“Perfectly located at Montreal's crossroads!”

Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
Ranked #72 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
darkest yorkshire
“Perfectly located at Montreal's crossroads!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

I stayed in a studio apartment room 4, which was located at the back of the building. The only negative I would say is trying to bring a heavy case up the stairs, which I luckily had help with from a local friend. Yes it is located next to a sex shop and if I had seen it from the outside I probably would have been put off - and I'm VERY glad I wasn't.
The room had a comfortable double bed, a kitchenette with table and chairs, a t.v., plenty of wardrobe room, and a small bathroom with bath and shower. It had good heating which I could alter myself and air con. Free Wi-fi which had excellent reception. The bed was made regularly and the room tidyed by the maids regularly. The desk was helpful if I had enquiries or needed anything. In short it had everything I needed for my stay here - an absolute bargain for the price. If you are looking for frills stay elsewhere - but if good basic hotel centrally located is what you seek, then look no further. No breakfast, but then so many food places nearby and having a kitchenette that's no problem. The supermarkets are expensive compared to the UK but wonderful produce. Try St. Huberts for chicken dishes and in the local take aways poutine and beaver tails as (high calorie!) snacks - yum! Pitta pit is great for sandwiches and even subway is way better than the uk version. Micobreweries for real ales and Fouffes for a rock nightclub. Fab.
The hotel was situated so that if when you leave the front entrance and turned left you came to somewhat of shall we say the wrong end of town? Turn right and it was shopping and respectability. I went both ways without harm and enjoyed every moment.
There was a side enterance once I had signed in which is the door I mostly used and friends could come and have time with me when ever I wished. The metro was a very short walk and everything I wanted was in a relatively short distance.
I only hope to be able to return and yes I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gothic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hungarian first
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

Whenever I go to Montreal., and that's usually once a year for the past 15 years, I book a room at this hotel... I LOVE Montreal - the food, the festivals, the shopping, the cultural events and performances! and since that's what I go for, I could not ask for a better location! Everything I want is walking distance from this hotell!

I have done solo trips, and trips with friends and with partners.... In every instance, all greatly enjoyed their "first" experience to Montreal because, after the first day, they could get around on their own.

Montreal is such a metropolitan of activity, there are always people around!. During the festivals, you'll see families still out there at 10 to 11 o'clock at night, and even if there are the "unsavory" characters as well as "sex" shops or clubs, most people walking around are just local workers or tourists that you can't help but feel SAFE!

As to the hotel itself, the service is great! The reception staff are always most welcoming and are very knowledgeable as to the activities or places you might want to go to to make your trip extra special!

The rooms are kept CLEAN and so are the shared bathrooms. Lately though, I've been staying in the studios as I tend to stay for ten days or so, and I like to have my coffee and toast/or bagel at my leisure before getting ready to go out for the day....

The hotel does not have all the ammenities of a Hilton, but it is quaint and has a distinctive charm that makes your stay one that is not only affordable, but historical as well. However, since it is an older building, you might want to use an I-Pod with ear plugs to get a good night's sleep, since the outside crowds can keep you up later than you would like....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sun-seeker2008-09
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Location could not be better. The service was great. Room was lovely and clean. However, the corner of Ste Cathrine and St Laurent goes all night. It was so noisy, we could not sleep. I highly recommend this place, but suggest you ask for a room on the other side of the building not facing these streets.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

My fiance and I stayed in a studio apartment and it was a great experience, because it was like having our own apartment in Montreal for the weekend. We had a separate entrance to access the apartment and the apartment had all the amenities we needed - a small kitchen, eating area, private bathroom, and a bed. Perfect for a weekend get-away!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OntarioKiki
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

When i first found about the deal at their web site, it was looking too good to be true. And some reviews in here sounded like location was not safe (which is NOT true), i had limited budget,and i took my chance :) I always prefer Hotels over B&B , because of 24 hours reception, alternative room option if somethings go wrong, etc..

My room was very clean & bright. Staff was friendly . And the location in the hearth of the city, subway 2 minutes away, you can walk down to old Montreal within 15 minutes !!

