“My Stay At The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Exceeded 5 Star”

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
Ranked #42 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Long Beach, California
“My Stay At The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Exceeded 5 Star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

On a recent pleasure trip to Montreal, I booked a room on the 19th floor, "Gold Floor"
overlooking the city with 180 degrees views.
My room was spacious and very nicely finished. The staff on the gold floor were very gracious and
saw to every request.
My last evening there, I wanted a special lemon pastery and ask where at 7:00 PM I could find
one. The very nice woman attending to the concierge post directed me to a pastry shop near by.
She then asked, If you are not in a hurry she could call the kitchen to see what they could do for
me. When I returned from a short walk, there were 2 small lemon pastries waiting for me.
I will be back next year for another stay at this great hotel.

Room Tip: Book the "Gold Floor"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tim B
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Tim B - How wonderful to hear your recent comments regarding your stay on Fairmont Gold at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth! We're delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit earlier this month. Please know that your feedback has already been shared with the Fairmont Gold team as this type of recognition is very important to them. We all look forward to welcoming you back next year! Kindest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. Hotel was nice but small and the restaurant was ok. There was not many nearby restaurants and if there was, it was just too cold to walk there.The underground mall is nearby making it convenient.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear TheSurvivorFan - We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay despite the cold weather. Being connected to the underground city is indeed very convenient. The underground pathways make it very easy to access different restaurants and stores even in the winter. Should you return to Montreal, please do not hesitate to contact our concierge, who will be delighted to assist you with dining recommendations. Thank you very much for your feedback. Warm regards.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Although the rooms at this hotel are fairly small by North American standards, my recent visit was a good one and I have no real complaints. The location is one of the best features of this hotel, close to metro stations, the underground city, and all kinds of shopping. Of all my stays here, the service during this visit was the best I've ever experienced. Checking in and out was fast and efficient, and any special requests I made were done quickly and without follow-up. I stayed in a junior suite (509), which had a comfortable living room, a separate bedroom (sliding doors), 1.5 bathrooms and two big flat screen TVs. I was on a smoking floor, on which the hallways often smelled like people actually smoked in them. My room, however, had no smell of smoke whatsoever. The service at breakfast was up and down, but the buffet itself was very nice (be sure to ask to get a freshly made omlette or fried eggs rather than eating what is already prepared).

Room Tip: Join the President's Club and get free Intenet in the room (wifi or hard wired) and access to th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear David W - Thank you for your recent review. We truly appreciate your loyalty to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth as a Fairmont President's Club member. We're glad to hear you've always enjoyed the service provided especially at the reception desk. Thank you also for your comments regarding the buffet breakfast. Please rest assured your feedback has already been shared with our restaurant and culinary team. We most definitely look forward to your next visit. Warm regards.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right above the central train station no need to even walk outside. Every 15 minutes there is a shuttle ($9) to airport. Check in was easy, though a bit of a wait. Room was ready earlier than 4pm check in which was a bonus. Underground mall, taxis out front. Room service friendly. All amenities in room. Only free Wifi for "club" members, they should have that changed. Bell man was able to keep our bags for a $2 fee per bag after check out until we were ready. The hotel decor is old school not modern but beds are comfortable. We would return again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear itaewandong - Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're glad you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff members, the convenient location as well as our comfortable new beds. Indeed we invite all of our guests to sign up to our complimentary loyalty program, the Fairmont President's Club, and this, prior to their stay in order to enjoy complimentary internet access. That said, we truly hope to welcome you again soon. Kind regards.
Toronto,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Summary: Excellent mid-upper scale hotel – fast internet, delicately furnished rooms, and outstanding friendly service! High recommendation and far better than the Hilton Bonoventure (the other alternative).

I am a business traveller and recently chose to stay at the Fairmont this time after staying at the Hilton Bonoventure in 12 separate times last year – now stayed in Fairmont for 7 nights on the 9th floor in Room 903. I wish I could’ve stayed at this hotel earlier instead of the Hilton.
I will be writing my review as a Fairmont vs. Hilton, given that they are close proximity to each other, and hope this will be a meaningful comparison for readers.

- Very fast internet. Internet speed at the Fairmont was 100x better than the Hilton. I was so impressed with it, I even did a download/upload test, which resulted to 55mbps download and 36 mbps upload. On the other hand, the Hilton had sporadic internet access in their hotel (they recognize the problem and blame the building structure) and my tablet could not connect at times in the Hilton. As a traveller, good quality internet is a must and the Fairmont delivered well here. For techies, this is a great choice.

- Warm furnishings and room feel:- The rooms are bright, warm, modern and comfortable – with an eloquent feel to it – marble furnishings, hard wood furniture, fresh wallpapers, new lamps, etc. Some people fear that the Fairmont is “old” but for me it is more “eloquence”. My room was recently renovated and has a brighter and warmer feel than the Hilton. The only part that was old was the bathtub and did not appear to be replaced as part of the renovation- and yes it did have chips and small cracks in it – I would not take a full bath in the Fairmont. The shower water pressure is excellent, however, and the toilets/other amenities in the bathroom is excellent. Also, they give you bathrobes in the rooms, but no slippers.

- Excellent lighting:- There is definitely more natural and indoor light in the Fairmont rooms as compared to the Hilton. For someone who likes light, the Fairmont is a better choice.

- Excellent radio clock:- the radio clock is a Sony and has a built in dock for iPhones – which is great if you have an iPhone.

- Not so convenient electric plugs:- There are quite many, however, the bedside lamps themselves do not have plug outlets built within the lamp (unlike the Hilton) – making it hard to plug a phone in by the bed. However, under the bed there is a large powerbar and you can easily plug multiple devices in at a time – once you reach for it.

- Television: The Fairmont has a large screen LG LCD TV and appears to have more channels and slightly larger than the Hilton. However, unlike the Marriott in Orlando, it does not have any cables to plug your computer to it to watch movies, etc and when I dialed room service they didn't have any. Most hotels don’t have it but it would be nice.

- Excellent Service: The service at the Fairmont is way better than the Hilton – prompt ,friendly, and they even gave me a gift on my second night. I had my shoes shined complimentary and the valet laundry was done very well (the laundry comes back in proper Fairmont branded bags instead of plastic sheets). Also, when I requested a thinner pillow, a larger empty fridge (the is already a bar fridge) and a microwave, the response was fast, friendly and professional. Service is top class.

- Slightly expensive room service: The food in room service is slightly more expensive given the $3 charge (the Hilton room service is cheaper).

- Good toiletries: The toiletries in the Fairmont (Le Labo Rose 31 soaps and shampoo) are great and better than those offered at the Hilton. It has an excellent scent and definitely more luxurious. However, unlike the Hilton, no mouth wash is provided.

- Restaurant:- Montrealais – better selection than the restaurant in the Hilton. The cheesecake is one of the best I’ve had in a while. Also they have an all you can eat salad bar for about $16 which is perfect for business travellers like me.

- Overall higher class: Overall there is more class at the Fairmont – even though the rates between Hilton and Fairmont are similar. It’s the little things that the Fairmont does that make them more eloquent, such as 1) classical music is on in your room when you first arrive; 2) hanging your newspapers on your door in an environmental friendly re-usable instead of putting it on the floor as done in the Hilton; better glasses/cups for in-room tea/coffee (Hilton gives paper cups while Fairmont has proper mugs) ; better in-room coffee machine, etc.

Overall – I highly recommend the Fairmont and will come back and stay here anytime (and definitely better choice than the Hilton).

Room Tip: The higher floor, the more light and better view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear coolioblob - How wonderful to read your review. The entire team is delighted to have you staying with us. Thank you for the great detailed feedback and we greatly appreciate your suggestions as well. If you need anything during your visit, please do not hesitate to contact anyone from the team. Enjoy your stay! Many thanks and best regards.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've had the pleasure of staying at the QE many times over the years, and it has been a consistently excellent establishment throughout. It's downtown location is hard to beat, being within walking distance of the Bell Centre, Place Ville Marie and right above Central Station. For train travelers, this hotel is a must!

My latest trip was not without some issues. The room, 1130, is close to the service stairs which echo quite audibly when used. Our rather noisy upstairs neighbours did not endear themselves, but at least kept their banter to reasonable hours.

Excellent staff and clean, comfortable rooms. Well done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CDN2012 - It's been a pleasure to welcome you over the past few years and we thank you for your loyalty. We're glad to hear your great comments about the service provided and the location of the hotel. However we're sorry this recent stay wasn't the most comfortable due to the noise. We most definitely hope to welcome you back soon and offer you the Fairmont experience you have come to expect. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can make your next visit more enjoyable. Warmest regards.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We checked in here for one night ( we were going to stay for a week but changed our mind), we had reserved a junior suite for the extra space, however both rooms were very small and slightly worn out, the bathroom needed updating. The carpet on the hallway which lead to our room was dirty and the walls doors had scuff marks, definitely needed an update. The downstairs lobby area was nice enough and we enjoyed this and the use of the gym. Very convenient for the shops as it leads you into a nice area of shopping and food court. We did however feel overcharged for the level of room and there was no view at all from our suite, apparently the suites do not offer any views at all which was very disappointing. Stayed one night, over priced, no view. When we arrived in on our first night we had dinner in the restaurant and the food was not too good, dirty knife as well.. not that impressed.

Room Tip: suite no views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie2381
Dear Katie2381 - Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent stay with us in December. We truly apologize for not providing you with the hotel experience you expected. Your comments about the guest room have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper for immediate action. The same goes for your dining experience, please rest assured your feedback has been communicated with the restaurant Manager. We take your comments very seriously and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. With regards to the suites, we have different categories with different views and we're sorry for not being able to accommodate your request. That said, we're glad you enjoyed the great location of the hotel. We most certainly hope you will give us another chance in the future and we hope to welcome you back at one of our Fairmont properties. Thanks and regards.