“Hidden Fees”

HI Montreal Hostel
Lyndonville, Vermont
“Hidden Fees”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Don't get me wrong the hostel was great! Great location and very clean. I had booked it online and had one price given to me, then when i got there they tacked on another non member fee that I was not made aware of until I got there. I ended up paying around $30 for just me for the night. The extra fee was around ten dollars and I was in a small group. We probably could have stayed at a decent hotel for the price our group spent on this hostel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Bonjour Louis D,

I thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback online. I am very happy that you had a great time with us and that we were up to the challenge. We love our job, so I guess it's easy the offer the very best we can! Concerning the membership fees, I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Hostelling International (HI) is a member based, non for profit organization. Non members need to add a surcharge to the stay, and all guests should be fully aware of what they should expect. We obviously failed with informing you properly and I will investigate on how to avoid any similar situation in the future.

Bon Voyage, Au Revoir,
Nicolas Lemaire, hostel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friend and I shared a twin room with a private bath. We started out with a room on the third floor but requested to be moved to the ground floor, so my friend wouldn't have to climb the stairs. Both rooms were very nice, but the one on the ground floor was a different shape, and there was more space between the beds. Although the rooms and bathrooms were not fancy, they were clean and met our needs. The staff was friendly and helpful. You can buy a good breakfast in the morning or sandwiches after 5:30 pm in the basement common room. We chose this hostel because it is close to two different metro lines, buses, and not far from the main tourist office.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Bonjour!

Merci beaucoup for that great review! I'm really happy you liked your stay with us and it's even nicer to know that the staff was part of it!

Thanks a lot and see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed in this hostel for 3 nights. Reception staff were really polite and very helpful. The place is clean and quiet. Breakfast was nice. I really enjoyed the karaoke night! Close enough to the Latin quarter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your nice comment!

Hope to see you again ;)

Toulouse, France
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It is the first HI I try and it was a good experience.
The people are nice and have all the answers for you to have a beatifull stay in Montreal.
Plus some activites are organized during the week!
There is a large living room with a bar and the beds are long enough for me :) -> 2 meters
A little invonvenient is the locker in the room that is all made of steel and is thus very noisy.
I will go on with HI for the rest of my journey in Canada.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hey!

I'm glad you've liked your stay with us and that you enjoyed the activities, bars, etc...! Have a nice trip around Canada, you'll see it's a great country! But I'm buyist on this one ;)

Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hostel is a nice place to stay in Montreal, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms and washrooms are clean and it is located within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions.

A minor point of criticism would be that the hostel states "breakfast included" in its description, which, however, only means that a bowl of pancake dough is provided, and that you have to make your own pancakes. If you would like to have a "real" breakfast, you have to pay 8 CAN-$.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bonjour David!

Thank you for taking the time to write us a good review. Concerning, the breakfast issue, we are really concern by the guest opinion and from october 1st, a real complete breakfast will be offered with the night!

Thanks again and hope to see you again!

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not only does this hostel boast a great location downtown (and very close to Bell Centre for a concert I attended), the staff were always polite, friendly, and helpful when it came to asking for directions and recommending sites and walks. There is a bar downstairs open at night until midnight, and it was always a treat to unwind there after a day of exploring downtown Montreal. (Servers also proved excellent DJs as their choice in background music mirrored my own tastes.)

If you're hoping to save a little bit of money, and willing to mingle and share a beer or two with spirited and friendly people around the world--both staff and guests alike--then I highly recommend this place! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bonjour Robin!

Thank you for those words! I'll definitly let the bar staff that you enjoyed their musical taste! :)

Take good care!

Troy, New York, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I took a trip with a large group of friends and a hostel was the cheapest way to go.

This hostel was very nice. Great people at the check in desk. The room was clean, safe and secure. There were people we didn't know in the room but it was nice to make new friends. The shared shower/bathroom situation left something to be desired but the facilities were clean and as always you get what you pay for.

Give it a try!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Bonjour Nikki!

Many thanks for taking your time to write us a good review! So happy to hear that your first hostel experience was great and that you and your friends enjoyed it!

See you again maybe!