“Convenient location - terrible service.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
Ranked #45 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“Convenient location - terrible service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Montreal, attached to the train station. That is the only benefit of this hotel. Firstly, the check in lines ups were long. Our room was only partly ready - we had a junior suite and only the parlor was ready for early check in. They had stated they would call as soon as the bedroom was ready.
When we got to the 'parlor' portion of the room, we noticed the fridge had obviously been recently removed as there was about a centimeter of dust and dirt in the bottom of the cabinet where to fridge was. Also, I have a small child, and a hotel without a small fridge is difficult for milk and bottles. There was a pull out sofa in the parlor as well, where my mother was going to sleep.
On our way out, again there was a large crowd at the check in counter, but I did manage to grab someones attention at the concierge desk. I mentioned the dirt in the bottom of the cabinet and asked if sheets could be put on the pull out sofa. The reply was "I'll send someone up from housekeeping, but there are already sheets on the sofa bed". Ok I said.
Upon return to the room a few hours later the bottom of the cabinet was wiped out, with lots of dirt remaining. I pulled out the sofa bed, and there were no sheets. The mattress was bare and looked dirty, in addition to being very thin and feeling each spring. I called the front desk again and asked for sheets and pillows for the pull our sofa.
We then left for supper. When we returned the sheets were thrown on the bed, still folded. There were no pillows. At this point I called downstairs, and asked to speak to management. After a 20 minute hold, I eventually spoke to a manger and he sent up a woman from housekeeping, and told me he would call back in 20 minutes to ensure I was satisified. I also asked him when our bedroom would be ready (this was now 6:30) and he said it was ready, though no one called us. Housekeeping came up, and told me very curtly there were pillows in the closet, which I had told the manager that there weren't She had to leave and go get pillows, and then returned and put the sheets on the pull out. She did not leave any blankets. I ended up finding her in the hallway and finally getting a blanket. The manager never called me first nor last to "ensure I was satisfied".
In our bedroom the bed was perfect. Very comfortable. The bathroom was dated, and has rust and lots of paint chips in the tub. There was a small fridge. I removed 3 bottles of Perrier from the fridge and laid them on top of the fridge, to make room for my sons bottle. The next morning i had been charged for them. I called the front desk and they said they would remove the charges ASAP, as this was automatic. Though when I check out at 12:00, the charges were still there and they has to issue a refund at that time. They asked how my stay was and I replied "The service was terrible". She said "Sorry about that" and sent me on my way.
As our train wasn't until 5 pm we asked if they would store our 3 bags until then. No problem - for a $2 per bag fee.
Overall, the service was terrible. After asking the hotel staff 3 times I finally got sheets and pillows. The $2 per bag storage rule really put me over the edge. I paid $409 for my room...really? I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Lisa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kesh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice speedy check in - and a great location, to access Peel and Sherbrooke as well as reasonably close to the Old Town area. However, the location was just great but the hotel is faded around the edges.....bathroom small and a bit old. The bedroom was fine but just fine, and it was extremely noisy, although not right beside lifts, it was still noisy.

Wi fi was hit and miss as well
I only booked room , as the hotel was expensive and much more fun to get breakfast elsewhere

But for a quick trip and convenient location for the work I was doing, it was grand

Room Tip: away from lifts
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear MandyNIreland - We're glad you enjoyed your overall visit to Montreal. We appreciate your comments and we will look into the issues you encountered with the wireless internet access. We hope to see you again in the future. Kindest regards.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I love Fairmont brand and being in between of average and very good, I am giving the hotel a higher mark simply because of its legacy.

Hotel's pool is a joke. It looks big on the picture, but it's very small and shallow for an adult to swim. More for kids. The room did not have robes, slippers, magazines about city attractions. You have to beg for everything. Concierge service is very limited, though Steffany was amazing and very helpful, but you would have to wait for them to have time for you.

Bath tubs in the rooms are borderline acceptable: chipping and greyish of time.

I realize hotel has to make money and cutting corners, but it really shows and it's sad that once a famous brand is getting worse.

1 Thank EscarpmOntario
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Speed check in very convenient no waiting. Location very accessible to shopping ,restaurant everything else. It is place that travelers are looking for. Montrealais Bistro and Bar very classy,elegant to spend,celebrate an occasion like we did . Definitely we will come back again!

Room Tip: Room with a view and away fr service phone
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Thelma M - We're so glad you enjoyed your trip to Montreal as well as the birthday celebration! Thank you for sharing these great comments. Warmest regards.
Sherbrooke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth this Saturday night. Every thing was excellent. The check in process was smooth, we checked in earlier than the standard 4PM but they managed to give us a room. The room is of decent size. The bed is super confortable. The bathroom is on the small size but very convienient. And you can't beat the location, close to everything Montréal has to offer.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear jojo2005 - We're happy to hear how enjoyable your visit to Montreal was. We're glad the location of the hotel and our comfortable beds made your stay a pleasant one. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards.
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

It was built in the 50's and doesn't look like much "trim work" has gone into it since.
Staff was good.
Rooms were clean.
Bathroom and tub/shower combo small and old. You have to squeeze to the side to close the door in order to use the toilet.
The rooms are old, the hotel has the stuffiness of an old businessman's/person's hotel.
I'm sure the restaurant is good, but i didn't go cuz the ambiance and prices were not to my liking.
I like the fact that you can go to the downtown shopping area or train station through the underground, but that's not enough for me.

thanks, but no thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Absolutely no complaints about the recent stay shared by myself and my girlfriend this past weekend. Beautiful hotel with very attentive staff and great amenities. Sleep quality was good, location is great, and everything was up to my expectations. Would have been nice if the TV was in HD; I noticed that for some reason it was all in SD but whatever.

If driving I recommend you park at the Place Ville Marie across Rene Levesque Boulevard as it is faaaaar cheaper than the hotels' valet parking. Parked from about 11:30 PM on a Friday until noon on a Sunday for $21 as opposed to the like, $30 a night the hotel wanted.

2 Thank Riptor3000