“The worst hotel management in the WORLD”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #34 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My experience in this hotel was as I'd expected since I read the review from our fellow trip advisors. First of all I'm a platinum embassador holder and when I first checked in and welcomed with a yellow smile they told me that I didn't have the services that I'd expect to get from the room same as the other intercontenintal hotels around Canada where there are Free wifi, Free water, Complementary breakfast, or at least a clean room. The A/C in the room were too hot and didn't work since they didn't know how to fix it or even change my room because of it, the only thing I had left to do was pray until my visit in this city is over.

1  Thank Abdullah A
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Abdullah A,
We thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with our team following your most recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize that it did not meet your expectations. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience and rest assured that we will take this opportunity to review our procedures.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here the night of my wedding, and my wife stayed the night before. We had reserved an Executive Suite, room # 2508.

The room was big, nice, had everything we needed. The bathroom was great, the bed was comfortable and the stay was fine. But there were a few things that really bothered me and is why i cannot give my review better than an average rating.

1. It was pretty obvious that nobody had stayed in that room for a little while, and although it may have been cleaned at some point, no attention was given to it for some time because there were very thick layers of DUST on the furniture and tables. Pretty gross if you ask me, especially when you pay the price for an executive suite, you expect not just a clean room, but one that has been cleaned recently. We also found an empty bottle of wine that was in one of the cabinets that must have been sitting there for a while.

2. 3 times i went downstairs to ask for something, and all 3 times i was told to go see the Concierge. 2 of the 3 times i go to see the concierge, he wasn't actually there... i waited and waited and nobody came. The only time the concierge was there, all i needed him to do was to watch a bag for me while i took photos in the wolrd trade center with my bride. The concierge was sitting was serving a customer, so i poked my head in and asked him very nicely and he said " just give me a few minutes sir" ... and since i'm paying my photographer by the hour, and only have so much time, i could not wait.. so when i told him "i really don't have a few minutes, he said "OK" in a rude matter... he interrupted me as all i was going to say is, could you please watch my bag for a little bit. I found that quite disrespectful... didn't make sense to me that they kept sending me to the concierge and nobody was there.

3. It took way too long to get a bellman to bring a trolly up to my room so we could get out of the hotel . We were in a bit of a rush, to make it to a breakfast the next morning, but it was just taking forever... i had gone downstairs to get it myself, but luckily when i came back , the bellman had finally come.

4. I had called downstairs 10 minutes in advance to make sure the Valet got my car so we could leave quickly. When we come downstairs to get the car, the valet tells me " it will be 15 minutes" I didn't understand! I said, i called 10 minutes ago! He said, we are short staffed...

This was a Sunday, on memorial day weekend, how can you be short staffed on an american holiday when the hotel would obviously be busier ? didn't make sense to me.

I work 3 steps away from this hotel, and i'm from Montreal, i chose this hotel because of its location, and because i was going to take photos with my wedding party in the world trade center, because it is connected. The hotel is very nice, but these things really bothered me the most. The room was great, but the dust was pretty gross.

Room Tip: great location in old montreal
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MtlRich
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear MtlRich,
We thank you for your important feedback following your most recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear about the issues you encountered while staying with us and we sincerely apologize we could not make this stay with us perfect. You have brought important points to our attention and all of them will be reviewed with our team in order to ensure that these issues do not reoccur again in the future. Again, we would like to extend our most sincerely apologies to you and your wife. We will be sending a gift certificate to your attention shortly. We sincerely hope that you will take this opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were in the Canada for a long holiday and our good friends invited us for a weekend in Montreal. We decided on the Intercontinental on a recommendation and also it is very central for the city, it also had a pool, one of our criteria. Montreal was very busy on Fri night so thank goodness for the Sat Nav or we would never have found it!! The hotel parking was incredible, 12 floors of underground parking. The hotel is very smart and full of very trendy people.
Rooms were suites with a beautiful bathroom, shower big enough for 2! We ate out both nights so no comment on the dinner, breakfast however was a bit mixedWe were down early and had a fantastic breakfast of fruit, cooked and pastries, service was very slow as there were only two servers, our companions were down a bit later on and everything had gone and they were not offered anything in place. Second day was better, however we missed the pancakes and maple syrup. The bar was another stop off and the choice of wine was a bit limited, no Pinto Grigio! The most incredible part of the stay however was the price of the whisky, I asked for the best whisky they had, I got a Lagavullin and it cost me $48!!!
Overall a good hotel with a few issues around service. Pools a bit small, served it's purpose.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Maretta C,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments with our team following your stay in our hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our spacious guestrooms and large bathrooms. Also, we thank you for your honest comments on the breakfast served
in our restaurant and the drinks available in our bar as they allow us to constantly improve the quality of service that we offer.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Its in an ideal spot in Montreal, right at the beginning of old Montreal out of the back entrance, the front entrance is right across the street from the Metro.
Rooms are a really nice size for 2 people. The café downstairs is pricey, but nice to have the option if you are really hungry.
There is also a bixi bike rack (bike rental) out of the back of the hotel, which gives you a nice alternative travel options.
The price is reasonable but when taxes and parking are added it definitely puts the price up there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was wonderful, it's located in a charming part of town adjacent to the palais de congrès. Il est très chic. Trop beaux. We will hopefully return soon. The location is very convenient and the hotel is a master piece a work of art of sorts. We were greeted at the door upon entrance and our bags taken promptly. Met with the concierge which had someone escort us to our lovely suite. This is truly a 5 star. We really enjoyed every minute of it. Just splendid. Would recommend it to anyone traveling to Montreal.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Languagemaniac,
What a pleasure it is to read about your splendid stay in our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location, the décor and the service you received. We thank you for your 5-star review of our property and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had the good fortune to stay in the Intercontinental Montreal on a quick visit en-route back to Europe. It was my first experience of staying in an Intercontinental Hotel. It will not be my last. I was greeted at check-in by the marvellous Lisa, a true ambassador for the hotel. I upgraded my stay to a Club Room but as I was a little early for check-in I was assigned a magnificent corner room on the 13th floor. This hotel has everything one would expect of a true 5 star hotel. The service levels in all areas of the hotel are excellent. It's location is super, the décor is splendid but it is the staff that make this hotel work. I look forward to staying again when in Montreal.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Club Room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Naillic,
We are delighted to read about your recent stay in our hotel. Your comments are much appreciated and your kind words regarding our service, our décor and our location will be shared with our team.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel seems to be very understaffed. We booked a club room expecting club room services. Usually there is a seperate check in area but not this time. Also the position and facilities of the club room was a little dissapointing as was the breakfast and tea and coffee offerings???
The coffee machine was out of order for a while and no staff to be found to help.
Our room was excellent and the bed and linen gave us a very good nights sleep as is the standard of Intercontinental.
This hotel seemed to take multi tasking to the max with their staff who tried their best.
There was no one around and we had to manage our luggage down the escalators.
So not sure what is going on with this 5 star hotel .
Really a let down.

Room Tip: Choose a high room in the corner
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ChrisJTourist,
We thank you for your comments and we appreciate your valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear you felt our hotel was understaffed, we have taken your comments very seriously and will share them with the head of our Rooms Division. We certainly hope to have another chance to impress you.