“Cheap and clean, in a great location!”

Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
Ranked #80 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
“Cheap and clean, in a great location!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I was worried about my stay with my boyfriend for 4nights here as the reviews seemed to be a real mish-mash. We were both particularly concerned about the rundown and dodgy nature that had been portrayed. However, we really didn't need to worry at all.
We visited Montreal during the Francofolies festival which is located directly next to the hotel itself and although the security and police flanking every corner may have helped, we never once felt unsafe or concerned. Even late at night. The sex shop next door really isn't even worth mentioning, we barely noticed it was there!

As stated above we visited during a festival and therefore there was a lot of noise from the band and the crowd. And really, that didnt bother us. My boyfriend bought a cheap set of earplugs but the music was usually finished by 11 anyway! Perhaps selling earplugs at the reception desk may be something for the hotel to consider?

The hotel itself does not host some facilities such as a dining area or laundry but this doesnt depreciate from the visit. They provide breakfast vouchers for a cafe depot just over the road which serves breakfast between 6 and 11am. This was never a problem for us. In fact, we enjoyed getting up and about and this was a great way to start the process.

Our stay consisted of a budget double with a shared bathroom and we never once waited to take a shower. The facilities are individual locking rooms which gives you a sense of your own personal privacy. The rooms also have their own sinks which is great if you just want to brush your teeth or wash your hands.

Overall, the rooms are pretty basic but everything is pretty much covered. We really enjoyed our stay and the staff added to the experience by always answering any queries we had and showing us the best places to visit.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Tarch333
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank-you for your review of our budget rooms with shared washrooms. The hotel also has superior rooms in the new section of our establishment and studio apartments with kitchen facilities for clients looking for more comfort and amenities.

Every year, for the past three years, we have received an excellence award from our Tripadvisor clients and for the past two years, the best value hotel in Montreal. We are very proud of our ratings and pleased to see our clients return time and time again.

We appreciate your suggestions and your kind words regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, our ideal location, the helpfulness of the staff and our cheap accommodations. Thank-you once again and until next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hungarian first
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here in a studio room, it was a great size and comfortable while the hotel was incredibly located. The staff seemed pleased to help and give advice at pretty much any hour of the night. They all were amazing at their jobs and gave us great restaurant advice and directions. The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown, we walked everywhere, to museums, mont royal park, old port etc, but the main bus station was very close, as were banks, and everything else we needed during our stay. Right across the street from la vitrine, were you can buy museum passes etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank verity f
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you were satisfied with our location and your studio accommodations. I hope to welcome you again soon and to have the opportunity to show you once again the trademark service that we are so proud of.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wow, CAROL, the front desk receptionist, was amazing. What a wonderful lady. She went beyond her standard role - ultimately, she planned our entire trip and made sure we were as comfortable as could be. She will never be forgotten and we will be sure to return to this hotel because of her. In terms of the hotel, it was very clean and they offer many different options to choose from that suit both budget and comfort. And lastly, this hotel is all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Thanks so much, we'll be back. Kudos to Carol.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DF_087
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thanks you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hotel Abri du Voyageur. I will certainly share your kind words with Carole. I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay at our hotel and that our team was able to help you in making your trip a memorable one. We are indeed privileged to have the ideal location to discover Montreal. Till next time.
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

At the crossing of St Catherine and St Laurent, L'Abri allows you to strike out in all directions and a Metro stop is right there too. We stayed in the Studio section and were surprised that these rooms come with kitchenettes (we can't read) which are fabulous but bring your own teabags etc.
Varnished wood floors, rooms at back with no noise, air conditioners, plenty of hot water and a thoroughly charming set of people on the front desk. ATM in foyer. Original paintings in rooms and one stunner of a painting by famous Quebec artist LeMoyne at front desk. Baggage storage if you are checking out early. One block from 747 city bus to airport. all very tasteful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back. The staircases are a bit labyrinthine..not sure there is an elevator
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vicki J
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hôtel Abri du Voyageur. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will proudly share your comments with our entire team. We look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Hello I've been to this hotel 2 times and loved it , the service is great , the price and location is amazing !! You can't get any better place if you want to be central montreal !!
Will be back for sure ;)
Lyne

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Poledancer28
We would like to thank you for your support and loyalty and for sharing this beautiful comment. We look forward to welcoming you for the third time !
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 7, 2013

