“Bite-sized history of Montreal”

Centre d'Histoire de Montreal
Book In Advance
More Info
$93.06*
and up
Montreal Attraction Pass
Ranked #67 of 418 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in a former fire station, this museum explores Montreal's history from the 1600s to the present.
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We enjoyed our visit to this museum and it was good value for CAD $6 each. It has a simple but effective approach and we'd recommend it to anyone that wants a quick and enjoyable introduction to Montreal's history. When we visited in mid-May 2014 there was a floor dedicated to Montreal's period of being the party-capital of North America - it focused on drink, music, prostitution and corruption - very interesting.

2  Thank Magic C

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The exposition on Scandal about Montreal between 1940-60 is fabulous, with lots of multimedia and interactive displays. However what really impressed me was that this place is set up to be comfortable and accessible to those who are mobility challenged (or tourists with sore feet). Unlike most of the museums we went to in montreal, this place is fully accessible for wheelchairs, and also, has chairs and areas to sit in each of the little module areas of the display area, so someone on a cane can move easily from one area to another. Each module has interesting things to look at, or listen to, read or watch. I was very impressed with how they made this interesting, different, and how accessible it is as well.

2  Thank kristina a
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have to say. My impressions of the Centre d'Historie de Montreal changed considerably after I visited the more famous & glamorous Point-A-Calliere Museum.

The Centre D'Historie gave me a very good footing which served me very well when I visited Point-a-Calliere. Having visited both museums on consecutive days I learned very much about the history of Montreal and came away feeling like I really knew a lot about this great city.

The Centre d'Historie presents the development of Montreal in a very hands-on, easy to understand way. The history of the city begins with the indigenous population (of which you will learn on the ground floor) and continues with the invasion of the European powers from the 1600's onward, until modern day Montreal, with its characteristic French-English-Canadian features. The museum uses several media (pictures, books, tactile exhibits, video, audio etc) to give you a 360-degrees understanding of life in Montreal from its inception until today.

I also really enjoyed the exhibition "Scandal" which described Montreal during the years of Prohibitionism (in the USA) and how the city was able to adapt to cater to a lot of thirsty Americans and grew into the "Paris of the West".

I recommend visiting this museum first and then (possibly the next day as there is a lot of information to metabolize), paying a visit to the Point-A-Calliere Museum, to all those who are interested in learning about the history of Montreal.

4  Thank el_ser83
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The special exhibit Scandal is a must-see! The staff did an extraordinary job of presenting the story Montreal from 1940-1960 during the time of US prohibition, This is a part of history that often gets overlooked, but such an interesting period. The audio visuals are captivating.
I was disappointed in the permanent exhibit as there was way too much reading of insignificant facts and seemed disjointed even though it was arranged by period. I would have liked summaries stating the important facts that I could delve into more if I wished. I do like to spend time reading museum placards but I don't have time to read a whole history book. I will be sure to check out the temporary visits in the future and hope they are as well done as Scandals.

3  Thank jandmVermont
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stacy and I spent about an hour visiting the Centre d'Histoire de Montreal on 27 September (2013). This is a great place to spend an hour that will help you learn the wonderful heritage of Montreal.

4  Thank Jim L