“What one would expect of a Marriott”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #39 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Newark, New Jersey
“What one would expect of a Marriott”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Played tourist with 2 kids while hubby went to a conference. Stayed 4 nights. Good, but not superb. The reception staff were efficient and courteous but not warm or smiling. The room was sufficiently spacious with nice views from floor to ceiling semi-circular windows, and was clean but not immaculate. The concierge desk offered varying levels of helpful advice. We visited Old Montreal often & Parc Mont Royal via foot (both~ 20 minute walk). The fitness center had good treadmill & other cardio machines; has a small indoor pool & separate jacuzzi.

Surprisingly, Montreal had a lot of panhandlers, not just ones who sit by the side with a sign and a cup asking for loose change, but also clean, fit looking young adult to middle-aged men who directly approach and ask you for money. Because of this, I didn't take advantage of the hotel's location above a metro station - didn't want to be an easy target while trying to figure out the metro system.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Runster,

Thank you for your observations regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is important to us.

I am pleased to read that our concierge team was able to provide you with good suggestions and advices during your visit. I will share your comments with them.

We are indeed fortunate that our unique floor to ceiling windows offer a great view of the city.

I was sorry to read you felt uncomfortable due to the approach of some of our city’s homeless or panhandlers. I do hope this will not deter you from coming back again to Montreal, and our hotel, in the future.

In service,

Respectfully,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stay here every time I go to an event at The Bell Center i find the price a little high but you are paying for the location. I've stayed here several times in the last 6 years and have not had any issues

• Stayed November 2012
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Trevorleader,

I wish to thank you for your kind feedback ! Very much appreciated!

But most of all for your loyalty towards our hotel. I am thrilled to read that you have stayed several times in the last 6 years.

Hopefully you will continue to come and stay with us for many other years.

Looking forward to welcoming you back shortly!

Queens, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Marriott Chateau Champlain is located in the downtown area of Montreal. You can't miss it when you drive into the center of town as it is very tall with half moon windows. Beautiful views of the old city,Mont Royal and the St. Lawrence River. Easy walk to Rue St Catherine with shopping,restaurants and bustle of students from nearby McGill University. Convenient to get to the old city, old port, and Place des Arts where the world film festval is held. The metro is located below the hotel, as is parking accessible by an elevator in the hotel. Starbucks and nice brunch in hotel. Voila!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Bomsue,

Thank you for your great observations about our hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities and its location.

I am also pleased that you were satisfied with your brunch experience. I will let the "Chef" know.

I look forward to welcoming you again very shortly.

nyc
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was not my favorite Marriott.Yet the hotel really is in a wonderful location, two blocks from the Hilton and Canada Place, near the central train station, a short walk from Old Montreal, and a few blocks from the main shopping areas. We walked everywhere, never even rode the Metro. We stayed for one night after coming from the nearby Hilton which we preferred. I was not happy when they could not find our reservation which unnecessarily delayed our check-in and it was implied that perhaps we had'nt made one. I specifically asked at check- in about internet access and was told it was available in our room. However, not all floors have wired internet access and they never told us that. Later at night when I tried to access the Internet I could not. Guest services offered to change the room to a higher floor which I was not doing after 9 p.m. Nor was I about to get dressed after a shower and run downstairs to use computers in another area. I felt they could have comped us for that or offered additional services or compensation. As far as hotel atmosphere, the downstairs lobby had a traditional feel but also seemed dated. The room was an average size and did not "wow" me. Nothing horrible about it; just a matter of personal taste. Our room also was smaller than what we expected from internet photos. The bathroom was fine, luggage racks and clothing space adequate and the shower power was good--but there were no side railings in the tub which I noted at many other high end hotels in Canada. The maid walked in in a.m. without knocking but we were dressed and about to leave. The indoor pool was nothing special --the Hilton's pool area was much better--but we were not there to swim. The best thing about the room was the beautiful floor to ceiling picture window that offered marvelous views of the city and the domed church across the street. Also, the experienced valet staff was very friendily and helpful on arrival and spoke English--a plus for Montreal. Valet made us feel welcome. We paid extra to valet park because we were told we would have to park around the corner and traffic and road construction in downtown were ridiculous at the time. But on departure, younger less experienced staffers just loaded luggage and clothing in the back of our car, blocking the rear window view. I had to repack it myself in the rain across from the hotel entrance where they left the car. As for food. we had one breakfast here (not included in room price) which was filling and delicious. Our waiter was excellent although the host was not overly friendly or welcoming--merely blase. Despite the criticism, we would stay here again for the convenience and the right price. Felt we overpaid for the services and room overall but it was the height of summer tourist season for Montreal. I was most annoyed about lack of Internet.

Room Tip: Facing Canada Place or the front of the hotel offers a lovely view. Rooms had floor to ceiling views...
1 Thank jrknyc
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Jrknyc,

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and the Front Desk team for our inability to retrieve your reservation upon your arrival, as well as to give you more information regarding our internet in the guest rooms. For your information, of the 611 guest rooms we have 125 wired internet rooms and the remainder wireless, The interaction with our staff member at the Front Desk about this omission is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.

However I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, the view from your guest room as well as your experience with the valet. I will share your comments with them.

I am also pleased to read that you were satisfied with your breakfast experience but most of all that you will come and visit us again.

We look forward to your next visit and hopefully very soon.

Respectfully,
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband, a friend & I visited Montreal in June and had a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. The views were spectacular, the breakfast was very nice and the location was great! Such a short stay in a beautiful place, but the hotel made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Trbltimes2,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Montreal and our hotel. Thank you!!!!!

I am very glad that you were able to have a room with a city view, indeed the view is spectacular.

Most of all I am grateful that the hotel made you feel very welcome.

Why won't you come back again and stay a little longer next time!

I am looking forward to your visit!

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My sister and I traveled to Montreal the last week in August. We stayed there 2 nights and were very impressed with the location, cleanliness and service! This was one of the nicest Marriott
I have stayed at. We ended up eating in the dining room for our evening meals. The food was delicious and prices were very reasonable!
Our room was comfortable and we loved being in walking distance of the sights and shopping!

Room Tip: Our room faced a side street, and we had a view of the beautiful business district. Our room was on...
Dear Elizabeth5610903,

First of all, I wish to thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel.

It is such a pleasure to read that you were impressed about the location, the cleanliness and the service that you received here. I will share your feed-back with my staff, for sure.

I am glad that you enjoyed the walking distance of all the activities downtown as well.

We hope to have another opportunity to hosting you again very shortly.

Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Excellent Hotel within easy walk to major shopping streets. Metro Station goes to Old Town areas, Old Port and other attractions. Spotless, modern rooms right across from park. Staff extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing park have a great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dick C,

Thank you for your excellent comments!

I am glad that our staff was extremely helpful during your visit. I will certainly share your remarks with them.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall.

Looking forward to welcoming you here again very soon!