First of all, the location of this hotel is pretty good, though perhaps 2 blocks in the "wrong" direction. It was a bit offsetting having a gigantic sex shop just outside, and I had been told a bit about the general area, but overall it wasn't really a big deal.
I had a private bathroom and it was fine, and overall the room was clean.
There was a bit of a strange situation that they have a sort of hostel-section of the hotel and the more hotel-section, which is where I stayed and could possibly be altering the reviews.
I did find it to be clean, really my biggest complaint was the lack of an elevator and I had been on a long business trip with a heavy suitcase. It was really cold the days I was here and my room had no issue (cold by Canadian standards, as I am Canadian, just to put in perspective).
But, overall, the value was good and close to many things! I think the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings true here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Graham E
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank-you for your review. Being a centennial building, our hotel does not have an elevator. The hotel is divided in three sections: one section has the budget rooms with shared washrooms (ideal for the budget conscious traveller), the renovated section with our standard and superior rooms with private washrooms and a third section with our studio apartments. Though there are remnants of the red light district in the area, the hotel is very well situated , being in the midst of the entertainment district and a few steps from most major tourist sites. We are pleased with the excellent reviews on most sites and are proud to have been awarded an excellence award for the past three years from our Tripadvisor guests. Rest assured we will continue to offer the best possible customer service, as well as clean and affordable rooms.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently because of a last-minute decision to visit Montreal. I usually stay at the Hotel Y but it was unfortunately fully-booked. After much research of cheap places to stay, I settled on this hotel based on the reasonable reviews it had. I'm glad I did because it was a decent place to stay for the price.

My room had a double bed, TV, dresser, sink, and a small desk with a lamp. Air con and a ceiling fan was also provided, although the fan in my room didn't seem to work and the air con was a little weak so the room was quite warm during my stay. The room was very clean and bright. On the down side, my room overlooked the corner of St Laurent and St Catherine's W so it was quite noisy at night with the people on the street below. If you want a decent night's sleep then it's probably worth asking for a quiet room when you make a reservation. I also found that the sound-proofing between rooms wasn't very good; that seems to be a problem throughout North America though!

The room I chose had a shared bathroom. Again, the bathrooms were clean. They had a shower cubicle, toilet and sink. There seemed to be two bathrooms on my floor, one of which was locked throughout the stay because of a blockage in the toilet. Fortunately I never had to queue to use the remaining bathroom.

The location for this hotel is pretty good. As other reviewers have said, it does have a lot of sex shops around it. Unlike other reviewers, I never felt unsafe walking through this area, probably because there were always people around, even at 2am and 5am. If you want to try the Montreal nightlife, this is a really good base to explore from. In addition, literally just around the corner (perhaps 200m from the hotel) is the St Laurent metro station, giving easy access to the other parts of the city. You could also walk into downtown easily enough from here if you really wanted - it's probably about 16 blocks. In addition, the Berri-UQAM bus station is a short walk away. I think it was about 7 blocks and it only took me 10 minutes with my suitcase.

Lastly, one of the good things about this hotel, aside from the cheap price, is the 24 hour check-in. A lot of other hotels of a similar price range only offer check-in between certain times. I feel fortunate that when I was doing my research and found another hotel that was slightly cheaper but with check-in until 11pm, I chose this one instead 'just in case.' I actually didn't arrive in Montreal until 2am because of a travel delay but that was no problem with this hotel.

To summarise, if you want a cheap hotel in a convenient location, this hotel would be a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - one that doesn't overlook the corner of St Catherine's and St Laurent...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Catpea
Larry56Montreal, General Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments and an honest evaluation of our.budget rooms with shared washrooms. The new and refurbished sections of our hotel have the standard, superior and studio apartments for clients looking for additional comfort. Our hotel prides itself in our customer service, the cleanliness of our rooms, as well as our low rates and thus am pleased of your comments in this regard. Though there are remnants of Montreal's former red light district in our area, our hotel is situated in the midst of Montreal's new entertainment district (Quartier des Spectacles). Our location is within walking distance of Old Montreal, Chinatown, Latin Quarter and the Plateau and thus ideal to discover all of Montreal's major tourist sites, as well as participate in the festivals and nightlife of Montreal. We hope that you will return to our establishment on your next visit to Montreal.