“Stunning hotel.”

Ranked #34 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Kingston, Canada
“Stunning hotel.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently decided to take a last-minute mini-vacation to Montreal. The hotel is stunning on the inside and out and is in the perfect location. We walked to dinner, walked to Old Port to watch the fireworks and the view from our room was of a little park and a building that fascinated me (because who doesn't like colourful, flashy things?). The staff are friendly and will greet you in English as well as French--which is pretty standard in Montreal. However, what surprised me was that they weren't snooty and they don't act like they're better than you--something that I find all too common in Montreal.

My only complaint is that the housekeeping staff walked in and didn't knock or alert us of their presence until they were in the room. Being in our early 20's (and having a romantic afternoon by ourselves when we first arrived) my boyfriend and I found this more amusing than embarrassing.

Absolutely will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smaramer
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Smaramer,

We thank you for your four-star review of our property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to be stunning and that you appreciated the view of the Place Jean-Paul Riopelle and the Montreal Convention Center (the colorful building) from your guestroom. We sincerely apologize for the lack of privacy you suffered in your guestroom. Our standard requires our employees to knock on the door at all times before entering our guest’s rooms, even when the Do not disturb sign is not hanged. We will make sure to follow up on your comments with the Department head. On the other hand, your warm comments regarding the friendliness of our staff and their ability to greet you in French and English will certainly be shared with our team.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had a very nice stay at this hotel for a night in late November. I had visited the hotel previously before the renovation was done.

I had a very nice top floor suite and club access based on my Royal Ambassador status and appreciated both. Loved that they still used L'Occitane bathroom products in the suites. Not sure if they use these in standard rooms as well.

The club was lovely and much better than standard Club's in the North American InterContinental hotels. Didn't make it to the breakfast but had a few drinks during the evening happy hour and they had a nice selection of finger food.

Overall,very nice stay and will return again in 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LoyaltyLobby
Dear LoyaltyLobby,

We are absolutely thrilled to read your review and hear about your most recent stay with us. We are glad to know that you appreciate the wonderful suite and the magnificent city views it offers. Also, thank you for sharing your experience at the Club Lounge, your great comments regarding the food served to our guests will certainly be shared with our Chef and his team.

We certainly look forward to you next visit in the New Year.

Ottawa
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and quite enjoyed it. By the hotel lobby is a plaque indicating that it is a 5 star hotel. It is a solid 4 star that could use a little more attention. Our room overlooked the river and was quite spacious. It was also quite dark as there are only two lamps both of low wattage in the main area. On the beds there are two minuscule reading lamps that allow you to read in bed if you position yourself where they shine. The room and the bathroom seemed always to be dusty. The framed photograph in the bathroom was hung upside down! The mirror frames faux zebra wood frame was chipped and the lights beside it had created a stain on the ceiling above them and dust balls hung from those areas. One overhead light was burned out. We saw the housekeeper and given her height there is no way that she could clean the upper parts of the room, hence the dust on the ceiling and bathroom vents. The beds were very comfortable and the room was quite sound proof which was good as on one night the room next door was being used as a social room by convention guests. The hotel is handy to Old Montreal and, if you are fit, within easy walking distance of Saint Catherine Street, the main shopping area in downtown. All in all the hotel was a fine place to stay but with a series of picayune issues that drop it from its self advertised 5 star rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Droynick,

We thank you for reviewing our property following your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you appreciated our spacious and soundproof guestrooms with comfortable beds, offering stunning views of the city. On the other hand, we are sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues you encountered while staying with us and we want to sincerely apologize. Also, please note that your point regarding the darkness of the room is well taken and will be looked into by our Engineering department. Finally, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time in our beautiful city, as well as our great location.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This Intercontinental is pretty expensive but, in my opinion, the best reasonably priced hotel in Montreal. The staff is always friendly and speak English proficiently, which I appreciate, including, the concierge who helped my coworker and I find some great places to eat. There were plenty of local places to eat/go out within walking distance. The rooms are nice, pretty spacious with large bathrooms (and giant towels) - all the rooms I have stayed in, also have a nice view of downtown. The gym could use a TV but it meets requirements with a few cardio, machines and free weights, in addition to an indoor swimming pool... I will continue to stay there when I go up for work.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear QueenCityTravels,

We appreciate your kind review of our property and we are delighted to hear that you will continue to visit us in the future. Thank you for pointing out our staff’s friendliness, our great concierge service, our amazing location in the heart of the city, our spacious and comfortable guestrooms as well as the stunning views they offer. We also value your suggestion with regards to the televisions in the Health Club; this is certainly something we will keep in mind for future improvements.

We look forward to your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have just recently completed a stay at your hotel. I checked in on Tuesday Nov 20th with check out being Thurs Nov 22nd. My stay started out very well and my first nights stay was very uneventful and pleasant. On the evening of the November 21st I was getting ready to retire for the evening and was about to put my head on the pillow when I noticed a bug right next to me on the pillow, much to my dismay was a little “freaked out” to find something lingering on my bed.

I immediately called the front desk to explain my situation and a staff member arrived at my room promptly. He inquired as to my route of travel to Montreal and wondered how a bug could come in on my luggage in person. I explained to your staffer that I have zero bugs at my residence and flew into Montreal. I have to say I was a little uncomfortable with that line of questioning that seemed to insinuate that I was the source of the infestation.

I was ushered out of the room to a suite on another floor and I do appreciate that gesture.

The next morning I woke up and I went to check out. I explained my bug issue further to the person at the checkout counter and I was told again that the Intercontential does not have a bug problem and there was no offer of any type of compensation made nor was there really a heartfelt apology made.

I paid my bill and checked out and made my return to Toronto that evening. After being back in Toronto a few days I feel that the staff at the hotel should have been less accusatory of the source of the problem and a greater attempt should have been made to ensure my stay was up to the high standards that your Company provides.

I am unhappy with the level of service I received and request that you look into this matter. I am attaching a copy of the picture of the bug and my room details

Note: This email was sent to the email address listed on their site last week and I have had no response from them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Arpan S
Dear Arpan S,

We cannot apologize enough for the unfortunate situation that happened to you while staying at our property. We are really sorry you felt like your concerns were not seriously considered by the members of our team, but we can assure you it was not the case. We understand and empathize completely with your feelings and disappointment, and regret the way the information was communicated to you. After having upgraded you to a suite, our housekeeping service immediately mandated a professional firm to fully inspect your previous room, as we never take any chances. Therefore, we would like to reassure you and let you know that we received a report confirming that there was no infestation of any kind and that this was an isolated case. As you can well understand, such incidents may be very serious and our staff probably overreacted feeling that they had to solve this matter quickly. If, in their efforts, they made you feel like you were the cause of this situation, we profusely apologize and truly hope that you will give us another chance to prove what we are about.

St-Jérôme
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I choose this hotel because it was not far from the UFC Gala at the Bell Center, my son and I were very please by the cleanness of the property, the room was very comfortable and super clean, the only downside is there no restaurant around open late at night.

Valet parking is $32,00 but service is fast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Easyofff
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Very clean room, very convenient to the old city as well as the new downtown. We walked most everywhere. Better breakfast options would have been nice. The bed was hard and uncomfortable for my wife, which was our only real complaint. It connects to the St. James hotel, which has an incredible bar.

Stayed November 2012
2 Thank John S
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear John S,

We thank you for reviewing our property following your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you made the most of central location by walking and discovering Montreal by foot. Also, your suggestions regarding the breakfast will certainly be considered for future improvements.