“Not too bad”
Review of HI Montreal Hostel

HI Montreal Hostel
Reviewed April 27, 2010

So HI Montreal.
Well to start with they booked the wrong dates and charged my card a fee for a no show 3 months early! The location of the hostel is its main benefit - its smack bang in the heart of town - with a Car rental place just across the street. They offered many services and trips out, so we decided to them up on it for a bar cawl in the student area. The guy who took us on this trip was a complete clown! Not only was the bar district about 6 stops away on teh train, but he spet most of the night trying to hook up with all the girls on the trip! ormally I wouldn't have a problem with it - but he took us to some really dead places - the first bar we were the only ones there and the second was not much better! Anyhow I took charge i the end and the 5 lads we were with decided to blow it off and headed into town ourselves. May I say we had an awesome time in town - a night to remember - it really is a clasic party city.
The rooms i the hotel were ok, and when we left a day early they actually did refund our other nights stay which was good of them.
The bar area below the hostel also wasnt that bad and the kitchen area was nice also! We did also hae a problem with parking as one side of the road is ticketed and the other is free! Make sure you know your french :-)
Would I stay there again - yes for the location! and only the location....

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 15, 2010

My friend and I visited Montreal for spring break and staying in a private room in the this hostel. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. My only complaint about the room was that the mattresses weren't very comfortable but overall it was a good experience. I went on the pub crawl that the hostel sponsored and had a blast. It's a great place to meet fellow travelers, especially if you aren't from there area. I would definitely stay there again or recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I loved this hostel! I stayed in a room with 3 other women, all friendly. While the bathroom wasn't really the nicest or cleanest, the rooms were great considering the price. The location was excellent, though you must be prepared to walk more than a few blocks, particularly if you are planning to stay here during the Montreal Jazz Festival. The breakfast available for purchase was okay, but I would go elsewhere. My croissant was moldy...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed at Hostelling International Montreal in November 2009. The staff is extremely friendly, and the hostel itself offers lots of useful amenities (pay phones, laundry, larger lockers to rent, and internet access at $3CAN/hour). The dorm rooms themselves are tiny with bunk beds, but they offer the basics: in-room lockers, a place to shower and a place to sleep. What more do you really need? When I travel, it’s not so I can hang out in a hotel room. I wake up early, hit the streets, stay out until late, shower, go to sleep. Rinse. Repeat.

HI-Montreal provided all of travel’s most basic necessities, and provided an excellent home base for all of my activities in Montreal. Although I didn’t participate in any of their planned activities, they offered bike tours, tix for Montreal Canadiens (ice hockey) games, poutine tastings, and their famous pub crawl. Centrally located (the Lucien L’Allier metro station is about a block away) and close to shopping (rue St. Catherine is about a couple of blocks away), this auberge was definitely everything I was looking for.

If you’re on a budget, and looking for a place to call home base when you travel to Montreal, this facility is definitely the way to go!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SingleOccupancyBlog
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here for a few days a few years ago. On our recent second trip to Quebec we stayed here again while in Montreal. The hostel is central enough and close to a metro stop which can be connected with two buses to the airport if you want to save $$. You can walk from the hostel to most of the sights in town or take a metro or bus. Lots of restaurants within easy walking disance as well as shopping for those who cannot resist that temptation. We had a private room with private bath. We wanted a private room with bath on the floor in order to save a few dollars but they do not exist. The room was clean with a decent enough small hostel bath plus tv with both English and French stations. The kitchen was good and some food plus drinks in the lower level bar area. The staff was a grand group and we talked with a hand full of them with our questions. They were all knowledgable and friendly. There was no breakfast provided so eat out, buy and do your own, or order from the items offered at the hostel. As to the price this seems like a spendy hostel but the one in Quebec City is similarly priced (in QC breakfast is included but no tv). There are other hostels in Montreal though so look around and maybe you can save a few dollars or stay in a dorm room. We had a room on first floor and it was definitely noisier than those upstairs just from folks coming and going all the time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Nice beds and private bathroom. Quiet place, frindly staff. Lockers must be paid.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The hostel was amazing! The people working there were super friendly, there were cool people from around the world to meet and talk with. The hostel is super close to St. Catherine's street (lots of great shopping!) and a 5 minute walk to the Bell Centre (lots of great concerts, we saw No Doubt while we were there!)

The bar tour was awesome and you can catch the Airporter bus to and from for only $26 round trip. Will be staying there again.

We stayed in a private room with a private bathroom. The room and beds were clean, tv with cable provided (mostly english channels as well!) wish there was a fridge in the room, but there is one downstairs in the pub/kitchen area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends