“Fabulous”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

We loved this hotel. We don't understand why so many people complained about the decor..lots of superficial people out there! Room was outstanding..comfortable bed, excellent maid service. The Hilton Honors continental breakfast and appetizers were amazing! You won't leave hungry for breakfast. Location was superb. The Metro station is directly across the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful (tip: you can get discounted tickets to local attractions from the concierge) Overall we were very pleased and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

Great and helpful staff. The hotel could use some remodeling. Walking into the rooms was like a retro decor.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Hiltonfollow-up, General Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you so much for expressing your thoughts about your stay at the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure in September 2009 and for your nice comments about our 'great and helpful staff'.
We are pleased to inform you that we have done major renovations throughout the entire hotel since your stay with us (including guestrooms, carpet, furniture, hallways, banquet rooms, lobby, etc.)

Thank you again for the constructive feedback and we do look forward to the opportunity of regaining your loyalty at the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure, a 4-star rated hotel in downtown Montreal.
Burlington, VT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

I haven't stayed at the Bonaventure Hilton for many years, was curious to see if the property was fresh and updated - and unfortunately was very disappointed. What was once a fairly modern even elegant hotel with unique architecture has slipped a few notches in my opinion. I would not put it in the same category as the other four star properties in Montreal and would not recommend the hotel. The rooms were just ok, fairly basic Hilton rooms. I didn't care for the hallways or the public areas, which were swarming with conventioneers. I have stayed at most of the other four star hotels in Montreal, and would put this hotel at the bottom of the list, perhaps not even on the list. This is really a 3.5 star property. Wouldn't return anytime soon unless the rate was really attractive. Also hated the nickel and dime charges - business center use was expensive, sending a fax cost me in excess of $20 - one gets the feeling each of these amenities are profit centers, not guest services.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable comments on the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure. Rest assured we value your opinion and deeply care about the satisfaction and input of our guests. We were disappointed to learn that you left with a feeling of being overcharged. For your information, the Business Center is operated by a private company which we have no jurisdiction over. You will be glad to learn, however, that on our end, we now offer free internet access in all our guestrooms and the first 15 minutes of use in the Business Center are free of charge.

As to your comment on our rooms, the entire hotel was completely renovated with beautiful rich bright colors, new furniture in all our rooms including 32 inches flat screen TV’s, serenity beds by Hilton…
Should you happen to plan a return trip to Montreal, I will be pleased to personally take care of your reservation.
Micheline Bergeron, exec. asst.
for Louis-Robert Handfield, GM)
Pakse
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

I am not kidding, this hotel is wonderful. The staff were friendly, positive and welcoming. Excellent service - helpful and kind without be overbearing or annoying. This is hard to do well. Great staff. The Executive lounge staff - perfect - best lounge staff ever.

The pool? They aren't kidding - it's very, very warm - great for an outdoor swim in any weather. And it's big enough for a real swim.

Loved my room - well appointed.

You should not stay here.

I was running late the morning I was checking out - hotel staff had no problem with me checking out 20 minutes late.

So I went to take a quick shower before I left.

NO HOT WATER.

I call the desk....

Me: There's no hot water.
Hotel: That happens Sir, there will be hot water eventually.
Me: When?
Hotel: I don't know Sir.

I couldn't wait forever - I had a meeting to get to....waited the 30 minutes I had...then I had to leave.

Walking out I stopped at the front desk and was told:

"It's an old hotel Sir, there is no hot water sometimes"

No offer to adjust the bill for my inconvience....nothing...just "It happens"...

Don't stay here.

Sometimes there's no hot water. And when there is no hot water - no one seems to care at all.

Other than that - this hotel is perfect - I loved the place.

2 Thank Pakse
Hiltonfollow-up, Executive Assistant (For GM) at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
This comment has already been addressed mid-May - strangely, reply does not show up on the screen - Please see below.
First and foremost, our sincere apologies for the attitude displayed by our employees at the Front Desk and for their lack of concern when you brought the hote water issue up to their attention. Rest assured your comments have been addressed and should you reconsider your decision, we would kindly ask you to make your next reservation through this office. We certainly hope that we will in this way have the opportunity of regaining your confidence. On a happier note, thank you for your valuable comments on our 'wonderful' hotel as you say.
Yours sincerely,
Micheline Bergeron
Executive Assistant (For LR Handfield, GM)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

Room was spotless and housekeeping kept it clean and tidy; supercomfy king bed with 5 featherpillows plus heavy curtains made for great sleeping. The floor lamp was broken and the clock/radio was kind of low-end, but those are minor details. Internet was serviceable at $10/day. Room service in particular was astonishingly prompt and pleasant and the food (2 breakfasts, one soup & salad dinner) was delicious. Every staff member I dealt with over 3 days was helpful, smiling, and pleasant, from the concierge to the workman repairing a bit of ripped wallpaper in the hallway. I liked the atmosphere. There is a 1970s decor scheme, but I enjoyed that as a style -- the building was constructed back then and has a 70s architectural design. I am glad that the decor reflects this. There does seem to be ongoing restoration work to keep things nice.
My only problem was that the "print your document from your room" feature didn't work for me. When I asked for help at the front desk, there was only one computer station that could access my document and it was in use by a staffperson who spent ages with another guest. It seemed like that guest was splitting her bill over 10 different credit cards or something complicated. I waited for ten minutes but they were still deep in negotiations and no one else could help me, so I had to go to my meeting without my documents. It wasn't the end of the world, but a business hotel should have more ways to print a document than one computer terminal that is also used for billing. And they should have a staff person in the business center to assist people with technology troubles.
But overall I enjoyed my stay. I had a conference rate under $200/night rather than the rack rate so it was affordable for me.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

PROS: Location, Staff, Cleanliness
CON: Accessibility (We were traveling with an infant in a stroller, had to take a detour to get to our room without negotiating plenty of stairs), Needs updating.

We stayed here in March 2010, really enjoyed our stay. Yet another A+ for Hilton on service, cleanliness, just great stuff. The room was older, I'm not sure if a renovation is on the list for this property but it could use one. Getting our stroller to the room took a fair amount of detouring around to the service elevator. Not a huge deal but was unusual in my experience. Fortunately this was pointed our right way by our bellhop, who was just great and gave us a map straight away with directions to where we needed to go and how long it'd take to get there by foot. Also was quick with some family friendly restaurant recommendations. Took advantage of the breakfast buffet in the morning and was really impressed. Much better than the average Hilton breakfast in my experience.

If you're looking for a classy option in the middle of Montreal (right across the street from the Central Rail Station), the Bonaventure is a great bet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

From the Valet to the reception and the Belbedere bar, everything was excellent.
We could not ask for better.
The staff make you feel at home . The beds are really good. Th Hotel is extremely well located, they have a fantastic heated pool and the food is excellent!
We had a terrific weekend!
Lorraine