“Great Value and Location”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #41 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We went with 3 other couples and this was a fantastic, centrally located place to stay in Montreal. It is literally right next door to the Bell Centre where the Montreal Canadians play their home games.

It was very quiet and clean, great lobby area and a very attentive staff.

I disagree with some of the other reviews, i didn't feel the hotel was dated and the bed was extremely comfortable. Really nothing negative to say, other than the parking fee of $32 per night I thought was somewhat excessive, but I think you'll probably pay at least that or more any place you stay in the greater Montreal area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim41923
JungleKing2014, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Hello Jim41923
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review - your positive comments are very much appreciated.
Happy Travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We used this hotel as a pit stop between Toronto and Quebec City. Although we never stayed here before, I wouldn't have a problem doing so again. Yes, the hotel has an aged appeal to it. The older features have been retained in past renovations and upgrades. It definitely has a 70s feel to it highlighted by the unique architecture of the hotel itself. We liked: size of standard room is comparatively larger than the average room, comfortable bed, extra large panorama windows providing great pics, day and night . Room for improvement: front desk talking excessively negative about Toronto upon knowing we live there, bar and restaurant close too early, and the parking situation: pricing is bit much for overnight (cash cow). Oh, and there are signs in the parking garage for hotel guests to park on the S5 level. There is absolutely no reason why the gouged hotel guests have to park on this lowest level.... except to leave the convenient levels available to the public. This definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Please Marriott, stand up for your guests here: pricing and hotel guests at the bottom. Although I've said positive things about the hotel, the parking issue is enough to go somewhere else (really)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hugemountain
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hi "HugeMountain"
Thank you for posting your comments on our hotel. Very happy to read you enjoyed your room, the views from our great windows and the comfortable beds.
As a previous resident of Toronto myself, I am sorry that anyone would have spoken ill of that great city. That is not in keeping with the service we are capable of and I sincerely apologize to you for that indiscretion.
Your feedback on the parking service is noted. Though not owned or operated by the hotel, I will continue to work with our partners to improve the experience for our guests.
I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us in the future if your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

it was the worst hotel stay i have ever had. location of the hotel is also way too far from the central part of the town. I am 42, foreigner, journalist with an extensive travel record. we stayed at the Marriott Chateau Champlain on April 20, Easter, and April 21, my husband's Birthday. This hotel does not feel like Marriott at all. This is something different.
Mattresses we so shockingly firm, uneven and overall awful that we couldn't sleep, including kids - 12 and 7. the little one woke up in the middle of the night, asking to move to another hotel. at 6:30 on EASTER, i went out to find painkillers due to headache after the sleepless night. three pharmacies around the hotel were closed. two hours later i talked to Emma, the front desk supervisor and was offered a city view room, which - she repeated that at least three times - was 10% more than $117 we paid for the room. so much for the sleepless night and ruined Easter. all the mattresses in the hotel are THE SAME, beware! we declined the "upgrade" after checking those beds and the hotel staff put some blankets or whatever that was on the top of the mattresses and underneath the sheets, so that the springs wouldn't stick out that much. i paid online and was forced to pay again upon check in. when i wanted to cancel following first sleepless night at the hotel, i was concerned about the double charge. we stayed in the Le Westin a year ago and loved it; i booked Marriott this time because it was so cheap. it was cheap for the reason. Also, marrott's POOL CLOSES AT 10pm, it is NOT open 24 hours like the hotel's website suggests and how priceline advertises this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear ann o,
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. Though critical we do value your opinion. I do apologize that your stay with us fell far short of your expectations. The opportunity to connect with you personally is important to me and I will attempt to reach you directly for a more personal follow up.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have nothing bad to say about this property. I have nothing great to say about it, either. It's perfectly acceptable and I'd happily stay again, but there's nothing memorable about it.

The Marriott Chateau Champlain looks and feels old. That isn't inherently a bad thing, but it's clearly showing its age. It feels like a classic downtown hotel in a fantastic location.

Nonetheless, I left wanting more.

I know this review doesn't say much, but there isn't all that much to say. If you're a Marriott loyalist, this is a fine property. If you have options, you can do better. That's about it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jared D
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hello Jared D
Thank you for the post - though your comments fall right in the middle, they are still important to us and appreciated. Looking forward, I am confident our ongoing upgrades will leave a positive impression. A bientot.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is an average and old hotel in a good location in Montreal. Their rooms are small and not suitable for families. Dining in this hotel is overpriced as is their parking. Garage parking is not owned by the hotel so be careful with belongings and note that it has no in/out privileges, a fact which was not mentioned by reception and which ended up costing us $50 for one night. As a Gold Elite member I asked for an upgrade and even though I knew from their website that concierge rooms were for sale, I was told that no upgrades were available. Further, the concierge lounge was closed.

Room Tip: Ask for a Higher level floor to enjoy the views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Tirpat,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. Our location is indeed practical for many of our guests needs. I apologize that our agents failed to describe the parking options of valet (with in and out options), versus the self parking choice. As for an upgraded room as a member of our rewards program, though availability may vary day to day, if available when you arrived we should have assisted you. Our error to address. I hope you will reconsider us in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Fantastic location in downtown Montreal, within walking distance to Mc Gill University, St Catherine street for shopping, and old City of Montreal, Front desk personnel, especially Maurice, were helpful and very polite. Concierge attendants, Laurie, Ann Marie and Veronique could not have been nicer , more helpful, or made better dinner reservations for us. They were professional and ran the concierge club beautifully. Parking attendants were equally friendly and lovely.
Room was comfortable and linens were soft and cozy.
We would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hi MIAMISHEILA
Thank you for your very kind post - feedback such as yours is truly appreciated. A bientot!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great location right in the middle of downtown Montreal. Clean, upscale hotel. If you are going to an event at the Bell Centre, you can't stay much closer. Our advance purchase rate of $130/night beat most other chain hotels in the area.

People I interacted with were both pleasant and helpful. My room was clean with a nice view of downtown. The bed was very comfortable. We ate breakfast at the hotel on morning and the food was good.

Being downtown, parking is at a premium. There is a parking garage under the hotel that charges $23/day and they also have valet service.

I have no problems recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Hi KenS9 - Merci beaucoup for taking the time to share your positive impressions of our hotel and the staff you interacted with. Safe travels.