“I have three words for the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth - Luxury, Convenience, Courtesy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth
Ranked #45 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I chose to spend thanksgiving 2012 with my wife at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth in Montreal because of its location and the positive experiences at other Fairmont properties (both in the US and Internationally). It has been just a day since we checked in, and I have no regrets whatsoever. The highlights so far are,

1. Excellent service, from the doorman to the cleaning staff
2. Multi-lingual staff make me feel at home despite my not knowing French
3. Fairmont Fit
4. Plush bed - this is the first time I have not had to call for foam pillows, and I travel every week
5. On point recommendations from the concierge

I will update my review after I have sampled the restaurants. I usually don't eat at hotel restaurants because of a dearth of vegetarian options, but the restaurants at the Fairmont have a number of tantalizing vegetarian options (not the stock mushroom risotto)!

If there is one thing that didn't meet my expectations, it has to be the lack of a nespresso machine in my room or morning coffee in the lobby. I have never been a fan of the coffee brewed by Keurig machines. Call me spoiled, but every fairmont I have stayed at has had nespresso machines in the guest rooms.

Would I stay at the property again - based on my experience thus far, without a moment's hesitation. Before you do, sign up for the Fairmont President's Club - it unlocks free wifi at all Fairmont properties.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear jhatax - How delightful it was to read your recent review. Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your hotel experience at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Fairmont. And the entire team looks forward to your next visit. Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

After staying in 2 other Fairmont hotels on our short trip, we were a little disappointed by the small rooms and unspectacular decor of this hotel. While most of the staff was very friendly, one of the concierges was not very helpful and rather difficult to deal with.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Maedsche_us_Koelle - Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback further to your visit to Montreal. We're very sorry to hear your experience was not up to your expectations on this occasion. With regards to the room and decor, we have different projects, which we hope will address in the near future the issues expressed. We take your comments very seriously and despite the fact that your interactions with our colleagues were most enjoyable, we would like to better understand the feedback you shared about the concierge desk. If you have a moment, we would greatly appreciate if you could contact us directly at qeh.hotel@fairmont.com. Thank you again for your time. Best regards.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the Fairmont during my last visit in 2010. The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from the airport (no traffic) right in the heart of the city, beside the main train station.

If you are travelling by train, you can access right from the train station through the underground pass. Attached the hotel is the maze of underground shopping (path) from Place Ville Marie all the way to the Eaton Centre.

The main entry way was just as grand and elegant as I remember. Huge chandeliers, rich dark furniture and polished marble floors. Check in was quick and the staff were very pleasant and friendly. The gentleman who checked me in confirmed the room type and switched without hesitation it when we discovered the room type was booked in error by my company travel agent.

The room itself was nice; updated with a mix of new and classic. My TV was huge, about 46"! The bathroom was clean enough although the bathtub seemed to be a bit worn. When you showered the water seemed to take some time to drain properly, which tells me the drains need to be cleaned out. The heater worked well, except at times it would make a buzzing noise.

I ordered room service and the food was good, but served luke warm, not hot.

The restaurant Montrealus was also quite nice, but pricey. Breakfast, buffet or not will run you about $25-30 per person. Food was good, but not outstanding. You're better off walking up to St-Catherine Street and have a variety of food to choose from.

St.Catherine Street is less than 10 minutes walk from the hotel. You will find tons of great restaurants and shops along the mains street as well as tucked into the side streets.

The overall hotel experience was average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear sailorann - Thank you for your recent visit. We're sorry to hear your stay wasn't memorable and we sincerely appreciate your feedback. Please rest assured your comments will be shared with the appropriate individuals and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. We most definitely hope to have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back and show you a true Fairmont hotel experience in Montreal. Kind regards.
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a one night stay here and all was great. Room clean and it was a reasonable size. The bathroom was small, but we expected that in an old hotel. We had an excellent room rate due to special that was running. Easy walk to the Bell Centre. And an excellent Sunday brunch at the hotel.

We also took advantage of the Gibson spa with 30% off on Sundays. We were happy with the spa and all who worked there.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear MomX3Vermont - Thank you for your recent visit. We truly appreciate your feedback. We're delighted to hear the overall hotel experience was comfortable and enjoyable from the Sunday brunch to the spa. We hope to welcome you and your friends back in the near future. Kindest regards.
Granada Hills, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Most Fairmont hotels I have stayed in have been outstanding. The Queen Elizabeth is fine, but lacks character and good management. We arrived in Montreal from a cruise and arrived to a chaotic scene in the lobby. We were 8 people, two to a room, and each check in took 20 minutes to half an hour. In my view, since our rooms had been pre booked, and secured with a credit card, each check in should have been a matter of a few minutes. Altogether it took two hours for all of us to receive our room keys. Ridiculous. The room itself was large, clean and comfortable, but had no charm whatsoever. In a hotel like the Queen Elizabeth, the room should delight you. This did not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Oban100 - Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your stay in October. We apologize for not offering you a seamless arrival experience. Our team works very hard at accommodating early check-in requests even though our guaranteed check-in time is 4pm. That being said we're sorry there was a waiting time for our team to have the rooms ready for your stay. We encourage you to contact us directly at qeh.hotel@fairmont.com and we will gladly look further into the matter to try to avoid these types of situations from happening again in the future. Thanks and regards.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I had looked forward to staying at the Queen Elizabeth and while I know it is an older property I was hoping for something a bit more. We used our suite upgrade which gave us two spacious rooms. Frankly the roooms looked old and tired and really in need of an overhaul. The heating/cooling system was noisy and one of the TVs did not work wiht the remote.

This was my impression of the lobby area as well. It needs to be redone. The staff are polite but almost indifferent. There is something lacking here that problably requires a new management team to fix.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear scapaflow40 - We're deeply sorry to hear you stay didn't live up to your expectations. We have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer for immediate attention. Please rest assured we take your comments very seriously and please know we have several projects to upgrade our guest rooms. We would have loved to offer you the hotel experience you expected and we hope to have an opportunity some day to redeem ourselves and show you a true Fairmont experience in Montreal. Kind regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for over a week for work and I enjoyed every minute of my stay. After the first night, I asked if I could get a room with the better view as I am staying for more than a week. They ended up upgrading me to a corner room and the view was absolutely amazing. The room was always clean and I get my daily news paper on time. The staff was very helpful to answer any questions in regards to directions and recommendations of good restaurants in the city. The location was also perfect! close to the station and close to everything in the city. I highly recommend this place!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FairmontQueenE, Manager at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear xtiiineee - On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for choosing Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. We're delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your week with us. We most definitely look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Many thanks and regards.