“Cheap, centrally located, clean - what more could you ask for?”

Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
Ranked #78 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cheap, centrally located, clean - what more could you ask for?”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

First the one negative: it's surrounded by strip clubs and sex shops, so if you have kids or are easily offended, don't stay here!

Now the outrageous number of positives: if you book ahead with the web deal it's insanely cheap compared to anything else. It's located walking distance to a huge number of tourist attractions, and it's .5 block from the Metro station if you need to go further. The staff have been very friendly, and finding out it was our first trip to Montreal have made sure we knew about all the places we should go see. Parking is right around the corner in a guarded lot, and only costs $12 CAD a day. The rooms are lived in, but clean, with a sink and towel racks in the room itself. The bathrooms are huge and clean and well lit. The heat works very well. There is free Wi-Fi with a strong signal.

It is an area that gets a little rowdy at night, so sleeping with the windows open is definitely out, but each room has an A/C in the window.

Oh, and bring your own alarm clock - that isn't provided. All the other usual stuff is.

I would definitely stay here again, if coming to this area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elfsinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hungarian first
Boston
Reviewed August 28, 2009

First let me say I am used to traveling alone and all over the world. I am a (young) 45 year old female business owner that is in shape. You'll understand shortly why this info is important.

I found this hotel on the Web. I shop first location then for price when looking for a hotel. I dont like spending a lot of money on a hotel room because you only sleep and shower there (at least that's all I usually do!!!) This place was less than half the price than the other hotels. And in my opinion well worth it.

I did read the other reviews on TripAdvisor and I want to address both the bad and good that other people had to say. Its always intersting that people can have such conflicting opinions but be in the exact same place. Some times even at the same time!!!

I wanted a hotel that was close to everything so I could walk. This hotel is centrally located: it is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Old Montreal, 10 minute walk to the Quarter Latin/Chinatown and 10-15 walk the other direction to all the shopping. (OMGoddess is there SHOPPING! it is dizzying!) For what I wanted to do on this first trip to Montreal this hotel was perfectly located.

Now - just where it is located: right on St Catherine and yes, people, there is a sex shop next door (I took a picture for you to see). And an Opera across the street. And Plaza de la Arts on the next block. If that is going to freak you out then stay someplace else. Yes, people brought children into the hotel. We all lived.

The reception desk is on the second floor. You do have to go up two flights of stairs to get into the hotel. You will have to go up two or three flights of stairs to get to your room. This was not a big deal to me as I exercise for a living. To many people it would be a big deal to not have an elevator. I suggest you start a regular exercise program - then you'd have no issues with a few stairs.

The room was clean. I did a shared bathroom which was clean as well. And so was the bathroom below which I used if someone was in the one next to my room. I would stay here again if I came to Montreal. The staff was very nice and friendly. And no, the place was NOT A BROTHEL. If it was I certainly didn't notice. And it certainly didn't affect (effect?) me if it was. If you want a fancy hotel, with an elevator, a spacious room with expensive linens, lotions and potions and fancy soaps, etc. this is NOT it. But you aren't paying for that either. So please don't complain if that isn't what you get. HELLO!!!!!!!

Parking was not available on site. There is a $10 outside lot you can park in. I have a BMW so I chose to park in the Plaza De Arts secure underground lot for $15 a day located 1 1/2 blocks away. (Note: you cannot get into this parking area on Sundays to park but you can get out!! CASH ONLY) You can unload your luggage in front of the hotel then go park your car.

Be sure to eat at Boccacino's on McGill College - awesome food both breakfast, lunch and dinner. And right next door is Les 3 Brausseurs (spelling) great beer and great food! Old Montreal is really beautiful. I enjoyed the shopping on rue St Paul much more than all of the junk stores in many of the underground areas. Sitting in the park is quite pleasant. I can't tell you about nightlife because I have been there, done that 15 years ago and I'm not interested in doing it again.

Montreal is an extremely easy city to navigate. I used a map. No problems what so ever. You can get this map at this hotel.

I hope folks find this review helpful. Happy travels!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank HimalayanQueen
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Nice place, right in the center of the city. It's a great place, since it is located right at the main road, you go for shopping or dining. Even night entertainment is all around. Rooms are ok, nothing fancy, everything is rather old, but everything is clean, bathrooms are recently renovated. So it is nothing special, but for that price everything is alright.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smuutje
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed here during the Grand Prix, and you can't beat the location for the price. Metro and bus on the block, or walk to the downtown shopping, Chinatown, trendy restaurants up St-Laurent or Vieux Port.

If all you need is a place to rest your head at night because you'll spend the whole day touring the city, this hotel cannot be beat.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marc B
toronto
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We received a recommendation from a friend who said it was a good hotel for the price. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and the service is nice. Everybody is very attentive and polite. Unfortunately those are the only good things in this place. The location is close to a lot of Montreal top ten places to visit, but it's a very weird neighborhood with lots of protitution and drugs. Like other users said my husband also saw lots of protitutes going up and down to the rooms.
We had to stay in the first floor and it is very noisy, the hole night we could hear people talking, loud music, cars and I don't know what else. It was two very terrible nights and nobody could sleep properly.
It was really not worth it!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank cacau
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Visiting friends in Vermont...We drove up for an overnight stay and grabbed the last room available here. My friends had stayed there before. The 3 of us shared one of the "suites" that have small kitchenettes included. For our purposes the hotel was great - within walking distance to everything we did - dinner, drinks, clubs, etc... Was great for a quick getaway on a budget. We certainly had no grand expectations, but the service was friendly and the room was comfortable. Did not notice any loud neighbors, and our room did not overlook a street. The window a/c unit was great white noise.

• Liked — Location on St Catherine close to nightlife
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2008

At first I thought it was a great price for a hotel...Ok let's try it...but I when I walked in (the front entrance) I saw two prostitutes walking down the stairs. I promptly walked out... I continuously saw prostitutes walking in and out and hanging around the entrance to that hotel. If you don't believe me, just pass-by there around 6 a.m. every morning.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Prostitutes
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business