“Great hotel”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #48 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I love staying at this hotel. The design is very interesting, the pool is nice,beds are comfy, the rooms are clean, and it is right down town. The food is pretty good and this lounge has the best food of any Hilton I've stayed at. I often try to stay at this hotel when I'm in Montreal, but it does sell out quickly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

And we love having you with us! Thank you for your nice review and especially for your loyalty. See you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,304)

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is probably one of my top hotel choices. It's always a pleasure to stay here. The outdoor pool (which i have never made time to use) is amazing. The design and style of the hotel is great. Parking is ample and easy to access. The Metro is just a 5 minute walk inside to reach. I can't describe it, I just feel very much at home here.

I just love this place, lots of good memories. Really hope this hotel is a staple in the Montreal hospitality landscape forever.

Oh and the buffet breakfast is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shane S

A sincere 'Thank you!' for choosing us as one of your top hotels. The entire team here really cares about making sure that guests have a great time and feel at home here. You must take time for a relaxing swim in the pool on your next visit and it's hopefully soon!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is to be recommended for any business trip, located in downtown Montreal and close to the Bell Center. Staff is very courteous and the business lounge is fresh and clean with an amazing service (smile was free)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank marc b

Thank you for your kind review and we hope to be your first choice hotel on your next trip to Montreal.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I chose this hotel because we were attending the Montreal Gem & Mineral show at Place Bonaventure which is located in the same building and I'm glad we did. The hotel occupies the top 3 floors of the huge Place Bonaventure complex, so it was a short elevator ride and then a short walk (all inside) to the exhibition halls. In addition the hotel offered a special that included free Wi-Fi, access to Exec lounge for breakfast and hors d'oeuvres (5-7pm) and desserts (7-9).

Location is great for attending any events at Place Bonaventure, Bell Centre (2 blocks away) shopping or anywhere in downtown Montreal because you can access the subway and Via Rail train station without having to go outside. A real plus given Montreal can have some cold and wet weather in the fall and winter. St. Catherine Street was a short 2 block walk.

I'm an amateur photographer and the area is fabulous for taking pictures. The beautiful Church of Mary Queen of the World and Place Ville Marie office tower both provided contours and shadows for some great pictures and are both just 1 block away. As it was just after Halloween I took a great picture of one of their flower beds which contained the words HILTON made with small pumpkins.

Some other pluses that I should mention. I found it great that we could open our window (restricted to about 4") for fresh (city) air. The heated outdoor rooftop pool is great. The rooms are well appointed as expected and of course as usual the bed / pillows I want to bring home with me.

We found all the staff to be very nice.

Only negative was that both the internet was really slow for my laptop, but my wife said it was fine on her IPad. Also the TV was having difficulties with the digital reception. This could have been due to the wind storm that hit Montreal that weekend. Anyway, we didn't use either of them enough to raise this to the Front Desk.

Overall a very pleasant and enjoyable stay and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside view if you want a city view, else you could be assigned a room looki...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such an informative review and especially for all the compliments! I am happy that you found the location so convenient and also that you had the opportunity to visit our beautiful city. It's wonderful that you have a passion for photography; please post some of those gorgeous photos for your readers! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

While the Hilton has kept up the property, it still appears and feels dated. There's the outdoor pool that you access from inside the hotel and is open all year round (so when its cold out the steam rises from the water) which was awesome when it opened but now is passé. There's the standard bar in the middle of the property (a bit expensive on the drinks). A round of drinks for three of us ran $70 plus (and I forgot the tip as I thought the tip was already included which it is for room service - and was promptly reminded that I hadn't tipped). The lobby is an elevator up from the entrance and the elevators are slow. The property is not close to anything really. A walk to any interesting parts of Montreal. The food is expensive and alright but not great. The rooms are nicely appointed but if you get a room at one end of the property it is a far walk to the lobby / elevator / restaurants. Just too many other nice hotels in Montreal to choose this one again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Being a penthouse hotel, we do have a different architectural design for sure. Our elevators possibly seem slow because they actually do bring you up 10 very tall floors (equivalent of close to 18 regular floors) in one trip with no stop between the street level and our rooftop lobby. We hope that you will consider us again for a futur visit in Montreal.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have been using this hotel for trips to Montreal irregularly for about twenty years. Since I keep going back it must be time to review it. It is convenient to most of Montreal, especially train stations and subway. Its architecture comes from a period when concrete was popular for everything. It reminds me of Expo 67 and exciting times in Montreal. The hotel is on the top of a very large convention centre, which means the entrance can be hard to find and always involves an elevator ride. The elevator to the lobby has always been quick, which is surprising to me. I find parking beneath the hotel easy, the path to the hotel is tricky but well indicated. The rooms are at the outer edge of the building which can mean a long walk to your room but easy access to all common areas. There is a large peaceful garden with trees and streams inside the ring of rooms. The gardens also have the best feature of this hotel which is a big outdoor pool. It is open long hours in all weather and was a favourite for all of our family. When we first went to the Bonaventure we were allowed to play in snow while in the pool, but now that is prohibited. The rooms are nothing special in size or features, but they have high quality furnishing and are clean and well maintained. Most have nice views of gardens or the St. Lawrence river. The restaurant (we sometimes used it for breakfast) has consistently good food and service.
Now for the disadvantages of this hotel. Even "flexible" reservations cannot be changed within three days of arrival. Over the years, the staff (except restaurant) were variable, some were very pleasant but some were uninformed and unhelpful. However, on our most recent stay the staff were very good. The price is usually high so if the pool or location isn't important, you can find better value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your nice review and thank you for your ongoing loyalty. We are continously working to improve our level of service and I am glad that you've noticed a positive change. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Hmmm... Not the best Hilton I've stayed in. This place has a real 70s feel to it, and the huge Bonaventure Centre it's attached to is a real Soviet-style concrete thing.

There's also lots of concrete inside the hotel, which is pretty gloomy in general. The layout is confusing and unattractive, and just working out where the lobby is gets a bit strange. Prepare to have to carry your luggage up and down stairs to you room.

Staff are not the most friendly I've encountered, and check-in/out is very slow. Too few staff on reception.

Breakfast was good, but there was never anyone at the "wait here to be seated" sign and I was left hanging around each morning.

Room was OK but nothing special. Nice and clean. Hot water for shower takes forever to come through.

Overall, an underwhelming experience. Expensive hotel for what it is.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your review. Designed in the Brutalist style, the exterior walls of our building are poured-in-place, ribbed sand-blasted concrete, with the interior walls sand-blasted concrete or brick. The complex houses our unique 395 room rooftop hotel, Hilton Bonaventure, featuring a 2.5 acres outdoor garden with trees, flowers and waterfalls. Over a dozen of ducks and many koi fish use our lovely ponds. Our rooms also have windows that can be opened for some fresh air.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with a much better experience on your next visit!