“A Montreal engagement”

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“A Montreal engagement”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Fairmont over Valentines weekend, which also happens to be my boyfriend's birthday. The hotel itself was just OK. When we arrived we pulled up to the front of the hotel and went inside to check-in and find out about parking. The front desk informed us that they do indeed have valet parking - for $25 per day - and that we should speak with the doorman. My only complaint of the entire weekend would be that doorman. Our car was parked directly in front of the hotel about 7 cars down and when we tried to give him our keys he said, no that's too far away. He told us we would have to go move it ourselves around to the side door of the hotel. The street was one way, it was rush hour and this was just a hassle we didn't not need or want upon our arrival in Montreal! I stood in the hotel lobby for at least 20 minutes while my boyfriend served as valet, it was not appreciated at all.
The hotel itself wasn't bad - they certainly don't go out of their way however.
We got engaged though so it was still the best weekend ever!

3 Thank Siobhan1414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 7, 2009

My mum and I went to Montreal for a shot visit originating from Toronto.
We stayed at The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth which is a great place to stay if you visit Montreal for pleasure or business. It's conveniently located above the Via Rail station and it's connected to the city underground (The closest stations Peel & Bonaventure)
The rooms are spacious and clean. Nice furnished and elegant. There is Internet service in the rooms for an extra charge, which I wasn't happy about. The room service is not available 24 hours which is a bit disappointing.
Since the hotel has so many connection to the streets, train & underground system, the management should improve their security policy. There are no security guards after 12 AM. Everybody have access to public hotel areas including elevator and floors. During my stay I saw some estrange people hanging out on the floor.
My overall experience was good, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank HWatt
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stayed at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth back in January with my boyfriend and we had an excellent stay, Check in was a breeze and front desk was very helpful. Make sure you sign up for the Fairmont Club Membership. You received complimentary internet connection, newspaper and express check out.

Our room was located on the 17th floor and was very clean and well kept during out 3 night stay. The hotel has an underground shopping centre which has a few shops and a small food court perfect for a quick snak. Continue walking and you will get to Eaton Centre. We went on a very cold weekend so this was very helpful. The hotel is also right beside a huge beautiful church.

It was my first time in Montreal and I thought the Fairmont was just great. Enjoy your stay :)

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank love2travel123
Reviewed March 20, 2009

This is the first time I have stayed at Fairmont The Queen E. although I am a Fairmont Presidents Club Member, It was a Valentines getaway weekend to Montreal from Toronto. We took the VIA 1 Train, and that was the reason I booked the QE. It's location on top of Central Station. Montreal can be cold in February (and It was).
This hotel is dated! The lobby looks like 1959 leftovers, even the newer remodeled rooms are small, and un appealing. I have stayed on numerous occasions at both the Delta Centreville, and the Hilton Bonnevanture, both excellent hotels with stunning rooms. Especially the Delta Centreville. Here at Queen E, we had a room on the 19th floor - all non smoking floor, but unfortunately the adjoining room had smokers and their smoke billowed through the adjoining room door. I called the front desk on several occasions to complain (4 times during our stay) and nothing was done. Upon check-out I mentioned this to the front desk clerk, she apologized, but stated because tourism was down in Montreal, they did not want to loose a guest just because he was smoking. Well to that I added, you just lost one (me) because of this. I did use the (or should I say tried to use) the fitness facilities and pool, but it was so crowded with kids (under 12) and noisy The facilities are also small for a hotel this size. I have stayed in mid priced Holiday Inn's with bigger and better facilities. ...We barely stepped in to the pool to be jumped on by some 12 year old. Same in the hot tub, filled with kids. Don't get me wrong I like kids, but as they say been there done that, this was suppose to be a romantic getaway. We did not eat at any of the hotels restaurants, preferring to dine at some of Montreal's finer dining establishments. Even if we wanted to dine, at breakfast at the Montrealer, the wait was over an hour, instead we made our way to Old Montreal and a nice Creperie. Our weekend was not spoiled as we enjoyed the sights and sounds of Montreal and Mt. Tremblant. We really only used the hotel as a place to sleep. And even then the beds were hard, and uncomfortable. and the room smelled of smoke! (from next door). I would never stay here again! And would not recommend this hotel to anyone. To bad because the location is great. Perhaps the Fairmont executives should pay this hotel a visit and get it up to the standards that one is accustomed to at Fairmont Hotels!!!!

