“Nice hotel, good hotel, just a little overpriced on my budget”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #38 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I were waiting for last min specials for a flight with Continental, so we booked this hotel last min. We won this hotel via Priceline w/a bid of $225 usd, w/ taxes (Canadian taxes are 13%)it came out to be $270 usd. We stayed over the Canada/Fourth of July & Jazz festival weekend. When we arrived at the hotel we tried to check in at 12:30pm, they said the hotel was too full and to come back in two hours. We did and still were rejected from checking in at 3pm, yet our paperwork said 3pm check in. Finally at 4pm they let us check in.

The room was located on 19 floor facing the river with nice views. The room was spotless and bed was a king so comfortable. The room had high ceilings and was very spacious with a desk, and ottoman. The bathroom was also spotless and huge with both a shower and bathtub. The hotel offers the guests a rob as well.We also liked the keurig coffee maker.

The indoor pool was very nice located on the 10 floor, within the gym. The pool also has a roof top deck in which it has lounge chairs facing the convention center.

The hotel is located across the street from the convention center and three blocks from Norte Dame. They offer self parking on the 9 floor which costs $22 cad a day. Around the block of the hotel during the weekend if you are lucky you can find street parking.
I would def stay at this hotel again, but only if I got a better deal. I read someone who booked the same hotel via priceline won at $110, but they booked early.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My review is mixed. I loved the physical layout and location; was put off by the cold, unwelcoming, aloof manner of the staff as well as the exorbitant prices. I stayed at this hotel for three days in early July to attend the Montreal Jazz Festival. The hotel has an excellent location between Old Montreal and Downtown. My room was large and well appointed. The hotel facilities were clean and orderly. The overall design aesthetic of the hotel reflected a clean classic modernism that I liked.

However, even though I was pleased with the location, hotel style, and room, I was somewhat amazed at the sense of sterility that was made more pronounced by the near-total detachment of the hotel staff. Let me be clear, the staff were were not rude, but were clearly not welcoming and warm. Throughout my stay, I had many opportunities to pass by maids, doormen, valets, servers, and never once was I greeted with a "hello/ or bonjour"....or asked how am I enjoying my stay... as incredible as it sounds even when I checked out, the front desk clerk didn't even say am obligatory "I hope you enjoyed your stay". To accentuate this glacial chill from the staff, as I was leaving, the doorman was reading a paper and never inquired if I needed a taxi hailed to take me to the airport. Incredible, but true.

Other Cons of this hotel are as follows:

1) No dedicated business center ( you must use an antiquated computer with a tiny 10 inch display on the conceriege's office.
2) No free wi-fi (expect to pay 10.00 extra per day) free wifi is a standard in most upscale hotels (no to mention mcdonalds and and Starbucks )
3) Somewhat exhorbitant pricing border on gouging, for example: 2 phone calls totaling less than 3 minutes to Toronto cost me over $23; Half liters of water will cost you 7.00. I left an ipad charger in one room by mistake and phoned the hotel if they could retrieve it and mail it to me. They found the charger and said they would mail it to me for $67.00. Unbelievable.

So, if you don't mind the chill of indifference, nor being nickel and dimmed at every turn, then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank artbrutnewyork
ICMMONTREAL, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the location and our well appointed rooms, however, we are truly sorry hear that you found the employees not welcoming and warm, for this we sincerely apologize. Employee awareness of guest needs is our constant message to our staff, as we strive to maintain the highest levels of service

Rest assured that this feedback provided us with measures to review our procedures and ensure an improved quality of service.

We sincerely regret to learn that you found the long distance calls and internet fees imposing, as we propose upon check-in a unique I-Connect package which is most advantageous and popular with our guests.

Once again, thank you for your comments and do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the luxury stay that we are known for.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is a well located luxury type hotel in Montreal. It's proximity to Metro and Old Town made it a good choice for our recent trip. I would not stay here again, based on troubles at check in.

We reserved, quite a long while back, a room with two beds that was described as with "View". We got to the front desk and waited thirty (yes, 30) minutes to get to the clerk. There was a line of about six people in front of us and two clerks at the front desk. The guests were clearly frustrated, as were the clerks. I am not sure what was going on, but it was a rather stressful scene.

Finally we took our turn with an agent, and finally were given keys to our room. When we entered the room, we were surprised to see one bed. And no view. This was not the room I reserved. We were not in a position to sleep in the same bed so this would not work.

