“Ok hostel, worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of HI Montreal Hostel

HI Montreal Hostel
Helsinki, Finland
“Ok hostel, worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed here just one night. No complaints on the hostel itself. Hostel is rather large, so expect some noize and buzz around the common area. And don't expect anything from the "breakfast", at least in my occasion, the coffee and oatmeal was missing. However, you can pay 7 dollars for a good breakfast from the "restaurant" side of the common area. Not far from the city centre, which is a big help when staying for a short time in Montreal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you Ramcees for taking the time to write a review!

Wish you would of spend more than a night at the hostel so that you could enjoy a little longer Montréal...! But oh well, enjoy the rest of your trip!

I'll let Philippe (the cook at the restaurant) that you liked the good breskfast!

Take good care!

-gabriel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have stayed at several hostels across Canada and this one seems to be the most social even for an English speaking person like myself. The air conditioned rooms are great and the staff is very eager to help.

• Stayed May 2012
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Many thanx for this great comment!

We always keep on improving our service and Montréal experience!

Hope to see you again :)

Gabriel
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night to catch a flight the next day. The staff was friendly and the room was okay, clean but a bit dingy. The hostel was a few blocks from bars and restaurants and close to downtown. However trying to sleep was impossible, other guests were coming and going and yelling at all hours of the night. Honestly, every hour we woke up to someone singing, slamming a door or yelling. Even at 3 am staff never even bothered to control the noise. If your wasted the entire time I'm sure you'd have an okay time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Hi Lira!

My name is Gabriel. First of all, thank you for your review on the hostel! It's the best way for us to keep on improving our services.

I have to admit that regarding the noise in the rooms, even though it can be sometimes a little complicated to control each and everyone that is sleeping in the shared rooms, I wanted to apologize for that problem... Anyhow, i'd like to give you my word that we will investigate on what happened and make sure to avoid this problem in the futur.

I wish you had a good time in Montréal anyways... which is generally the case for our fellow travellers!

Au revoir!
-Gabriel
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed for a week in a private room. The room was nice and big, with a large bathroom attached. The staff are friendly and helpful. They organise regular activities which are fun. The only negative was the central airconditioning was noisy but they said they are working on replacing it.

Room Tip: The basement private rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

stayed in a 10 person dorm in montreal. each dorm comes with their own restroom which you really learn to appreciate so that was nice. however, no breakfast was included in the price and expectations had been set by other HI hostels.

in terms of location, it was right next to a metro line which is great, but personally if i were to visit montreal again i would try to location myself along saint denis street as it seemed to have the best vibe for dinner/ drinks. from HI this was about a 30-40minute walk so not exactly something you'd want to do late at night.

however, the hostel is close to the cresent which seems to attract a lot of club goers only on the weekends which is nice as it's only 5minute walk away so thats convenient.

the rooms though were very clean and the staff very friendly, had no issue with that so would recommend for those reasons.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Hey! Many thanks for your comment! I'll definitly let the staff that you liked them! I have to admit that in term of location, there is little we can do to move the building to latin quarter ;) Anyhow, as you just wrote, a lot of people like the fact that it is really close to crescent and ste-catherine streets. Relating to the breakfast, there was everything for you to cook free pancake + coffee, so maybe you were not told about it. I'm sorry if it's the case :s

Anyhow, thanks again for you're words and I hope you'll have a good time where else you'll travel!

-gab
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Good location, friendly staff, especially on the front desk. The room was quite big for a 4 bed dorm and a huge plus for the en suite bathroom. Loved the breakfast area. Would recommend!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Auberge H, Public Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you Caroline! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here!
We also love to hear honest feedback from our visitors.
Hope to see you again.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed in this hostel last night. All I can say is that it fulfilled all my needs, I had a bed where to pass out, there was a washroom I could use. It had a small shelf where I could put my eye shadow makeup in the washroom, a decent size shower I didn't use it tho because I only stayed one night...didn't have time and showered home :P
Besides that, it was a clean place with good location. It is like 3 blocks away from St.Catherine's...me and my friend just walk along all st.Catherine. To go to the club muzique we had to take a cab but we could have taken the metro...walking distance to Muzique was too long for us specially wearing heels. People that stay at the hostel are pretty nice and friendly.
I stayed in a four bedroom all female and honestly the small table in our room was enough for 2 ppl...another girl stayed but we filled out that table with out stuff...so they should increase the size of the table. The room is a bit crowded but again...if you are looking to party, meet ppl from other countries and just have a place to pass out...I think it is a good place
I would recommend it. It was a nice stay for us.
We were not looking for comfort. Personally, we were looking for a bedroom to have more privacy the ones that are 6 or more...there can be a lot of strangers coming into your room...and have no privacy to change plus the use of the washroom could be hectic.

I would recommend this hostel for a 4 bedroom but also I would recommend to check out Montreal Central Hostel, located behind the bus station

I did not like the fact I had to carry my things thru stairs at the metro...it would have been handy for a hostel that is walking distance from the bus station. Besides that, the place did not include breakfast...but wasnt a big deal for us.
Perhaps it could have been cheaper...it cost 41 bucks non member

I liked the fact it had lockers so after we checked out we were able to leave our stuff in a safe place...again very easy to get to the stores, pharmacy,restaurants, pubs etc...it is all in St.Catherine...2 blocks away or so.

Compare between this one and Montreal centrale Hostel...and make up your mind :)
Both hostels are relatively close to each other but I think it depends what you want to do
I personally did not stay in the Montreal Hostel, my friend did and I went to visit her...and it is very similar to this one...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Hi Angelica! I'm glad to see that overall, you enjoyed your stay in our place!

We always work on giving the best experience of MTL to the hosts, so if yours was good, then it's nice to know this :)!

About the stairs in métro, unfortunalty there's not much we can do about it, but hopefully one day there's going to be an elevator...

If you want to come back in summer, your definitly welcome to! (maybe you'll have the chance to use the shower ;-p ...)

Take good care!