“Tired looking room, no free internet or bottled water...Toto I don't think I am at a Starwood Hotel!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
Ranked #45 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

I did not book the hotel but was looking for the stay anyway since I heard a lot of great things.

Check in was quick, efficient, and very friendly. I was on the 20th floor in Queen bed room. The room was clean but looked very dated and tired. The furniture definitely could use a bit of polish and chairs need to come out of the 80's.

My first disappointment was no free internet. $ 15 for skyping my kids back home. I did sleep well. The bed and the pillow was comfortable and slept almost immediately.

The heat was a problem. Turned the heat all the way up but didn't change the temperature. It wasn't until I left the room the next morning that I noticed the hall way was a lot warmer than my room. But I did not freeze my bum but then again my wife complaints I am very 'cold blooded' and tolerate a cold room than most people! ;0

The other disappointment was when I woke up in the morning, I realized there wasn't any bottle water other than a $8 Evian bottle. So it was the tap water with a mug. The shower and sink was so, so. Again very tired looking and need a refurbishment.

The gym was spacious and I really enjoy it. With 10 people in the gym, it did not feel cramp and I like to lemon water. The equipment was good and enjoyed my morning run.

Other than the tired room, the Fairmont was a decent hotel and staff was friendly and efficient. All pluses in my books. My problem was that my expectations where not managed and I realize how I am use to the free internet and bottled waters that Starwood would provide. It is the little things that made me pause but then again aren't the little things that would make people come back?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel having never been to Montreal previously. The check-in was simple and is located in a large lobby decked out with marble and gold. I was staying Fairmont Gold and went to the lounge for nibbles and a drink. Cracking view across the city and the choice of food was great and just what I wanted: fish, salad, meats and cheeses. My guest room was comfortable and clean and I had a great nights' sleep. If you're going to stay in Montreal, stay at the Fairmont as it is attached to the train station and has easy access to all the best things that the town has to offer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob S
West Grove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

My wife and booked a long weekend getaway to Montreal through Amtrak Vacations for our anniversary. The Queen Elizabeth was one of the options available to us, so after looking through the reviews, we decided to get it. We weren't disappointed. First, the location couldn't be more convenient. The hotel is connected to Montreal Central Station by means of escalator and elevator, so getting from the train to the hotel was as easy as walking down the hall. Also, the hotel connects to Montreal's vast underground city, of which Central Station is a part, meaning a quick elevator ride takes you to a vast array of shops, cafes, and restaurants, as well as the Montreal subway system.

Turning to the hotel itself, when we arrived, we learned that due to a slight mix-up, Amtrak Vacations booked us a queen room instead of a king room. My wife is 6 1/2 months pregnant and a bed that small wasn't an option, so I asked for a king. We were pleased tp learn that for only $50 more a night, we could be upgraded to the concierge level (the "Gold" level), which we jumped at. We weren't disappointed. The room was fantastic, with a postcard-perfect view of the skyline and Mary Queen of the World Basilica. Access to the Gold Lounge on the next floor above came with the price of admission, which offered breakfast in the morning, snacks all day, and apertifs and desserts in the evening, not to mention the most comfortable couches I've sat in in a long time overlooking the city.

The concierges - both upstairs and down in the main lobby - couldn't have been more helpful. On our first night my wife needed a bandage because she ripped a small hangnail, so I called down to ask if they had one. Not only was someone up within 3 minutes with a bandage, but they also asked if we needed a doctor... no, but I'm glad they asked! Similarly, every staff member we encountered was unfailingly polite and courteous.

The room was very comfortable, although the bathroom was a tad cramped, which seems to be a problem with a lot of hotels. Comfort-wise, the bed was great, especially after a long train trip from Delaware, and we had no problems with outside noise.

The hotel has a number of restaurants as well as the Beaver Club lounge & bistro. We had a great dinner at the Le Montrealais bistro as well as a room-service dinner on our last night. Surprisingly, the room service menu wasn't too high, although the minibar prices came close to highway robbery (CDN$ 5 for a Toblerone bar? CDN $8.50 for a bottle of Evian water? Yikes!).

Little known but interesting fact: John Lennon and Yoko Ono's famous "Bed-In", where "Give Peace a Chance" was recorded, took place at The Queen Elizabeth in 1969. Turned out we were one floor above where it all happened. Surprisingly, the hotel does not market this fact very much. I had to look up the hotel's Wikipedia page to find it out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

We spent 2 separate nights at the Queen Elizabeth going to and coming back from
Quebec city. We travelled by train and therefore the Queen E could not be more
convenient, being right above the train station. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Our rooms were small but spotlessly clean and fairly modern. The first night our room faced the church and was nice and quiet. However, the second night our room faced Rene Levesque Blvd and was very noisy. We could hear trains, sirens and traffic all night. We were impressed that, even though we arrived for the second night at 10:45 a.m., our room was ready and we were allowed to check in. Food at the bar and at the Montrealais was very good but pricey. All in all,we were very impressed and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
drbex999
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and got an upgrade to a superior room. There was a nice amount of space, very clean and quiet.

Bar area is nice and the staff all friendly. Restaurant was OK but would eat out next time.

I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Brewer, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

We decided to take a little overnight getaway to Montreal. I booked the hotel through Expedia. What a great decision! This hotel was so convenient to everything! The underground city/Metro is an elevator ride down from the beautiful lobby. It was fantastic service from the minute we walked through the door until the minute we left. The only complaints we have were that there were no phone books in the rooms and the tub drain had an issue. All in all it was a fabulous stay. The room was gorgeous with a great view.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

My two friends and I stayed here for 4 nights. We had a regular room with two double beds, which looks pretty small on the website, but was spacious enough for the three of us.

This hotel was a great location for shoppping and exploring Old Montreal, which is within walking distance. Close to the metro, it can easily take you to many other attractions. This hotel is within walking distance of Bell Centre and McGill campus. It is connected to the underground shopping network (30km) that will take you to many malls and shops on St. Catherines. Also, the 747 bus to and from the airport picks up and drops off within steps of the hotel (only $7 each way, and includes a 24 hour metro pass!!).

We had no problems with the room, other than as "President's Club" members we were supposed to have in-room internet -- it was not wireless, so don't assume if that's what you need. There seemed to be free internet in the lobby, which worked out OK.

The housekeeping staff was great. However, whoever is supposed to pick up the dishes after someone has ordered room service doesn't seem to be very prompt and so there is often the odd tray of dirty dishes sitting in the hallway for up to 24 hrs.

Concierge desk was fantastic! They had many suggestions for shopping, restaurants and attractions. Always helpful and friendly!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends