“Great location, decent hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #46 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great location, decent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have nothing bad to say about this property. I have nothing great to say about it, either. It's perfectly acceptable and I'd happily stay again, but there's nothing memorable about it.

The Marriott Chateau Champlain looks and feels old. That isn't inherently a bad thing, but it's clearly showing its age. It feels like a classic downtown hotel in a fantastic location.

Nonetheless, I left wanting more.

I know this review doesn't say much, but there isn't all that much to say. If you're a Marriott loyalist, this is a fine property. If you have options, you can do better. That's about it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jared D
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hello Jared D
Thank you for the post - though your comments fall right in the middle, they are still important to us and appreciated. Looking forward, I am confident our ongoing upgrades will leave a positive impression. A bientot.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is an average and old hotel in a good location in Montreal. Their rooms are small and not suitable for families. Dining in this hotel is overpriced as is their parking. Garage parking is not owned by the hotel so be careful with belongings and note that it has no in/out privileges, a fact which was not mentioned by reception and which ended up costing us $50 for one night. As a Gold Elite member I asked for an upgrade and even though I knew from their website that concierge rooms were for sale, I was told that no upgrades were available. Further, the concierge lounge was closed.

Room Tip: Ask for a Higher level floor to enjoy the views.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Tirpat,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. Our location is indeed practical for many of our guests needs. I apologize that our agents failed to describe the parking options of valet (with in and out options), versus the self parking choice. As for an upgraded room as a member of our rewards program, though availability may vary day to day, if available when you arrived we should have assisted you. Our error to address. I hope you will reconsider us in the future.
MIAMI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Fantastic location in downtown Montreal, within walking distance to Mc Gill University, St Catherine street for shopping, and old City of Montreal, Front desk personnel, especially Maurice, were helpful and very polite. Concierge attendants, Laurie, Ann Marie and Veronique could not have been nicer , more helpful, or made better dinner reservations for us. They were professional and ran the concierge club beautifully. Parking attendants were equally friendly and lovely.
Room was comfortable and linens were soft and cozy.
We would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hi MIAMISHEILA
Thank you for your very kind post - feedback such as yours is truly appreciated. A bientot!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great location right in the middle of downtown Montreal. Clean, upscale hotel. If you are going to an event at the Bell Centre, you can't stay much closer. Our advance purchase rate of $130/night beat most other chain hotels in the area.

People I interacted with were both pleasant and helpful. My room was clean with a nice view of downtown. The bed was very comfortable. We ate breakfast at the hotel on morning and the food was good.

Being downtown, parking is at a premium. There is a parking garage under the hotel that charges $23/day and they also have valet service.

I have no problems recommending this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hi KenS9 - Merci beaucoup for taking the time to share your positive impressions of our hotel and the staff you interacted with. Safe travels.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I booked six nights at this property and booked a basic room because I know this property has several concierge level floors with upgraded rooms. I checked in and asked for a room upgrade after I realized they were not upgrading me on their own accord(I am a Gold VIP). However, the clerk stated there were no concierge rooms available. I headed to my room while, my co-worker who booked a concierge level room a few days earlier at an additional $20 per night, headed to his room. I entered my room to be greeted with a basic room with two double beds. I decided to go back down to the front desk to at least get a room with a king size bed. The front desk provided me with a new set of keys for a standard room with a king size bed. Just to be sure, I asked again if I could get an upgrade to the concierge level and I was told again there were none available. I went up to my new room and got settled in. I decided to check online to see if there were any concierge rooms available. Sure enough there were at a cost of $249 per night. This price was a little over $100 more than I was paying per night. I called my co-worker who speaks French fluently and asked him to call the hotel from his cell phone and ask how much rooms were for the night and then ask if there would be any rooms available on the concierge room. As predicted, they stated yes at a price of $249 per night.

I kept my composure and headed with my luggage back down to the front desk. I asked why I wasn't upgraded to the concierge room that the website was showing. The clerk immediately realized that the call earlier must have been related to me and she told me the supervisor could answer that question. I explained the situation to the supervisor who said the web and internal systems don't always show correct information. She then told me there was a concierge level room beside the mechanical room but it is very noisy. I told her that was fine. She then proceeded to continue looking for additional rooms and "found" one on the 32nd floor that was supposedly blocked because of complaints of noise levels from construction across the street(Really, on the 32nd floor?). Anyway, she gave me my keys and I headed to my room. Finally, a room every Marriott rewards member has come to expect. It had a beautiful large window overlooking the south side of Montreal. I headed up to the concierge level to meet my colleague who complained of having to pay for the beer during the manager’s reception. I was a bit disappointed because in the United States Marriott properties usually have free beer and wine during the Manager’s reception but with such a large property it doesn't surprise me. The beverage costs would be prohibitive with so many concierge level guests.

The rest of the week was uneventful and my wife came for a visit on the Saturday morning. I decided to check with the front desk to see if a suite upgrade would be available. There was a suite available at an additional cost of $250. I declined and went on my way. When I was a Hilton Diamond member, I remember they would always upgrade to the best room in the hotel if the stay was of a short duration and the room isn’t booked at a later date.

Although the Marriott Montreal is a nice property close to many attractions, I won’t be back due to the deceptive nature of their management. I’m going to research other hotel membership programs now because I’m tired of these large Marriott properties not adhering to the membership policies.

Room Tip: Marriott VIP members - please challenage front desk if no conceirge room is availalbe. Look online...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 946PatDev
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear 946PatDev
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to post your comments and disappointments regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I extend to you my sincerest apologies that we did not ensure a much more seamless arrival and assignment of an upgraded room based on your valued membership in our rewards program. Ultimately, we could and should have been more responsive and proactive, including during your wife's visit with you.
If we have indeed lost your favour as a hotel, it is truly our loss. Should you reconsider our hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office directly to allow me to facilitate your reservation and to welcome you more appropriately.
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

The location was excellent for us, it's just right beside Bell Canada Centre! Room was nice and clean and had a very nice view, room size was decent. Valet was quick and staffs were very friendly. Best value for the buck!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello David L - thank you for your review - very happy to read you enjoyed your stay - hope to welcome you back soon.
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

The stay here was adequate as the location was good and the price was reasonable. The facility itself is clearly rather old and a bit faded. The room was pretty standard for a mid grade Marriott in the States. Bed was decent, bath was plain and boring. The service here was quite friendly. The best part of the hotel is the location as you are close to the downtown action as well as the Bell Centre.

Room Tip: Higher for a better view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jwobkk
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello jwobkk .... thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay. I am pleased to read service and location met your expectations. We will keep working away at our improvements to the property. Merci