“Needs a refurb”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #41 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here for four nights total at beginning and end of a visit to Canada.
Pros:
Great location, close to Bell Centre for Canadiens games, and 20 mins walk to Old City, Mont Royal park etc and the Central Station (for VIA rail trains to Quebec and New York) is five minutes walk through the underground tunnels from the hotel. However, be aware that at weekends, being in the business district, everything around the hotel above ground is pretty much closed.
Easily reached from the airport via the 747 bus (stop 4, Peel) which costs only $9 per person and is a great service.
The concierge was really helpful and able to obtain two Canadiens tickets on the day of a game.
Cons: the hotel has the old fashioned mahogany interior throughout that belongs in the 80s. Needs a refurb. We were given a twin double on both occasions despite requesting a king (and despite being assured that on our return one would be available). Both beds were uncomfortable. Breakfast in the hotel was ok, but expensive.
Overall, this hotel is only average. I've stayed in many hotels and this was ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JayneLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Locally known as "The Cheese Grater", this is an older style Marriott in a great central location. The lobby and staff are great. The downstairs bar is a frequent and busy hangout for the business travellers, drinks are decent and the tapas are nice. Service in the bar tends to be stuffy but generally attentive.

The rooms are good size and are finally being renovated - FINALLY!!! Every room is identical either with a king or two doubles. The newer renovated rooms are definitely better, especially the bathrooms which were getting old and stale. It is important to note that although I say old, they are only old for a higher end hotel.

The location is great for most downtown locations, Bell Centre, St Catherine's Street, Gare Centrale, etc.

Gym and pool are nice. Conference facilities great, food for conferences is great. Main restaurant is a bit expensive but generally very good.

I stay here for a week about 6 times per year for business.

Room Tip: Renovated bathrooms are definitely preferable
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I really liked this hotel. It has a very central location and I could walk to everything I wanted to see. The room was great. The room seemed spacious and had a nice king bed - I slept well. I liked the curved window in the room which served as an excellent frame for the great view out my window from the 21st floor. Elevators were quick. The front desk staff went out of their way at check in to make me feel welcome. Very good stay. Would definitely return.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EastCoastCanada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel as well. Didn't get any photos the first time, but it's quite a nice hotel. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. I had a comfortable king size bed and complimentary wifi during my stay. Decor was pretty and there was a separate closet/dressing room. There was a bar fridge that you needed a key from the front desk for as well as a small fridge for personal use.

I really appreciate it when hotel rooms have a small fridge in them. I think they should be mandatory in all hotel rooms. They're just great for bottles of water and leftovers.

There was a nice gym in the pool area which was good. The hotel is also right on top of the metro line, so there's direct access from the hotel (they have their own elevator to the metro station - Bonaventure) and underground access through the tunnels to Eaton Centre from there as well.

There's also a Starbucks on the lobby level of the hotel which is convenient.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at this hotel to anyone traveling to Montreal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

2 nights on business. location is nice but a bit further away from the business district and shopping then some other hotels. site can be an issue on hockey nights. Rooms and breakfast are standard Marriott fare along with the high price you would expect. Bathroom is a bit weird as it is down a short hallway and door that takes up half the bathroom space if not closed…lots of fun to negotiate in the middle of the night

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Perfect location for over and under...ground exploring. One block to 747 bus, the direct airport transport, elevator in lobby takes you to the Metro. There are well lit corridors to downtown Plazas and shops... great on a cold, snowy day. Room large, view from 28th floor spectacular, bathroom tight. Linens good quality, washing product may be too harsh for some. I had to purchase a pillowcase to avoid another "face rash" day. All in all, the Grande Dame is still grand with plusses outweighing the minuses.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on the way to and from Ottawa. On arrival DH was late for a meeting and we were very impressed by the efficiency of the front desk staff who did the check-in at lightening speed and the bell staff who helped me get our luggage to the room.
The room was a good size and I am sure that some have good views. The pool was nice with a good hot tub. we were tired and decided to eat at the Pub in the hotel and we were not impressed. The food was poor (they messed-up my order of wings because the server did not actually understand when I asked if they could do them with a mild sauce - turned out they are pre-marinated and I ended up with a numb mouth and a different dish) and the service lackadaisical.
Our second visit my DH had hurt his foot and the front of house staff again were helpfull. They loaned us a wheelchair so that he could get down to breakfast and then down to check-out . The resteraunt staff were also very helpfull, taking the wheelchair to the side and being especially attentive.
One thing we were surprised by was the attitude of the staff in the executive lounge. DH is a gold member so we have been in many lounges but have never been told that we were expected to clear our own table (and to stack plates, put cutlery to soak etc.). We found this rather strange. The nightly hors d'ouvres seemed to be leftovers from lunch - a kind of noodle stir fry which was strange and desert was fruit salad. Not quite what we have had elsewhere.
We have stayed at 4 of the marriott Hotels in Montreal and this would not be our first choice in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice machine and elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business