“Five stars IF done BEFORE Point a Calliere”

Centre d'Histoire de Montreal
Book In Advance
More Info
$92.22*
and up
Montreal Attraction Pass
Ranked #64 of 411 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in a former fire station, this museum explores Montreal's history from the 1600s to the present.
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Five stars IF done BEFORE Point a Calliere”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have to say. My impressions of the Centre d'Historie de Montreal changed considerably after I visited the more famous & glamorous Point-A-Calliere Museum.

The Centre D'Historie gave me a very good footing which served me very well when I visited Point-a-Calliere. Having visited both museums on consecutive days I learned very much about the history of Montreal and came away feeling like I really knew a lot about this great city.

The Centre d'Historie presents the development of Montreal in a very hands-on, easy to understand way. The history of the city begins with the indigenous population (of which you will learn on the ground floor) and continues with the invasion of the European powers from the 1600's onward, until modern day Montreal, with its characteristic French-English-Canadian features. The museum uses several media (pictures, books, tactile exhibits, video, audio etc) to give you a 360-degrees understanding of life in Montreal from its inception until today.

I also really enjoyed the exhibition "Scandal" which described Montreal during the years of Prohibitionism (in the USA) and how the city was able to adapt to cater to a lot of thirsty Americans and grew into the "Paris of the West".

I recommend visiting this museum first and then (possibly the next day as there is a lot of information to metabolize), paying a visit to the Point-A-Calliere Museum, to all those who are interested in learning about the history of Montreal.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank el_ser83

vermont
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Superb special exhibit - Scandal”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The special exhibit Scandal is a must-see! The staff did an extraordinary job of presenting the story Montreal from 1940-1960 during the time of US prohibition, This is a part of history that often gets overlooked, but such an interesting period. The audio visuals are captivating.
I was disappointed in the permanent exhibit as there was way too much reading of insignificant facts and seemed disjointed even though it was arranged by period. I would have liked summaries stating the important facts that I could delve into more if I wished. I do like to spend time reading museum placards but I don't have time to read a whole history book. I will be sure to check out the temporary visits in the future and hope they are as well done as Scandals.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank jandmVermont
Saint Paul, Minnesota
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Montreal's History & Culture”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stacy and I spent about an hour visiting the Centre d'Histoire de Montreal on 27 September (2013). This is a great place to spend an hour that will help you learn the wonderful heritage of Montreal.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Jim L
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic History Museum!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

If you're interested in the history of Montreal, this is a must-see! It's also quite affordable at $6 for an adult ticket. The permanent exhibit tells the story of the city up to modern times. It's very well-designed and engaging! I actually liked it better than Point a Calliere. The temp exhibit was under construction when we were there but looked really interesting too.

1 Thank Emily V
Dallas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“so much better than I expected”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I loved this museum. The exhibits are so well put together. I really felt that I got a strong understanding of the history of Montreal. They take you from the Iroquois to current times in such an interesting way. Very well done. I knew so little about the history of the area and I felt that I was so informed once I left. Should definitely be on your list for Old Montreal.

Visited July 2013