Yes there are some strip clubs around but it doesn't mean hotel located in the ghettos.
Hotel located intersection of one of 2 most popular streets (St.Cathrines & St.Lauren) Street is well litted, there is bus stop just across the hotel, you can always see people walking around, if i briefly summarize i feel safe when i walk around the area.

My final words,this place of course not a Hilton, but i can suggest anyone with limited budget without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank krmkd
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

First the one negative: it's surrounded by strip clubs and sex shops, so if you have kids or are easily offended, don't stay here!

Now the outrageous number of positives: if you book ahead with the web deal it's insanely cheap compared to anything else. It's located walking distance to a huge number of tourist attractions, and it's .5 block from the Metro station if you need to go further. The staff have been very friendly, and finding out it was our first trip to Montreal have made sure we knew about all the places we should go see. Parking is right around the corner in a guarded lot, and only costs $12 CAD a day. The rooms are lived in, but clean, with a sink and towel racks in the room itself. The bathrooms are huge and clean and well lit. The heat works very well. There is free Wi-Fi with a strong signal.

It is an area that gets a little rowdy at night, so sleeping with the windows open is definitely out, but each room has an A/C in the window.

Oh, and bring your own alarm clock - that isn't provided. All the other usual stuff is.

I would definitely stay here again, if coming to this area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elfsinger
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

First let me say I am used to traveling alone and all over the world. I am a (young) 45 year old female business owner that is in shape. You'll understand shortly why this info is important.

I found this hotel on the Web. I shop first location then for price when looking for a hotel. I dont like spending a lot of money on a hotel room because you only sleep and shower there (at least that's all I usually do!!!) This place was less than half the price than the other hotels. And in my opinion well worth it.

I did read the other reviews on TripAdvisor and I want to address both the bad and good that other people had to say. Its always intersting that people can have such conflicting opinions but be in the exact same place. Some times even at the same time!!!

I wanted a hotel that was close to everything so I could walk. This hotel is centrally located: it is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Old Montreal, 10 minute walk to the Quarter Latin/Chinatown and 10-15 walk the other direction to all the shopping. (OMGoddess is there SHOPPING! it is dizzying!) For what I wanted to do on this first trip to Montreal this hotel was perfectly located.

Now - just where it is located: right on St Catherine and yes, people, there is a sex shop next door (I took a picture for you to see). And an Opera across the street. And Plaza de la Arts on the next block. If that is going to freak you out then stay someplace else. Yes, people brought children into the hotel. We all lived.

The reception desk is on the second floor. You do have to go up two flights of stairs to get into the hotel. You will have to go up two or three flights of stairs to get to your room. This was not a big deal to me as I exercise for a living. To many people it would be a big deal to not have an elevator. I suggest you start a regular exercise program - then you'd have no issues with a few stairs.

The room was clean. I did a shared bathroom which was clean as well. And so was the bathroom below which I used if someone was in the one next to my room. I would stay here again if I came to Montreal. The staff was very nice and friendly. And no, the place was NOT A BROTHEL. If it was I certainly didn't notice. And it certainly didn't affect (effect?) me if it was. If you want a fancy hotel, with an elevator, a spacious room with expensive linens, lotions and potions and fancy soaps, etc. this is NOT it. But you aren't paying for that either. So please don't complain if that isn't what you get. HELLO!!!!!!!

Parking was not available on site. There is a $10 outside lot you can park in. I have a BMW so I chose to park in the Plaza De Arts secure underground lot for $15 a day located 1 1/2 blocks away. (Note: you cannot get into this parking area on Sundays to park but you can get out!! CASH ONLY) You can unload your luggage in front of the hotel then go park your car.

Be sure to eat at Boccacino's on McGill College - awesome food both breakfast, lunch and dinner. And right next door is Les 3 Brausseurs (spelling) great beer and great food! Old Montreal is really beautiful. I enjoyed the shopping on rue St Paul much more than all of the junk stores in many of the underground areas. Sitting in the park is quite pleasant. I can't tell you about nightlife because I have been there, done that 15 years ago and I'm not interested in doing it again.

Montreal is an extremely easy city to navigate. I used a map. No problems what so ever. You can get this map at this hotel.

I hope folks find this review helpful. Happy travels!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo