“Big step down from last visit”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Big step down from last visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days while visiting Montreal on work, this was my second visit to this hotel and what a disappointment. Between visits, my last trip to Montreal I stayed at the Delta Montreal which I was excellent, then came back here to pure disappointment.

Check in to the hotel was ho-hum, no description of anything at all. No room service hours, no breakfast hours, no pool location, nothing. Was more like checking into a Motel 6. Arrived in my room and heard the toilet running, called down immediately to the front desk and told them I would rather just get another room before I unpack if this is going to take some time. They said no, that it would only take a minute. Maintenance shows up at my room, spends 3 seconds on the toilet and it stops running. He comes out says he's done and I ask him to flush it before he leaves to make sure it doesn't happen again. He said he already did (which he did not), it it's fine. After he leaves, tested it and sure enough it continues running. This was at 11:30pm and I was exhausted so I just closed the bathroom door and listened to it all night.

Wake up the next morning to go and take a shower, no hot water, NONE! I was in a rush and needed to get to a meeting so I ended up having a cold shower. Called to the front desk on my way out and asked them to send someone up while I am away to please fix the toilet and hot water. Upon return to my room 9 hours later the toilet was still running and I now had luke warm water when turning all the way to hot... at least better than cold. I call down and am told that maintenance is on a long call and I will have to wait at least an hour. I got frustrated and said forget about it. Just dealt with the noisy toilet and no hot water for the rest of my visit.

No followups, no apologies, no offer for compensation... NOTHING!

Now the only reason I gave this hotel this visit a 3/5 is due to room service. Ordered room service twice during my stay and it was excellent. The only downside was the menu which was on regular white paper which was torn and had food stains on it (again, Motel 6). But, the food and service was excellent! Very happy with this.

One other thing to note would be that the TV reception here is HORRIBLE, my TV was mainly static on all channels. I ended up watching movies via my laptop which I hooked up to the TV VGA port. Lucky I brought a cable as there are none there. At the Delta Montreal they have every cable you could possibly need already hooked up to the TV and built into the desk (VGA, HDMI, RGB, etc) My next visit will for sure be to the Delta Montreal, I am done with this hotel and recommend all reading this to stay there as well. Its always either cheaper or the same price and the rooms are phenomenal. Not only that, but when you check in to the Delta hotel they always have the lights in the room on waiting for you, soft music playing and the rooms seem to be lightly scented. Marriott doesnt give a crap about trying to make you comfortable just want you in and out.

*Note to Management* Maybe try going the extra mile once in a while like other Marriott properties do, try taking care of your guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorkinTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel feels a little dated and could do with a smart overhaul. It's in a great location just a few minutes walk from the Bell Centre for ice hockey and concerts, and the main shopping street.
Free Internet which is always gratefully received and should be standard in all hotels.
Good gym and pool ok, though again could do with an update, especially the jacuzzi, and a sauna would be a welcome addition given how cold it is in winter and early spring.. -8c when the sun was shining on one day we were there.
Valet parking is good though quite expensive at $30 a day.
Breakfast is bog standard and very expensive for what it is at $22. To be fair we struggled to find anywhere decent for brekkie in Montreal, possibly the French influence...
Overall standard hotel, nothing to write home about.. If you're looking for WOW factor try somewhere like the W Hotel instead...

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Toto_W6
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Marriott Château Champlain exceeded our expectations in almost every area. The hotel lobby and common areas had a nice luxurious feel. The room was modern and up-to-date and spotlessly clean.

The staff really stood out for their warmth and helpfulness. On our first evening, we found ourselves starving after 10 p.m., but unenthusiastic about venturing out into the frigid Montreal night. I called client services to see whether my 10 year old daughter would be allowed to have a late dinner in the bar with me, and was told that she couldn't eat in the bar, but could sit in the restaurant. When we went downstairs, we discovered that the restaurant was, in fact, closed, but they set a table for us anyway, just off the bar, and let us order from the bar menu. Our server worked both the bar and our table and was very attentive. The evening manager who set the whole thing up was really very lovely about the whole thing. I never felt like we were an inconvenience, even though they were clearly going out of their way to help us out. Truly top-notch service. And, as an aside, my daughter absolutely loved the mac and cheese with crab and crushed Doritos. Quirky and delicious.

I have a few very small complaints, nothing that took away from our enjoyment of the stay, but suggestions for improvement. The selection of television channels is really pretty dire. Nothing but network television and a few very basic cable channels. No option for a pay-per-view movie or anything else. We had one evening during our stay when the weather was really miserable and would have liked to cuddle up under the blanket with some junk food and junky TV, but it really wasn't an option. In future, I would bring a lap top with movies to watch.

The pool area is quite nice, also very clean. The pool water was very warm, but the pool area was surprisingly cold and breezy. We would have liked to swim, hang around on deck relaxing for a while, then swim again, but it was simply way too cold for that.

We got an excellent price on our room using a blind bidding site, so it's worth looking around for a good deal. We paid under $100 a night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel seemed 'tired' and in need of an overhaul. I was only here for one night so don't have much to comment on service.
It was an expensive hotel although I didn't check it against others within the same area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
St-Jérôme
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This Marriott was build in 1965, they do major renovations in the building in the past years but its not like the Sofitel, Westin or the W, but the charge the prime cost like it was a new place, I choose this hotel for the location, its 1 minute walk from the Bell Center. They also have major problems with the elevators, 2 of them were out of services.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Easyofff,
Thank you for your comments. Sorry we did not meet your expections. Hope you will reconsider us in the future.
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent one night here before checking out. We were paying around $200 a night on a weekend in Feb. That's not an unreasonable price but not worth it for this hotel. The hotel is VERY dated and badly in need of an update. Sadly this property is not up to par with other Marriott properties. It looks like they're doing construction on the street in front and the neighborhood might be good for business travelers but it's not at all good for tourists. The hotel is surrounded by office buildings not cool attractions and restaurants. To top it off the Starbucks in the lobby served me one of the worst and weakest cups if coffee I've ever had. On the up side the staff was very nice, professional and helpful. If you business nearby or if the hotel renovates it would be worthwhile but not otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cityrider76
Thank you for your feedback cityrider76,
Sorry to read that our settings did not meet your expectation but your great comments about our staff are greatly appreciated and will be shared with all of them.
Hope to have the oppurtunity to welcome you back again.
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This Hotel is very upscale but due to the obvious connection to the bell center there are alot of "normal" people staying here ( i.e familys with kids ) for the NHL hockey games. This was great due to the fact that we were in town for the Hockey game and we fit in with all the fancy suits and dresses and Hockey jerseys!
The hotel was very clean, staff was amazing very friendly to us no matter what our request.
Pool and gym area was imaculate. The rooms were very clean and tidy BUT small we had a room with two DOUBLE yes DOUBLE beds i did not think you could still stay at a hotel with Double beds!! but it was a boys weekend with their dads so we made the best of it, bathroom as well very small but clean and above anything else clean is good! We did not eat at the Hotel as this was its only downfall TOO EXSPENSIVE and very limited for us.
The other nice thing is that we could travel just about anywhere underground without a coat and see/ shop alot - including going to the hockey game. it was awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. in Montreal the higher the floor the nicer the view!