HI Montreal Hostel
$109
Travelocity
$350
  • Pool
All reviewsbed dormfree breakfastown bathroommetro stationbagelslarge kitchenawesome stayplace to sleepboiled eggsclose to downtownbell centreminute walkenjoyed my staywi fihockey gamelocation is greatroommates
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in four bed dorm. Easy walking distance to major attractions and close to many good restaurants and nightlife. Little on noisy side so you may want to bring earplugs. Private bathroom in room always a plus and security guard on women's dorm. Skip the bar/cafe better good less than 100m down the street. I particularly liked the Lebanese restaurant and grumpys bar.

• Stayed: May 2013
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Bonjour Maggie D,

I am happy to read that you had a good time while staying with us! If I may, I would add that despite the kind advice you mentioned, no one should need earplugs to enjoy their night of sleep and we will make sure to be more vigilant to ensure a quiet stay for all.

Greetings, Au Revoir et Bon Voyage!
Nicolas Lemaire, hostel manager

Reviewed May 24, 2013

stayed for 2 nights this month, very clean, great staff, good facilities. Had dinner one evening in the café.. pretty bad and not cheap. had breakfast the next morning, should have learned from the night before...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Bonjour Alan,

Firstly, thanks for your comment as it is a great tool for us to get the pulse of the hostel from a guest point of view! I'll pass you kind words to all staff and as for the Café issue you raised, I'll definitely investigate to know what could have happened since the guests are normally pretty happy with it... The good news is that we will make sure to correct whatever went wrong and I'm sure you will be fully pleased next time you come and visit!!

Bon Voyage,
Nicolas Lemaire, Hostel manager

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Considering location and services provided, it's a great deal. The staff there is very friendly and the hostel has this weekly program that is great (walking tours, pub crawl, etc).
Definitely will go back there if I'm around.

• Stayed: May 2013
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Obrigado!!!

Always good to read positive comments like this one! And yeah, we'll see you if you come back! Take good care!

Gabriel

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Really neat and clean dorms with ensuite washroom and bathroom. Staff are superbly friendly, helpful and very willing to answer questions. Staff has good knowledge of montreal and great food recommendations for foodies like me. Near shopping areas and restaurants, walkable distance from via rail. Really enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Hey! Many thanks for this great review! Let's be honest, I think a lot of the staff could be consider «foodies» too! We love to eat in good little local restaurants. So glad you enjoyed your stay!
Take care and see you again maybe!
-Gabriel

Reviewed March 9, 2013

When I look for a hostel to stay in, the main things I'm concerned about are cleanliness and security. After that comes location, and I was very pleased to find this hostel delivered all three. The rooms were clean, with a private bathroom and shower (always a bonus!). There were two of us who reserved a four-bed female dorm, and with the exception of the first night, we had the room entirely to ourselves. The hostel had a bar on the bottom floor and while we only checked it out the first night, it was nice to have the option. I had my car with us and initially the front desk had warned us about parking. We didn't seem to have a problem finding spots outside, although the residential permit thing can get pretty confusing for those who don't speak French. We stayed here in March, so I would imagine parking would be a lot worse in summer, when tourism is bigger. If I were to have any complaints, that would be the only one- parking. Everything else was great. One front desk worker- I didn't catch his name- took the time to grab a map and circle/highlight areas that we should check out in Mont-Royal, and that was much appreciated. If you're traveling on a budget, this hostel is a great option. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat on my next trip to Montreal. Unless of course, I happen to strike it rich in the mean time and can afford a fancy hotel :)

Room Tip: Shelling out the few extra bucks for a private or even 4-bed room is totally worth it, in my opinion. Our first night, we were stuck with two morons who came in drunk at 5 a.m., yelled when they saw us asleep, turned on the lights and left the room for an hour. Then, of course, they locked themselves out. I've stayed in enough hostels to know that this is totally normal, so I'm not complaining. If you can get a private room, though, you can probably get a way better night's sleep and then wake up early in the morning to check out the wonderful city!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Bonjour Becca!

I'm not too sure what's the best way to answer your review other than: MERCI BEAUCOUP!!!

It's always a pleasure to read such good words about us. So glad you liked it here!

By the way, even if you get super-mega-rich, notice that chances of findind such a cosy mood in a fancy hotel won't be that high ;)

Take good care, hope to see you again!

-Gabriel