“Brilliant!”
Review of HI Montreal Hostel

HI Montreal Hostel
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Good location, friendly staff, especially on the front desk. The room was quite big for a 4 bed dorm and a huge plus for the en suite bathroom. Loved the breakfast area. Would recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Auberge H, Public Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you Caroline! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here!
We also love to hear honest feedback from our visitors.
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed in this hostel last night. All I can say is that it fulfilled all my needs, I had a bed where to pass out, there was a washroom I could use. It had a small shelf where I could put my eye shadow makeup in the washroom, a decent size shower I didn't use it tho because I only stayed one night...didn't have time and showered home :P
Besides that, it was a clean place with good location. It is like 3 blocks away from St.Catherine's...me and my friend just walk along all st.Catherine. To go to the club muzique we had to take a cab but we could have taken the metro...walking distance to Muzique was too long for us specially wearing heels. People that stay at the hostel are pretty nice and friendly.
I stayed in a four bedroom all female and honestly the small table in our room was enough for 2 ppl...another girl stayed but we filled out that table with out stuff...so they should increase the size of the table. The room is a bit crowded but again...if you are looking to party, meet ppl from other countries and just have a place to pass out...I think it is a good place
I would recommend it. It was a nice stay for us.
We were not looking for comfort. Personally, we were looking for a bedroom to have more privacy the ones that are 6 or more...there can be a lot of strangers coming into your room...and have no privacy to change plus the use of the washroom could be hectic.

I would recommend this hostel for a 4 bedroom but also I would recommend to check out Montreal Central Hostel, located behind the bus station

I did not like the fact I had to carry my things thru stairs at the metro...it would have been handy for a hostel that is walking distance from the bus station. Besides that, the place did not include breakfast...but wasnt a big deal for us.
Perhaps it could have been cheaper...it cost 41 bucks non member

I liked the fact it had lockers so after we checked out we were able to leave our stuff in a safe place...again very easy to get to the stores, pharmacy,restaurants, pubs etc...it is all in St.Catherine...2 blocks away or so.

Compare between this one and Montreal centrale Hostel...and make up your mind :)
Both hostels are relatively close to each other but I think it depends what you want to do
I personally did not stay in the Montreal Hostel, my friend did and I went to visit her...and it is very similar to this one...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Hi Angelica! I'm glad to see that overall, you enjoyed your stay in our place!

We always work on giving the best experience of MTL to the hosts, so if yours was good, then it's nice to know this :)!

About the stairs in métro, unfortunalty there's not much we can do about it, but hopefully one day there's going to be an elevator...

If you want to come back in summer, your definitly welcome to! (maybe you'll have the chance to use the shower ;-p ...)

Take good care!
gabriel

Reviewed February 24, 2012

First Montreal experience was awesome! The staff at the hostel were very fast at getting us checked in after 6 hours on the bus, their english and french was impeccable and knowledge of the sites and surroundings aswell as little things like supermarkets and trains helped us enjoy the trip with far less hassle! rooms were great, well heated, other guests werent too loud, and its located in a great area. besides our toilet continually filling up and my girlfreind and i dealing with 2 single beds put together :P it was mad fun and am looking forward to going back! The pace of the city and people are easy to deal with, and snowing on our last day made it a trip to remember. so much stuff to do in Montreal! :D

Room Tip: one on the lower floors for better wifi signal and close to the fridge:P
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Hi Christian!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and want to come back again! I'll let the staff know that you like the job they did - everyone give their best and it's motivating to ear positive comments about it :)))

Hope to see you again! Maybe in summer?

Take good care!
Gabriel

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Our first impressions of this hostel weren't great, but they pulled it out of the bag and we had a great time.

We stayed in a private room with en suite. We were expecting a double but it was two twin beds, the breakfast suggestion was to see what was on the free food shelf and there was no hot water due to a fault they were trying to get fixed (but it was just after New Year and they couldn't get a plumber out). We had heard that the hostel had ice hockey tickets available and enquired about them only to be told the game was the day we were leaving. These were the bad experience...it got so much better!

There was a walking/eating tour around some of the less touristy neighbourhoods with one of the reception staff – it was fantastic and we definitely saw and learned some things we wouldn't have done otherwise. On the tour we mentioned our disappointment about the ice hockey tickets and were told that the game was the day before we were leaving and we should ask again... We rushed back to the hostel and managed to grab the last two tickets, and a deal that gave us 2 breakfasts, a hot dog and a beer each, for only $80 each!

On return we also discovered the hot water was back (so only one night without).

The bar was great, reasonable prices and good food and beer. The breakfast we got with our tickets was tasty but quite expensive for a cold breakfast – though probably worth it if you have everything on the list and save some for your lunch!

Overall we had a great stay at this hostel and would definitely return, the initial problems were all smoothed away by the walking tour, the tickets and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSud
Auberge H, Guest Relations Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Bonjour KSud!

Great to ear (read) your opinion about us! I have to admit that the plumbing problem right after new year was quite a headache... Not easy easy finding plumbers at the time of the year! Anyhow, I'm glad your overall stay was enjoyable and that you like the walking tour we offer. (If your back in summer time, make sure to try the bike tours!).

Thx again and hope we'll meet again!
Gabriel

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I arrived on the 1st of January with two friends and immediately our impressions took a bad turn. No hot water throughout the hostel and the staff didn't know when the problem would be fixed. When we left on the 3rd, the problem was still not fixed. To make matters worse, our dorm room was so tiny that one person would barely have enough room, never mind three. To close the bathroom door, we had to twist ourselves against the shower and the toilet. The sink was in the room because the bathroom was too tiny to accomodate it. Not ideal if you are tring to avoid waking up everyone else. The so called bar crawl was depressingly tame and lacking in atmosphere. One of the bars we were supposed to go to was closed, so in the end we only visited two bars. On a positive note, the hostel was relatively clean and is close enough to Downtown Montreal. It is also not far from the subway line.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Auberge H, Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Bonjour Steven,

You could see that this message is very similar to my answer to the comments left before yours... Both are pretty much pointing at the same issues.. Again, I apologize for all the hassle… The water tank break on January 1st, was surely unexpected and pretty much all the city plumbers seemed to be hiding somewhere far far away... I understand it was not the best situation for the guests despite all what we tried to bypass the problem... Now the good news is that it is all fixed for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 strong males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements,

Nicolas , Manager HI-Montréal

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Unfortunately my experience at this hostel was less than satisfactory. I was told that this was a very good hostel to stay at and from the moment we checked in we were dissapointed. My friends and I were told that there was no hot water and there was nothing that could be done. Over the next two days that we used the bathroom, we didn't have any hot water and the staff seemed reluctant to update the guests on this situation. In these cases compensation must be delivered to guests of the hostel. How can you not have hot water in Montreal in winter? Unacceptable.

The other gripes we had were with the size of the room and the size of the bathroom. The four bedroom dorm that we were in was barely big enough for the three of us and the bathroom was so small that one barely fit inside. Very uncomfortable!

Also HI-Montreal, learn what a pub crawl is all about! Going to three places for a couple of hours is not a pub crawl! Worst pub crawl ever!

I should end with positives. The hostel is quite clean, no complaints on that front. Also it is in quite a good location so getting around Montreal from the hostel is not problem and they serve reasonably priced food and drink in the downstairs bar/cafeteria.

Overall unfortunately, I would no recommend this hostel for people to stay at based on the experiences of myself and my friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Bonjour,

First of all, I apologize for all the hassle… We always try to be ready for all possible situations, but honestly we did not expect a water tank break on January 1st, when all the plumbers in town were on holidays. We managed that issue the best and quickest we could, but I understand it was not the best situation for the guests... Now the good news is that it is all fixed and it should not be a problem for the next couple of years! Yeah!!

Regarding our rooms, they have all different sizes and if some could be tight for 3 tall males, we should be more vigilant when we assign the beds at check-in… I’ll make sure to pass the message along! As for our free daily activities, I’m sorry some were not up to your expectations. Now, the other good news is that we’ve just promoted one of our senior staff to the programming coordination position… Knowing him, I’m sure that he will help to raise the quality standards of the activities (including the pub crawl) for the benefit of all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedbacks as it is the best way for us to move on with improvements. From all the other comments online, we're normally pretty good at meeting everyone's expectations and should you give us a second chance, I remain positiv that we would be up to the challenge,

Bon voyage,

Nicolas Lemaire , Manager HI-Montréal

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I was booked in for five nights in a private room but after I went to my room I returned to reception and cancelled three (due to the cancellation policy). Although my room was clean and quiet the only window faced right into the common area, meaning anyone could see into my room. On top of that the room was freezing cold because of the intense AC. I went up to ask if there was a way I could control it in my room and I was told there were no separate controls and that maybe I should turn the heat on. Nice. So I did, but because the heating vent is under the bed and in the corner - it did nothing.

My room came with a TV but in order to get a remote I had to hand over my driver's license. Why they don't just take $10 and hold it until the remote is returned...I do not understand. People need their ID and running back and forth to the busy reception is a waste of valuable time.

When I went to check out the female staff member was either horribly hungover and just rude by nature.

I lost my sunglasses there and inquired by email if anyone had found them and I received no reply.

This is a hostel...it has good amenities and SOME members of staff are lovely. The location is just fine. But guess what? I went on Hotwire and for $10 more a night I got a room at the Hilton and was treated well and slept in total comfort.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelSkunk
Auberge H, General Manager at HI Montreal Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Bonjour,

It's a hostel, indeed! But a good hostel I shall add... Well, normally!...

Reading the last 3 reviews, I must say that I am a little exasperated... We're usually a blast for all travelers visitng us but it seems that around new years we failed for various reasons.. Hot water thank break, an air conditioned working too good... Is that what we call Murphy's law??!

That being said, I would like to highlight that we're a team of young travelers passionate about our work... We'll go through all comments listed in the feedbacks and see how we can improve on them, while pushing on aspects that we're good. I like to think that we are one of the best hostel in town (maybe the world ?:)) and we'll work twice as hard in order to remain so!

Best Regards and Bon Voayage,