“Wow! What a hotel!”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #41 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 30, 2006

It is as they always say: "You get what you pay for". This hotel was expensive, but what a hotel. I normally don't sleep well if I am not in my own bed, but I certainly slept well in the bed at this hotel. The mattresses were really good which you don't often get. The rooms were spotless (I am a very fussy customer when it comes to cleanliness). The staff at the front desk were most helpful. Our car which was parked at valet parking was delivered promptly. We were on a high floor and the view was great. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Linda129
Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We really enjoyed our stay at the MArriott Chateau Champlaign. This hotel is very nice and centrally located. The rooms were very accomodating and WOW, what a view! The hotel staff was very friendly in all the areas, from the front desk to the restaurants to the doorman. I do not understand why others have rated this hotel as poor. It is a very classy, comfortable and centrally located hotel. THUMBS UP from our family.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I used my Marriott points to stay at the hotel. I was disappointed that as a Silver Member I was not on the concierge level and did not have access to the concierge breakfast. I don't know if it is just this hotel or all Marriott's, but I use to have this access. The hotel is in a central location within a decent walk of most attractions. It is also above a metro station and close to the train station.

The restaurant food was good but a bit pricey. We arrived late and ate dinner at 9:00 PM when it was practically empty, but the service from our waitress was really slow. She seemed to disappear for 20 minutes at a time.

Having a King size bed is nice, but the comfort is just average. There are stairs to enter the hotel so I am not sure how a handicap person would enter. We had a tough time taking our daughter out of the stroller each time we wanted to exit or enter the hotel.

If I did not use my points, I would definitely have stayed at a smaller boutique hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank dennisrg
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We spent two days at the Chateau Champlain and were very impressed with the accommodations: The room was large, bright and airy, the bed exceptionally comfortable, and the location could not be better: within easy walking distance to the business district, the historic old district, the university and shopping district, as well as direct access to the Underground city. Highly recommended.

14  Thank dwhitten
Reviewed June 9, 2006

I stayed in this hotel for a week in May 2006. The rooms were clean and the bed great but a little tired and in need of some paint work. Maintenance was poor as the air con died twice during my trip as did the toilet flush. No seal around the door which lit up the room at night and meant that I felt a part of what ever was going on in the corridor. Staff were friendly and helpful however and things were fixed. Food was of a good standard and room service excellent.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank LondonGB
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Very nice location with very good views on the side of the building was on (facing Place du Canada). Was able to see some beautiful and not-so-beautiful buildings. The Metro stop underneath the hotel was incredibly, incredibly, incredibly convenient. The Montreal Underground is ultimately very silly and the hotel staff did us a service by not emphasizing it to us.

The room was better than the dated Marriott room I have gotten used to. The new Marriott beds and linens were extraordinary. The batroom was a 8 one a scale of 1-10. The showerhead was above my head. The curtain was flimsy though. I really liked the closet/dressing area outside the bath that could be closed off from the rest of the room. The rooms furnishings (desk table, side tables, armoir) were more than adequate. The free wireless, in room internet was a big bonus (other Marriotts take note). The oddly shaped window was huge and gave a spectacular view. I slept with the curtains open a couple of nights to see the lights form the tall buildings and Ste. Catherine.

It is a huge hotel with very little in the way of in-hotel dining and entertainment options. Which is good when a hotel is is downtown and on the train line. There was plenty nearby. But sometimes it would have been nice to have a restaurant or bar choice. Considering the hotel has over 30 floors, you would think there would be more than just one small lobby bar. The staff in the bar was great though. Just not much bourbon in Canada. The front desk was great as well. The operator was slow getting to calls though.

I really would have enjoyed the hotel more if the Habs were still playing (their season ended a week earlier than my arrival). The arena shares the same Metro stop and the older and more beautiful of the two train stations were between the two buildings.

For Americans who are afraid of a language barrier, everyone I met at the hotel spoke English and was friendlly when switching to English from the native tongue. The staff when answering the phone eventually defaulted to English.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank Moost
Reviewed May 17, 2006

For our second trip to Montreal in December 2005, we decided to stay at Marriott Chateau Champlain after reading some mixed reviews. The rate was $250 CAD for 2 nights. I have to say I really liked this hotel. The location was great and we had a fantastic view of the city and mountain (you have to request a higher floor and city view). The staff was really friendly. Our package included buffet breakfast, which was good, and a gift on arrival. The room was clean and it was true that the bathroom was dated but NOT as bad as what some critics made it out to be. Our only problem occurred as we arrived back one night, as there was a strong scent of smoke. We called the concierge and they immediately offered another room and upgraded it. I'm glad we chose to stay at this hotel...its view is worth the money alone!

6  Thank AymanToronto_Ontario