2 Thank zippy1030
MD
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I've been to montreal maybe 50-60 times over the past 10 years but had never stayed at this hotel. Now I'm not sure that I'll stay anywhere else! You just can't beat the location, and it's a solid 4 star hotel. It's not gonna wow you like a Loews or something of that nature, but it is a very nice, very well kept hotel. The best thing about it is that it is connected into the underground city, with numerous breakfast/coffee options just an elevator away. The train station and metro are right there too, no need to ever go outside on a freezing winter day. You can walk to all the nightlife on St Catherine/Crescent Street within a few minutes. Park in the garage behind the hotel and you'll save a few bucks.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank RockfishHunter
Bangalore, India
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed at the Fairmont for 3 days...
Location could not have been better for us as we ViaRail'ed it from Toronto to Montreal and the Hotel was above the station...also very close to lots of shopping and restaurants and with direct access to "the underground city" of Montreal
Hotel itself is very big and busy and the reception is always crowded...
Lobby wasn't anything great to speak off but the rooms, in my opinion were very nice, Large neat with all modern amenities.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveller365
Herenow
Reviewed February 17, 2009

First off, and to address a couple of negative remarks that others have left: Yes, the beds are firm at the Q.E.....just like they are in the rest of Canada, Europe and everywhere else I've been outside the U.S. We are the only country I'm aware of who sells and sleeps so many "soft" mattresses. (Oddly enough, you also won't find dozens of Chiropractic offices lining the streets in any of these places with waiting areas full of incredibly overweight people with canes and walkers like here in the U.S. either.)

At the Q.E., however, we found that the soft high end sheets, comfy duvets, and nice, big, thick natural feather pillows (fibre-filled ones are readily available for the asking for those so allergenic) were pretty darn accommodating for the 3 great night's sleep there that we just returned from. We had a nicely appointed well updated and clean standard room with King and booked in response to a very good, recent Travelzoo.com rate offer, obviously intended to bolster off season revenue.

Service/staff was friendly, professional, yet genuinely personable throughout, something we - as inn-owners ourselves, catch onto most quickly. The flowers, ordered locally in advance, were awaiting our arrival and the room was ready to a tee.

Yep, the standard rooms aren't the largest. That's why it's a standard room.... (Um?)
The bath is also smaller, so if you're planning on an "in-hotel experience only" and elbow room is a key issue you may want to check out the other room options. If you brought all the kids along to a romantic city like this then that's your own personal problem and I can't help ya'. (You blew the grandparent option. Not me!)

The one negative (!) that we will forward to Q.E. management directly was around the fitness club/pool hot tub (...never waste your perfectly good time, air and brain cells telling this sort of negative operations stuff to the poor attendant/staff that a.) don't have any direct control over an issue/problem. b.) may not forward your issue/problem along up the ladder for various reasons, including they don't want to bear any mis-directed blame for it) It wasn't clean, period.

On Saturday, we thought the foam ring may have just been the result of heavy Valentine's Day use since the Hotel, and tub, was pretty busy. Then we noticed a scummy dark ring along the top of the tub... OK, maybe it was very busy....? Well, the same ring and even more foam was in the tub on Sunday and we weren't(!). We own/offer/maintain a hot tub in our own establishment so I feel fair in saying that the Q.E. tub needs some better TLC given this hotels 1000+ rooms.

The pool, locker room, etc., were all nicely upgraded, seemingly well maintained/clean, and fine by us, but the hot tub was our one turn-off/negative and a substantial one given public health issues. So there it is, the down and dirty...ring, which could be cured by nightly drain-outs and refills like cruise ships do. (Hey, if you're going to offer a hot tub, the inherent operating costs are what keep an establishment from ever having some reputation damaging outbreak of "yech-i-tis" The rest of our stay was so good that it's actually sad to write this, but it's a potentially serious issue given the public access.....

All-righty then, enough of that... The Q.E. location is great!! As has been said, it's right above the Central Station (train) and Underground Montreal access, which is sprawling and the prime reason we went to Montreal in February (Like, huh???) The underground is amazing in terms of scope and architecture and includes hundreds (!) of retail stores, restaurants, tailor's/laundries, florists, , etc., etc., and interconnects all the major hotels, the Bell Center, the trade show halls, banks, the Place de Arts, and colleges by a labyrinth of 20 miles of very well lit, clean, modern tunnel ways. THIS is both very cool AND the largest such underground in the world. ...All major cards gladly accepted everywhere here shopping maniacs!

Shops range from El cheapo (less then 10%), to his and her Rolex's and all in-between.
The Premiere-Moison bakery is just below the hotel and is excellent (gets the Montreal 5 star equivalent) and you can find a cuban cigar at the little newstand/shop just around corner off the main hall of Central Station by asking the blond gal who runs it (Cigars are in an enclosed humidor so you have to ask, as I did/learned) Again, all this is just below the Q.E. and there's also a McD's/Subway and a Canada clone of Staple's Office Supply.

What was really cool was that we like to walk and we were able to walk from the Q.E. to an exhibit at the Place de Arts, some 15 or 16+ blocks away, in just shirts and sweaters because we never had to step a foot outside to get there. We could have walked to/from our room right over to the Celine Dion concert at the Bell Center the same way and beat all the street crowd/fray. Very Cool!

The only meal we did at the Q.E. is the one we'd recommend if you'll be there on full weekend, the Sunday Brunch! Par De Excellence! This was a veritable treat, even considering that we are in close proximity to Northampton MA, the undisputed dining mecca of Western New England. The Q.E. hosts an excellent brunch that included everything from custom omelets and crepes, to sauteed mushrooms, smoked and baked salmon, an entire table of gourmet salad dishes, all sorts of Quebecoise desserts to di..., well, just count your calories and cholesterol, OK!

Anyway, there was way too much to list for $33.00 CAN (about $25 US as of 02/15) per person and there was no rush to move anyone out the door, just plenty of very good, well prepared, food. We were glad we slept in past the morning breakfast buffet because we'll go back for this meal in the future - even if we don't stay here, now that we know about it!! Lot's of Montreal locals present attested to the overall value.

Last positive, and note the timing... The Q.E. gym gets an A in terms of hotel gym facilities. If you do the buffet it might be time to check out this well equipped, cleanly modern facility. This is NOT one of those after-thought gyms that you find stuck into an old janitor's closet all too often. Well lit, roomy, and modern with full time and congenial staff lives at the Q.E.

I'd kill to have a local gym like this within 10 miles of home here, and again, the only real neg. was that damn hot tub.... which will probably be set right soon after I cut, paste, and forward this review along to the Q.E.'s home management team at Fairmont. ;-)

Parking! SUV folks note that the garage ($26/day) accommodates up to 6' 6" vehicles, small trucks/ P.U. caps, which is another reason for our original pick of the Q.E. since we took our FWD truck due to poss. snow in the forecast. Valet Parking is the only game here at Q.E., or anywhere near-by, but the parking staff was good to deal with, so just smile and drop a 5/10 on the guy, knowing that you'd pay just as much in any Montreal above-ground lot while your wheels were getting all covered in ice and snow...

Anyway, we're going back for the Jazz Fest in July and the Q.E. is now on the strong possibility list after this first stay. (Usually stay at Gouveneur Place du Puis).

-Doc LeDuc