“A Nice Winter Getaway”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #47 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were very happy with our weekend stay. Our boys enjoyed the outdoor pool and thought it was a unique experience in winter. Access to the underground city was a huge benefit this time when visiting Montreal as it was so cold. Hotel is close to Bell Centre and Old Montreal and St. Catherine street so all the areas we were interested in. The hotel staff catered to any needs we had and also recommended different restaurants and offered directions when necessary.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Heals385
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

You are right…January is a cold month! But as you mentioned, our hotel is ideally located to visit many sites without spending a lot of time outdoors if that is what you wish. A lot of our guests come back to our hotel yearly for a family winter getaway, some of them for many generations. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon!

Christina Poon
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Recently stayed at Hilton Montreal Bonaventure. Fantastic location and its year-round outdoor swimming pools are a fun treat especially during Canadian winters (you enter the pool via an indoor chamber so you are never exposed to outdoor cold air). The accommodations were spacious and clean, and the staff very friendly and very responsive in both English and French. Would definitely recommend for families.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kwoz
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for recommending us to other families! We look forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Christina Poon, Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have stayed at this Hilton before as it is in good proximity to Old Montreal, the Bell Centre and Catherine St. We are walkers so park the car and walk everywhere once we get to Montreal. Our room was ready for early check in so that was nice. We stayed with the Montreal Tourism Sweet Deals package so got our second night 50 % off, however the hotel forgot to give us our $500 coupon package that comes with this deal. I didn't realize this until Sunday which wasn't helpful to us. You can get to the underground shopping from this hotel-it takes a bit of navigating but it is a nice feature for winter! It is close to the train station (can access through underground as well-but don't bring a heavy suitcase-you have to go up a few escalators-but outside it's just across the street). This hotel has a year round outdoor pool-our kids think it's neat-my husband and I swam in in this year with a windchill of -25-yikes but it is an experience. It is a bit of an obstacle course to get to the pool and the hotel is quite spread out but beds are comfy and smell fresh, rooms are clean and like I said a great location. You can certainly find cheaper hotels but I wanted to know I had a comfy bed and good location-we scoped out a few other places from trip advisor while we were there!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lkb90

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your kind words and constructive feedback. We are glad to have served as a convenient home base for your activities in the city and we hope you enjoyed all of our property's amenities. We will follow-up with our front desk team to ensure that we improve the check-in process. We look forward to having you back with us the next time you venture to the area so we can show you the quality accommodations and service you look for from our brand.

Christina Poon, Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent and quiet! Ideal hotel for a quiet retreat in the centre of the city connected to Montreal's underground city. Enjoy the heated outdoor pool in sub-zero temperatures and snow storms!
Large and comfortable rooms !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian H
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

We thank you for the positive review and we are glad that you enjoyed the outdoor heated pool! Best regards, Christina Poon, Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here in December because the Marriott Champ next door had a powercut one night. It happened at about 5pm all the electrics and lights went out. We are not unreasonable so we thought we will head out early come back and were sure all will be ok. When we got back at 10.30pm still no lights and torches were being given out. It was ridicuolus lots of people were asking to be moved but they were being very awkward however we had pre paid so they moved us to the HIlton for a night. The Marriot is in a good location but its had its day and the fact they had black marks below the lights and the slightly musty corridor smell it was a decent base but not one we would choose again in case you are comparing the two hotels.

We arrived at 11.30pm after some struggle to get a chanage of hotel (two min walk between hotels). The guy on the front desk was great could not fault him I only wish we had his name as he was a credit to the Hilton. We had a good conversation when we booked in and he did it quickly so we could get to our room. The hotel was clean and modern very different from a rundown Marriot. NIce size rooms and if you love the Grand Prix you will love the fact of the photos and i believe the drivers have stayed here to the hotel. In the morning same great service on checking out.

If you want a hotel by the station, clean, modern, great staff, great facilities book here not the Marriot next door!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel and especially our team! We hope to see you again soon. Best regards, Christina Poon, Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I actually booked this hotel by mistake, however it was about 6 blocks closer to my work meetings and in the end everything worked out well. The hotel room was very clean and provided everything that I was looking for. TV, coffee maker, free safe, wireless Internet, and fairly comfortable bed. The free wireless (I believe only free for 24 hours) was "ok" at 1 megabit down and .25 up. I have experienced about 75 times faster at a big hotel just a block away.

One thing that I didn't know was that there is a heated outdoor pool. Wish I had brought one of my baiting suits but since I had thought I booked a different hotel I didn't know in advance. I might book this hotel just to try out a heated outdoor pool.

I couldn't check in before 3pm but that is probably pretty normal. They offered free apples at the front desk which was a nice added touch as it was a while for my dinner. There was a clock radio that I could have attached my iPhone to as well.

The only negatives that I can point out are that there is some stairs to walk up, not many but if you can't do that then there are issues. They hallways are a bit dated but I don't mind and the wireless could have been faster (and maybe longer than 24 hours if I read it properly). I only stayed one night.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AlmostCuban
LouisRobertHandfield, General Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team. We took good note of your comments regarding the accessibility to the guestroom corridors.

Should you be planning a future trip to Montreal, do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can attend to your requirements personally.

Best Regards.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a conference. We arrived by train from Toronto. This hotel is connected underground to the train station. Once you arrive by train in montreal, look around and one of the corners of the station you will see a sign for place bonaventure. Follow that sign and it will lead you to the hilton bonaventure. The only negative is if you have heavy luggage, there are a coupleof spots with no elevators and escalators, only stairs.
The hotel is actually only 2 very wide floors above an office building on the 17th floor. You will also find an outdoor pool which is heated year round. The rooms were nicely appointed and very clean. Didnt use any of the eating establishments of the hotel. Only bought a latte every morning in the main restaurant. If you walk back towards the train station, there are many economical places for breakfast and lunch.
The hotel is 5 minute walk to st catherine. You can also walk underground to le cntr eaton and to most downtown office buildings. Ther are also a couple of small sets of stairs within the hotel from the reception to the rooms. They will help you with luggage if this is an issue. Overall, i highly recommend this hotel for its location and services.

Room Tip: All rooms are on high floors.