“4oth Wedding Anniversary”

Ranked #43 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Stoney Creek Ontario
“4oth Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

What a gorgeous hotel! We have stayed here so many times we can no longer count and each time it is exquisite. I have to say that reading some negative comments about the cleanliness during the strike (labour disruption while we were there) I never found a problem. Our room was made up every day with clean towels and things put away. We actually asked them not to clean up as we knew how hard they were working. Upon our arrival we had a plate of little petit fours waiting in our room. How nice was that even during labour disruptions? Also the staff in the Montrealis restaurant each morning couldn't have been kinder. In fact, I saw someone drinking cafe au lait and asked if I could buy 4 bowls from them and they allowed me to. Also on our last day at the hotel we spoke with the cleaning staff in our room and 20 minutes later arrived a tray with Baileys, 2 glasses, 2 bottles of water and again a carousel of tiny baked goods wishing us happy 40th anniversary. We have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about this hotel and hope to be back soon

• Liked — The bedding
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank StCreek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

This is my family's favorite hotel of all time. It's a beautiful hotel in downtown Montreal, in the heart of (in my opinion) the best city in Canada. This hotel is connected to the train station (across the way) through an underground tunnel. It's also connected to the underground city and Metro the same way. If the weather is bad in Montreal, which it can be in the winter, you can walk underground to Catherine St or catch the metro without stepping outside.
The rooms in this hotel are amazing..what can I say? It doesn't get better than a marble lobby and bathrooms. We are always given a corner room and they are spacious and everything is very high end, from the bedding to the robes to the linens.
There is a wonderful pool and gym in the lower level. The pool is smallish but beautiful, and the gym is top notch and I've never seen it too busy. My very only complaint at this hotel was that my older daughter (20) was treated poorly when she took her younger brother to the pool and my husband and I went to the gym-on two different occasions-and by two different staff. She's a younger looking 20 yr old and they were rude..I was surprised at the customer service training and if it happens again I will mention it to staff.
Aside from that, it's a great hotel in the heart of downtown. I've stayed many times-with and without kids and family and have never been disappointed.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — some poorly trained staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank maryeh
Massapequa Park, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

Excellent location right above train station. VERY convenient if taking AMTRAK back to New York City. Hotel workers were on strike, so there was no bellman to help with luggage and towels were located in the hallway by the elevator. Minor inconvenience. Excellent room with large beds, plenty of pillows and great big bathroom. Carpet was so "gushy" that I really enjoyed going barefoot !! Tons of room to walk around. Considering there was limited maid service, the room was spotless !! I have visions of a front desk guy in a suit cleaning the toilet and making the bed. Sick funny humor !! Great location above train station makes for easy access to food court in main terminal or walking through the underground passageway into the shopping mall's food court = handy for spending those last few "loonies" and getting more souveniers !! GREAT hotel, GREAT location, exceptional room and amenities !!

• Liked — great convenient location above train station
  • Disliked — hotel workers strike = no fancy restaurants/no room service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank catmomrusty
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

I understand when you have labor issues that quality of service might decrease but the only person i was impressed with during my stay was the concierge. The front desk people were abrupt and due to the strike my room was not cleaned during my stay. It also was evident the cleaning stay did not clean the room based on basic standards because there was a candy wrapper under the bed and a bloody napkin under the end table... the view of Mont Royal was amazing but i do not think i would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TimJ_18
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

Stayed at the Fairmonth Queen Elizabeth for 2 nights in September, 2008. I felt bad crossing the picket lines to gain access to the lobby, but after flying through the night to Montreal, I just needed a room.

The front desk staff were up front about the strike and gave us an opportunity to book somewhere else. We chose to stay and they gave us early check in. They were friendly and courteous, just as you come to expect from a Fairmonth property. Our room upon check in was clean and the beds were SUPER comfy.

The best thing of this property is LOCATION! We walked everywhere - the shopping, Old Montreal, St. Catherine's, Crescent Street, Bell Centre... it was great!
There were a couple of times I really wished they had room service, but due to the strike all the restaurants and house keeping were shut down.

We didn't let the strike hinder our great time in Montreal - I still think the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is a great hotel!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank darksparkles76
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

Have stayed at many places in Montreal over the years, and the Queen Elizabeth still rates at the top, for value, convenience, size of rooms, cleanliness, and a young, top quality helpful staff. The rooms are spacious, without the signs of wear and tear in other prime locations. The various Concierge attendants were right on in their analysis of local restaurants, and were gracious, helpful and patient almost to a fault. The hotel warned me in advance about an ongoing strike, but other than picking up our own clean towels and making our own beds, a five minute chore, the staff on duty were incredibly helpful, accommodating and polite, and surprisingly quick to respond. The rooms were in perfect order when we arrived, and check in took no more than about three minutes. When I recently had a problem with internet service in a Boston hotel (at $1200 a night) it took hours for a staff member to appear and correct the problem, and internet service still cost an extra $12 a day there. But at half those room prices, Internet service at Fairmont's gorgeous hotels is free if you sign up for their President's Club (at no charge), and when I had a problem with a broken cable, they (despite the strike) appeared in less than five minutes with a new cable. Other hotels may have more attitude, but nothing beats the Queen in Montreal. Thank you again, Fairmont!

• Liked — First rate beautiful interiors, convenience, and value
  • Disliked — the strike
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JNWEsq
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

A conference took me to Montreal on business mid-September.
We knew that they were in the middle of a strike but decided to stay there because we were so excited to be staying at a Fairmont property. We managed just fine during the strike (even with no real housekeeping for six days). Towels and washcloths were stacked on tables on each floor. They did come in to make the bed a couple of days. No sheets were changed. Regardless of the strike, I would have been disappointed in this property. It is very dated and the rooms are in need of a major renovation. Dark, drab and very, very small rooms for such a high room price. It did not compare to the Fairmont properties that I have stayed at in the U.S. The location is indeed good. The staff was doing everything they could to make up for the strike. Next visit I would definitely stay somewhere else as I heard many comments from others at this conference that they were thrilled with their hotels....and there are many great choices in Montreal.

• Liked — Location and access to food below in the train station
  • Disliked — Small, dark, old rooms that need renovation
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business