We went back down to the front desk, had to wait in line again (20 minutes this time) and both of the clerks were on walkie talkie devices and seemed very agitated. This time we got another clerk (should have gotten name). We informed her we went to our room, and were given the wrong room type. I asked to be moved to the correct room. She sighed and went back to the back office, came back out and then told us it may be "as late as 8 oclock before it's ready if you want to be moved..you need to go get your luggage, check it at bell stand and come back later, as that room type was not ready yet". She was very curt and cold in her tone. After doing what she said, we thought to ourselves that the professional thing for her to have done was to APOLOGIZE for their mixup in giving me the wrong room and then SENT STAFF up to the room to get the luggage and hold it for us. It was not right for me to have had to go get my own luggage in a self described "FIVE STAR" hotel and take it down to the basement once again to the bellstand.

The room was comfortable once we finally got to it. The accommodations were satisfactory. The service WAS NOT.

Should have stayed at the newer Westin across the street. People and service can make all the difference in the world.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank atlfuzzy
ICMMONTREAL, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at our hotel.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the wait experienced in order to process your check in upon your arrival and for the treatment you received from our Front Desk Clerk when you returned the second time. We sincerely regret that the location of your room did not live-up to your expectations. Although we try our best to ensure that your room assignment is in concordance with the preferences you requested, this is not always possible due to unexpected extension of other guest stays or a very high demand for the same type of room.
We did in fact have two new employees still in training at the Front Desk, however this is no excuse for the way you were treated. You may rest assured that this feedback enabled us to review procedures in the effort to avoid a reoccurrence.

Although nothing we can say will change what has happened, I can assure you that the incidents you experienced are not in keeping with the usual high standards of service excellence which we try to constantly maintain. We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the true hospitality we are known for.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

This hotel is quite horrible. I arrived here after a long drive. I even called the property one hour before my arrival to confirm my selected room was ready. At arrival I was " upgraded " the clerk told me from the double with view I paid for to a king with no view. This was actally not an upgrade at all particularly when 2 beds were needed and they charge more to reserve a room with a view. Real nice! It took 45 minutes to get a correct room. It took another half hour to get our luggage and 2 trips to the lobby to find it. I told the manager Alex I was upset and he said I should have called rather than come down. To make up for the confusion, he offerred me half off hotel dinner. When I expressed no interest he told me I could not be satisfied. I am glad this Intercontinental trains management to blame the customer for hotel errors. We wound up eating dinner at the hotel because the front desk delay ran so late everywhere else was closed. Half off ran about equal to full price for comparable quality outside the hotel. The next day I asked the concierge for a restaurant suggestion in chinatown. He gave me a name and said they do not take reservations. We got there and waited while other people who had rservations were seated. The problems at this property start from the top. The management is arrogant and their replies to other people on here seem to reflect it. Next time, I will go with one of the better rated hotels and hopefully avoid the bad service and attitude.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank NYCandworld
ICMMONTREAL, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to write your comments in regards to your stay at our hotel.

Please accept our most profuse apologies for the discourteous service you experienced. No explanation offered would be acceptable to explain this breach of basic common courtesy. Please rest assured that this one isolated incident is not reflective of the usual welcome and service our guests find at our hotel. We will review standards and procedures with the employees in question, to ensure that this does not reoccur.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the luxury stay that our hotel is known for.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

The InterContinental Montreal was so luxurious! The rooms were beautifully decorated. They were very spacious and had so many amenities. The bed was so comfortable. The bathroom had a separate bathtub and shower. The bathrooms were very spacious. The bathroom had a tv speaker in it. The elevators were very fast and the ice machines were centrally located on each floor. The staff at the hotel was very prompt and courteous. The hotel was in an ideal location. Two blocks from the Notre Dame Basilica and close to the old part of Montreal. This was such a lovely hotel. I can not imagine anyone being disappointed with this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diane32724
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Good business hotel. Close to the Old Town and comfortable walk to cbd. On the metro.
The corner room was spacious and very good value for a long stay. The Club lounge was above average for this standard of hotel and worth the additional cost. The only negative experience was the laundry service, don’t trust it to wash sensitive fabrics.
Excellent local BYO French bistro ,a cab fare away at Le P'tit Plateau

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PFoggSydney
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was staying there with a friend in from Calgary, he wanted a nice room, we got the booking through a discount website. 4 1/2 stars for a really good rate. The minibar was well stocked, the bed was amazing & comfortable, the downtown view was on an angle, but it was still stunning. The parking is a bit tricky as hotel guest parking is level 9 to 12, you read correctly, level 9, which is about 4 or 5 stories underground... anyway, I felt as if I was close to the center of the earth is was so hot in that garage :-)
All in all, very nice hotel, recommend for couples or friends, not really a family oriented hotel.

Room Tip: book on-line through discount sites, better price!