“Perfectly fine for a quick getaway”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Upper Jay, New York, United States
“Perfectly fine for a quick getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My sister and I planned a "girls' getaway" to Montreal and I used Marriott points to book a night at the Chateau Champlain. I stay almost exclusively in Marriotts because they are a dependable (and as another reviewer put it "predictable.") The Chateau Champlain traditionally decorated lobby is starting to look a bit shabby, but the room was fine, albeit nothing exciting. It is very much geared toward business travellers. There was a perfectly satisfying breakfast buffet included and a decent little shopping and dining area, plus transportation right there. All in all the location and amenities were just the ticket, expecially since we spent most of our time out and about the city. I believe a renovation is in the works as they sent a survey with multiple questions specific to the lobby area.

Room Tip: When travelling to a city, I always request a high floor with a view and some distance from the elev...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

A two night stay on the 31st floor left me breathless when I recently booked into the hotel for a conference. The weather was very cold and the snow was a bit much.

Joking with the reception staff, I asked if they could do anything about the weather. Of course they smiled and replied, "we will do the best we can".

To my surprise and delight I awoke the next morning to beautiful sunshine, clear skies and warmer temperatures.

The view looking south and west covers most of the residential skyline. Although the rooms are smallish, they are well appointed and comfortable. Located withing minutes of the main shopping areas (Ste. Catherine Street), the Bell Center and Old Montreal, the hotel is ideal for walkers.

In case walking is not your sport, right next door is an indoor skating rink; above the lobby there is an indoor pool and exercise center.

The staff are well informed about the city, so go ahead and ask. you might just get what you want.

Room Tip: Try to have a room facing he mountain, the view is fabulous
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having travelled fair amount, Marriott are among my favourite chain. Having a choice of both chain and boutique hotels in Montreal , I booked the Marriott on my past experiences.

Hotel is situated on Place du Canada ( where you can walk, or get the courtest bus to an Avis car rental0, and within 5-10 mins walk of St Catherine Street, with it's many shops, restaurants etc. The hotel also has direct access to the metro with a lift in the reception area.

The hotel was obviously very plush in previous times, now losing just a little of it's grandeur. For me, this wasn't a problem , as all staff we encountered were outstanding in their friendliness and helpfulness.

Check in was very quick, room was a good size with 2 double beds, good view over the river. Bathrooms were clean - just dated.

Had a room only rate and decided, due to time restraints - to have breakfast one moring. CAN$100 for 3 people! Ouch!! Hoever good the breakfast is, it's just breakfast. We also ate in Ruebens on St Catherine Strett, which was great.

Only issue we had was while we were waiting for our daughter. Decided to wait for her in the lobby. Stabucks had closed( this was at 6pm), and we weren't allowed to take a drink from the bar as they didn't allow glasses in the lobby.

On the whole, good location for ease of getting around, a few shops in the lobby, clean, if dated ,rooms, and excellent staff.

Would I stay there again? Only if I could get a good rate, which includes breakfast!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Waskesiu lake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Chateau at the end of January, for a getaway with my family. We all had a great time. We were located on a higher floor, with a view of the square, and also had access to the concierge lounge. The check in process was very efficient, and they were able to assist us with where to park our oversize vehicle. We were there during the week, and accessed the pool all three days of our stay, which was very nice, as we were the only ones using the facility.

We all loved the easy access to the downtown area, and the location was perfect for us. We walked all around the city, and it was nice to be close to the Bell Center after the hockey game.

Everything about our stay was great, and would love to come back for a visit sometime soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed there on a trip to Montreal. Very impressive lobby with a lot to do there, Starbucks, restaurant, shop, hair dresser..... The room was nice and clean just what you need in a hotel. The staffs there were also helpfull with directions and what do to !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days while visiting Montreal on work, this was my second visit to this hotel and what a disappointment. Between visits, my last trip to Montreal I stayed at the Delta Montreal which I was excellent, then came back here to pure disappointment.

Check in to the hotel was ho-hum, no description of anything at all. No room service hours, no breakfast hours, no pool location, nothing. Was more like checking into a Motel 6. Arrived in my room and heard the toilet running, called down immediately to the front desk and told them I would rather just get another room before I unpack if this is going to take some time. They said no, that it would only take a minute. Maintenance shows up at my room, spends 3 seconds on the toilet and it stops running. He comes out says he's done and I ask him to flush it before he leaves to make sure it doesn't happen again. He said he already did (which he did not), it it's fine. After he leaves, tested it and sure enough it continues running. This was at 11:30pm and I was exhausted so I just closed the bathroom door and listened to it all night.

Wake up the next morning to go and take a shower, no hot water, NONE! I was in a rush and needed to get to a meeting so I ended up having a cold shower. Called to the front desk on my way out and asked them to send someone up while I am away to please fix the toilet and hot water. Upon return to my room 9 hours later the toilet was still running and I now had luke warm water when turning all the way to hot... at least better than cold. I call down and am told that maintenance is on a long call and I will have to wait at least an hour. I got frustrated and said forget about it. Just dealt with the noisy toilet and no hot water for the rest of my visit.

No followups, no apologies, no offer for compensation... NOTHING!

Now the only reason I gave this hotel this visit a 3/5 is due to room service. Ordered room service twice during my stay and it was excellent. The only downside was the menu which was on regular white paper which was torn and had food stains on it (again, Motel 6). But, the food and service was excellent! Very happy with this.

One other thing to note would be that the TV reception here is HORRIBLE, my TV was mainly static on all channels. I ended up watching movies via my laptop which I hooked up to the TV VGA port. Lucky I brought a cable as there are none there. At the Delta Montreal they have every cable you could possibly need already hooked up to the TV and built into the desk (VGA, HDMI, RGB, etc) My next visit will for sure be to the Delta Montreal, I am done with this hotel and recommend all reading this to stay there as well. Its always either cheaper or the same price and the rooms are phenomenal. Not only that, but when you check in to the Delta hotel they always have the lights in the room on waiting for you, soft music playing and the rooms seem to be lightly scented. Marriott doesnt give a crap about trying to make you comfortable just want you in and out.

*Note to Management* Maybe try going the extra mile once in a while like other Marriott properties do, try taking care of your guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorkinTraveller
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel feels a little dated and could do with a smart overhaul. It's in a great location just a few minutes walk from the Bell Centre for ice hockey and concerts, and the main shopping street.
Free Internet which is always gratefully received and should be standard in all hotels.
Good gym and pool ok, though again could do with an update, especially the jacuzzi, and a sauna would be a welcome addition given how cold it is in winter and early spring.. -8c when the sun was shining on one day we were there.
Valet parking is good though quite expensive at $30 a day.
Breakfast is bog standard and very expensive for what it is at $22. To be fair we struggled to find anywhere decent for brekkie in Montreal, possibly the French influence...
Overall standard hotel, nothing to write home about.. If you're looking for WOW factor try somewhere like the W Hotel instead...

• Stayed March 2013