Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
Hotel Nelligan(Montreal)
$170
$158
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshared bathroombudget hotelold montrealdouble bedsaint laurenthard wood floorsplace des artsflights of stairsdowntown montreallocation is greatcentral locationmetro stationbooked this hotelyogurtcontinental breakfastper daysex
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a budget hotel, simple yet clean.... and in a great location for seeing Montreal.
I never write reviews but I am moved to write about the friendly staff who work here. I arrived tired and hot. When they saw that I was older than many guests there, they upgraded my room when the other available rooms might be more difficult. They answered my tourist questions. I have never had a need for an iron but I did and it was quickly provided, in fact I then found out they were in each hallway!
So, if you are looking foir a budget hotel, convenient and friendlly, I highly reccomend this place. It may seem a bit strange to lodge above a sex shop and between tattoo parlours, but it goes fine for this almost 60 year old woman..

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Meredith11
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Amazing place! If you are looking for a 50 floor hotel with 3 swimming pools banquet facilities that is NOT the place. But if you are looking for a place with lots of character, beautiful rooms that make you feel you are in a nice Bed and breakfast go for it. Rooms are extremely clean, linen, floor you name it. It does not only look clean it smells clean. Rates are most reasonable. Make sure you ask for a quiet room. The creaking of the floor may disturb some ppl and ONLY the new studios have private bathroom others have shared ones but they are sparkling clean.

Location is horrible many beggars huslter but Montreal experienced socialism for decades the result is that it destroyed the city. So poverty beggars is the name of the name EVERYWHERE you go in this run down poverty striken city. No worse or better on rue St Laurent.

Overall a great bargain but for a longer stay consider something fancier.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bjguy
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I stayed in a studio apartment room 4, which was located at the back of the building. The only negative I would say is trying to bring a heavy case up the stairs, which I luckily had help with from a local friend. Yes it is located next to a sex shop and if I had seen it from the outside I probably would have been put off - and I'm VERY glad I wasn't.
The room had a comfortable double bed, a kitchenette with table and chairs, a t.v., plenty of wardrobe room, and a small bathroom with bath and shower. It had good heating which I could alter myself and air con. Free Wi-fi which had excellent reception. The bed was made regularly and the room tidyed by the maids regularly. The desk was helpful if I had enquiries or needed anything. In short it had everything I needed for my stay here - an absolute bargain for the price. If you are looking for frills stay elsewhere - but if good basic hotel centrally located is what you seek, then look no further. No breakfast, but then so many food places nearby and having a kitchenette that's no problem. The supermarkets are expensive compared to the UK but wonderful produce. Try St. Huberts for chicken dishes and in the local take aways poutine and beaver tails as (high calorie!) snacks - yum! Pitta pit is great for sandwiches and even subway is way better than the uk version. Micobreweries for real ales and Fouffes for a rock nightclub. Fab.
The hotel was situated so that if when you leave the front entrance and turned left you came to somewhat of shall we say the wrong end of town? Turn right and it was shopping and respectability. I went both ways without harm and enjoyed every moment.
There was a side enterance once I had signed in which is the door I mostly used and friends could come and have time with me when ever I wished. The metro was a very short walk and everything I wanted was in a relatively short distance.
I only hope to be able to return and yes I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gothic
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Whenever I go to Montreal., and that's usually once a year for the past 15 years, I book a room at this hotel... I LOVE Montreal - the food, the festivals, the shopping, the cultural events and performances! and since that's what I go for, I could not ask for a better location! Everything I want is walking distance from this hotell!

I have done solo trips, and trips with friends and with partners.... In every instance, all greatly enjoyed their "first" experience to Montreal because, after the first day, they could get around on their own.

Montreal is such a metropolitan of activity, there are always people around!. During the festivals, you'll see families still out there at 10 to 11 o'clock at night, and even if there are the "unsavory" characters as well as "sex" shops or clubs, most people walking around are just local workers or tourists that you can't help but feel SAFE!

As to the hotel itself, the service is great! The reception staff are always most welcoming and are very knowledgeable as to the activities or places you might want to go to to make your trip extra special!

The rooms are kept CLEAN and so are the shared bathrooms. Lately though, I've been staying in the studios as I tend to stay for ten days or so, and I like to have my coffee and toast/or bagel at my leisure before getting ready to go out for the day....

The hotel does not have all the ammenities of a Hilton, but it is quaint and has a distinctive charm that makes your stay one that is not only affordable, but historical as well. However, since it is an older building, you might want to use an I-Pod with ear plugs to get a good night's sleep, since the outside crowds can keep you up later than you would like....

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sun-seeker2008-09
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Location could not be better. The service was great. Room was lovely and clean. However, the corner of Ste Cathrine and St Laurent goes all night. It was so noisy, we could not sleep. I highly recommend this place, but suggest you ask for a room on the other side of the building not facing these streets.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends