“A good experience, but not a great one”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Chicagoland
“A good experience, but not a great one”
Reviewed May 7, 2006

The hotel could use a bit of an update. The rooms are on the smallish side and the decor needs a refresher. The armoire held a TV, but no dresser to store your clothes. On the plus side, the views are nice and the beds are super comfortable (best sleep I've had at a hotel in a while). The fitness center is adequate (but pool seemed sort of nasty); the hotel staff was courteous; dry cleaning service was prompt and the subway stop at the bottom of the hotel was very convenient. Not a bad experience overall, but I expected a little more for the rate.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Karch72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2006

Stayed here for 7 nights in April.........room was great and the view is unreal. If you're planning a trip to Montreal, stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2006

The Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain is great! Great location, great staff and great view from the rooms! Everybody took care of us like we were the only customers! The new Marriott Beds are fantastic, with the numerous pilows! The hotel is connected by the underground to the Via Train Station and shopping - you don't even need to go outside!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maine
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I just returned home after staying at the Marriott for four nights. I do not recommend this hotel. While the rooms were ok, the service was terrible. I felt that we were treated in a rude, almost disdainful manner by the front desk staff (and manager) and that answering questions or being of service was not in their job description. There were a few pleasant exceptions (Peter, the bell captain, was very nice and helpful), but overall, there were too many mistakes made and an unwillingness to correct the mistakes or problem-solve to find an acceptable solution. The tone was, "like it or lump it". Oh yes, the plumber who came to fix our toilet was very nice, too--although he couldn't completely fix it, he tried very hard and apologized for the inconvenience.
The only good things about the hotel were the convenient location, the accessibility of the Metro from the hotel lobby, the abundance of pillows on the beds, the view of the city from our window, and the breakfast buffet. One server (I didn't get his name) is a waffle expert--he will make you a beautiful, delicious strawberry waffle as part of the buffet if you ask.
If you do decide to stay here, make sure you say that you require a guarantee of the type of room you want (don't just request it, tell them that you want a confirmed guarantee) and be specific. Then make them stick to it when you arrive. Be persistent, be firm, and don't back down until you get the type of room you requested. It is exhausting, it is a hassle, but necessary.
Also, make sure that if you require a non-smoking room, insist that the housekeeper not smoke in the room while s/he is making up the room. Also, make sure that if you lose something that if you contact lost and found and they say that they don't have it, don't take no for an answer. Contact housekeeping (apparently housekeeping doesn't always turn things into the lost and found) and if you still don't get help, find someone who is willing to go into the housekeeping office to look around for you--that is the only way we finally recovered our car keys. On second thought, if you stay here, just use the valet service for your car--it costs more, but then you'll have fewer hassles all the way around. Finally, if you are in a time crunch, call way ahead of the time you need a bellhop--we waited over 45 minutes for service.
There are other hotels in the same general area as the Marriott, and next time I plan on trying one of them. Will I return to the Marriott? No.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank acadiaMaine
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2006

This hotel is quite lovely, with extremely comfortable king size beds, lots of pillows, and great down duvets. Definitely a nice choice for a romantic getaway, business travellers, singles and couples alike. I managed to get a good rate of ~$145 and probably wouldn't spend more than that to stay at this ohtel in the future.

As a loyal Marriott rewards member, my upper floor request was granted, and check-in was polite and efficient. The room was beautiful and certainly very well appointed.

After searching around for a phone book, I called down to request one be brought to the room, along with some toothpaste. Shortly thereafter, an older gentleman brought toothpaste. I noticed he had no phone book, and he asked me if I was sure that I had not found a phonebook in the room. I said I had checked all cupboards and drawers, and he mentioned that was very odd. He then asked if he could enter the room to check for himself. I found this a bit odd, however allowed him to do so. Sure enough (and much to my dismay), one of the drawers contained a phone book...at the back. When I first opened the drawer to find one, I guess I didn't open it far enough. I felt a little silly and apologized, and the gentleman seemed pleased to have proven me wrong.

At any rate, a wonderfully restful sleep, fabulous breakfast brought promptly to my room in the morning at the requested time, and very friendly room service lady, asking if I had had a restful night's sleep.

Wonderful check-out agent, however I had anticipated paying with my debit (bank) card, and not my credit card. They don't take bank/cash/debit cards, unfortunately. I did find that quite odd.

The concierge was helpful in storing my luggage for the afternoon, despite the doormen who do not step outside to assist you upon arrival, nor open doors. I'm not sure why they stand there at all, then?

In conclusion, I loved the room, loved the breakfast service and check-in agents, however the bellmen who do not wish to assist and the gentleman who did not believe I had no phone book in my room did leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

But I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank OceanB333
Manchester, Vermont
Reviewed March 22, 2006

We live in Vermont, an easy three hour drive from downtown Montreal, so we have been frequent visitors for the past 15 years or more to various hotels in the downtown area. When the price is right, the Marriott can be a very good deal. We booked under the "Sweet Deal" promotion, which included free buffet breakfast for two. I agree with the reviewer who stated that the service at breakfast was somewhat formal. We found it not to be the waitstaff, but rather the overly formal "host" who seemed to pride himself on intimidating those who entered his domain. We were happy not to see him again on Sunday! Buffet was OK, but not the best.

Rooms: When I booked I was told that some rooms were more "deluxe" in furnishings, but all were the same size, not including suites. I believe our room was more deluxe as it did not look at all like the room posted by another tripadvisor member. It actually was quite lovely, with a crisp white duvet, a nice array of 6 pillows and a neckroll, beautiful drapes and new carpeting.(We were on the 18th floor overlooking the park). The bathroom itself was small, but the separate dressing area was nice and made the room seem larger. No robes. There was also the usual table with two armchairs, and a desk with high speed internet that worked fine.

The pool and hot tub were nicely heated although very crowded with families and children. No locker area for changing, which I found to be not acceptable for a hotel of this class. Also an attendant nearly ripped the towel off my 6 year old son's shoulders as were leaving the pool area to go back to our room. Without a changing room, how does one return to their room without being soaking wet? This I found to be innapropriate. Hotel-service-respect for guests??

Location: A good location, a new underground connection will allow you to walk underground all the way to Old Port. Great in cold weather. Not too far from Chinatown and St. Catherine. Bell Center right next door has indoor skating, fun to do or just watch.

Parking: Self park under hotel, very busy week days, Saturday & Sunday nearly empty. SUV's may not fit, but valet parking is available outside for bigger vehicles. $14.00 self park per day, a good price for downtown.

Overall we like this hotel. We do have two or three other properties we prefer for overall service and room size, but if the price is right the Marriott is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank rileycando
Wirral, England
Reviewed January 14, 2006

We visited 12/26 until 01/01 and what a fantastic stay we had. We were worried having read previous reports that the hotel might disappoint - but absolutely not! The rooms were very comfortable for 3 of us and the view was breathtaking over to Mont Royale. The staff (every one of them) could not have been more helpful and pleasant. The hotel is centrally located and you need never go outside to get anywhere if you so wish. The facilities are first class and the subway is accessed directly from the hotel.We have already recommended this hotel to family and friends, and when we next visit we know exactly where to stay - right here. Try it for yourself and you're in for a treat.

• Stayed December 2005