner was rude and unnecessary. My card was actually reimbursed eventually so all’s well that ends well but it wasn’t a very pleasant encounter. In addition if you have a car you have to park it in a local car park at a charge of $18 a day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple