“Nice hotel but uninspired service.”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #34 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Kingston, Canada
“Nice hotel but uninspired service.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Admittedly, we booked this hotel "on the cheap" through hotwire so I almost feel I don't qualify to give it an average rate...
Anyway, here's a quick summary. It certainly is an unusual set-up - self-park at $23 for 24h 9 floors below hotel with quite an expedition (2 elevators) back to lobby. It may have been worth putting down another 10$ to have valet parking and not make the trip.
There was a wait at the desk, no help with luggage, had to stand in line quite a while to find out about parking and then come back to check in. Check in was friendly but not very matter-of-fact.
Room was spacious, comfy and pleasantly decorated. Somehow we were spared the $20 for an "upgrade" to accommodate a family of four in 2 beds instead of just one (that's what I was told after booking).
Very disappointed with the pool having closed already at 6pm on a Sunday (but thanks for letting us know where it's at anyway - it wasn't pointed out at check in that it's closed already and we all got ready and marched on over...).
Comfy & cosy bar with prices that seem fair for a 5star hotel. Not a word of small-talk or the like though from staff. And it wasn't that busy.
Internet at 10$ for 2 hrs seemed pretty crazy though, nowadays this should be included especially at a hotel with this rating.
Breakfast seems outrageous if you're travelling with a family of four $25 per adult and kids at 50% off. $75 for breakfast? We instead had a small bite at the coffee shop on street level (that the staff never pointed out.
I had to practically beg for a late c/o (I know this is depending on availability etc) until 2pm even though my kids weren't well and desperately needed a nap while waiting for my husband to return from business.
Allover - a nice place - but certainly not catering to families. Looking good but the staff is not living up to my expectations of service in a 5star hotel. There was no "above&beyond" or even a single word too much here. Just average. So when looking at value for money I think we'll be back at Holiday Inns again and not InterContinentals.

Room Tip: If travelling with a family w/ young children, less seems to be more. Holiday Inn over InterContinen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Berlinchick72
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Berlinchick72,

Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent stay with us. We appreciate reading that you found our rooms spacious and pleasantly decorated. However, we do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the service. Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel that comments such as yours allow us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Korean first
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were in New England and decided to run up to Montreal for a night. We chose the IC because of our relationship with Holiday Inn properties. This was a great hotel with amenity. Very comfortable bed. Ask for a room overlooking the old city. There was a movie being filmed in view of our room. Excellent bellmen, valets and front desk. If you have never tried Absenthe, check out the bar. It is pretty good and the barmen make it fun to try.

Room Tip: Ask for view of old town.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DLemon
Dear DLemon,

We want to thank you for taking the time to review your last stay with us and we appreciate you choosing our hotel for your Montreal getaway. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spacious and comfortable guestroom, the amenities and the stunning city views. We will certainly share your comment, on their excellent service, with the bellmen, valets and front desk agents. Finally, we are thrilled to learn that you have experienced and liked the absinth ritual in our bar.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you again.

Ogdensburg, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great hotel, service was excellent and the hotel was super clean. The room we had was huge and it was one of the less expensive options compared to the rest. Our view wasn't the greatest but it's standard for a city hotel with surrounding highrise buildings. Easy walk to Old Montreal and to the Bell Centre. It's not right next door but it was an easy walk. Valet parking was easy to find and they had the car ready and waiting for us when it was time to go. Excellent stay! I would stay there again, I loved the fact we were centrally located between Old Montreal and the Bell Centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jedixtine
Dear Jedixtine,

We thank you for your 5-star review of our property. It is a great pleasure for us to read observations in regards to your recent experience with us and we thank you for sharing. We appreciate you pointing out the great service you received from the members of our team, the cleanliness of our hotel, as well as our wonderful location, in the heart of the city.

We look forward to seeing you again shortly.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Overall our stay was good. The hotel is nice and upscale. The rooms were clean and in good repair. My only complaint would be is the rooms are dark and the lighting is poor. Not very inviting imho. Location was good and the coffee shop in the bottom had good food and drinks.

• Stayed October 2012
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2012

they were embarrassed and moved me to a larger nicer room and gave me two passes thru the breakfast buffet. I was happy with the original room and they did not have to do that, but I appreciated it. This is a very nice hotel. The staff are very attentive and helpful. The service was top notch. The room was nice and the house staff kept the room clean. The TV's are new and flat screen - nice. I don't know the usual rates for this hotel, we pricelined it, but its a very nice hotel. I worked out in the gym this morning - lots of equipment - ellipticals, treadmills, cycles, universal gym type machines, benches, dumb bells. Nice pool, spa if you want too. Restaurant is very good, bar has great atmosphere and location is just off St. Catherine where all the shops are. Great central location for visiting the sites whether you take your rental or use the local transportation (bus subway).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank discip1e
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear guest,

We thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay with us. Your 5-star review is much appreciated by our team and your observations will certainly be shared. We are delighted to hear that our staff has been helpful and attentive in solving the issue you encountered upon your arrival in the room. We apologize again for this situation. On another note, we are thrilled that you made the most of our great location and enjoyed the nearby shopping and attractions. We are also very happy to hear that you appreciated our restaurant, gym and pool while staying with us.

We are looking forward to seeing you again in a near future.

New Hartford, New York, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I came here on business and requested an early check-in when I booked the hotel three months ago. I had committee meetings that started early and the conference is at another hotel. I was told that the request would be noted, but not guaranteed. When I arrived, the staff member indicated that there was no notation that I needed an early check-in. She further added that it cost $25 extra and that because the person I spoke with did not mention it that perhaps I am being less than honest. She mentioned that I could leave my luggage with the concierge, but that the hotel would not be responsible for my laptop or camera. So I left everything in my car - not a big deal. I am relatively easy going with travel (see my other tripadvisor reviews), but an apology would be nice and not being accused of lying. Another bee in my bonnet was that they are charging me for the wireless connection ($10/24 hours), because I purchased the reservation through a third party travel site. Usually I would not care, but they perceive themselves as a 5 star hotel. After the inconvenience and accusations generally a hotel would waive a $30 charge in lieu of the $700 I am already paying for the room and the money I might have spent in their hotel with incidentals. Now, I would rather walk down the street than give them an extra dollar and I will never stay in an Intercontinental Hotel. If they are this cheap in general, how else are they prying money out of customers.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel if you want a view. It is in a congested neighborhood.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We thank you for taking your valuable time to share your thoughts and comments about your recent stay with us. We are really sorry if you were not properly greeted and welcomed by our team members. The description of the service you received certainly does not live up to our standards and we truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. As for your comments regarding the extra charge for the Internet connection, they will be seriously considered by our team, as we are always looking for new ideas to please our customers.

Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Access to the hotel is a little unusual with the front entrance leading to a vestibule then via an escalator to the lobby and the rear entrance to a corridor across a mall via an elevated pedestrian walkway then to the lobby and the lobby itself is not particularly well arranged or welcoming. Checking in and out was very efficient all details of our room were prepared in advance and the bill when presented was correct.

Access to the bar, restaurant and elevators is, very conveniently, directly off the lobby.

The room was very well furnished, the bed extremely comfortable, housekeeping was performed regularly and well and we had no problems to speak of in any way.

There is a fairly accommodating bar, although seating is not very comfortable, with a reasonably intimate atmosphere and quite an adequate menu for snacks and light meals. We did not eat in the restaurant, however, it appeared to be quite pleasant in both decor and atmosphere. There is a cafe/coffee shop adjacent to the front entrance which is excellent for light breakfast which we chose instead of the extensive hotel buffet which appeared to be very good if that is what you prefer for breakfast.

The hotel is well located a few blocks from the main train station and within a reasonable walking distance to all the main attractions of the old town and the new city

This is a pleasant hotel, well located and we would quite happily stay in it again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter P
Dear guest,

We thank you for your comments as well as your kind review of our property. We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience at our front desk and that you found your room to be comfortable and well furnished. We appreciate you pointing out the accessibility of our bar and restaurant, as well as the great atmosphere and intimacy they offer. Moreover, we are glad to know that you enjoyed our great location, at the gateway of downtown and Old Montreal.

We look forward to having you back.