“Comfortable, but the Executive Lounge made the stay outstanding!”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #46 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was at the Hotel for a conference but stayed on for sightseeing - 7 days all up. The bed was very comfortable, and it was so quiet. The window can be opened for fresh air, and only a distant hum told me there was a city beneath.
The Lounge, as many others have said, made the stay. Being on my own, the friendly greetings and service by the attendants made me feel at home, and a well as producing a bowl of raspberries for me on my last morning, I felt familiar enough to ask for advice about getting around the city on the Metro and by foot, underground, without feeling silly. The advice worked well!

Room Tip: It would be good to look inward at the garden or pool, but from the 17th floor, the view outward was...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We chose this hotel because our son LOVES to swim and the pool looked awesome...and it was! You can actually get into the pool from indoors and swim outside as long as you like, then return to the indoors without ever getting cold. The water is heated and steaming this time of year. It's not what you'd call really kid friendly though. The shallowest part is 4 feet deep so if you're not a good swimmer, you probably need to bring a floating device, although they had a vest you could use if you wanted. My husband used the treadmill every day and the only complaint was that a few times later at night he got locked into the workout room and had to leave using an exit that leads outside of the hotel, which can be confusing.
This hotel is on the underground connection so even if the weather isn't nice, you can still see the city. It can be a bit tricky to find the places to get out, and even to get in but don't be afraid to ask. He had meetings at the convention center and was able to walk several blocks in underground passages, eat breakfast, get a paper, etc. enroute without getting wet. The rail station is across the street. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance and you're only about a mile from anywhere in the city- museums, mount royal, old town.
The housekeeping was kind of hit or miss. Sometimes we got good service, depending on who was on duty. Finding the restaurant was tricky. The elite lounge, or whatever the Hilton calls the private lounge for guests, is easy to find. The concierge was helpful in telling us how to find a rental car (which is a better option by the day if you can because there's a rental place in the rail station and if you rent by the day, you won't pay the $30 or so it costs for daily parking), and also gave some tips on getting around.
Room service was excellent. My son loved the Pizza hut pizza. I had the salmon salad. There were also fresh fruits and newspapers available daily at the front desk area. Room was quiet as long as there weren't too many younger guests. One night there must have been a sports team of young people who were quite loud going through the corridor.
There's ice skating in the building right next to the Hilton if you run out of sights to see. Lots to do in this city.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the main stairway if you like quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was giving a workshop at a major conference. Decided to use the parking valet service as I had to go in and out over the three days of the conference. Over the three days I had to deal with two "doormen" at the front door. Both were built like bouncers, which is'nt a problem, and behaved like bouncers, wich certainly is a problem! They were unsmiling, very rude, and intimidating, especially to women. I witnessed three encounters were each one of these two guys behaved as bullies, cutting of customers in mid-sentence, scolding female customers as one would an annoying child. Absolutely terrible. I have never seen such rudeness in any of the Hiltton Hotels I go to for business or pleasure.

6  Thank Cigestalt
LouisRobertHandfield, General Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

First and foremost allow us to apologize for the experience you had while interacting with our doormen during your last visit.
We were sorry to read about the attitude of two of our employees and rest assured that this incident is not indicative of the philosophy of service we instill amongst our teammates.

Your comments have already been the subject of discussion with the concerned individuals and will call for a review of our current daily training and quality controls.

Should you wish to share more information, I would be delighted to have a conversation with you.

LR Handfield
514 878-2987

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed all over at Hiltons for pleasure and business...and this one ranks right up near the top.Location is great....quiet....excellent pool and gym....food and service very good...very friendly staff..we will return shortly and this will be our Montreal stop from now on.We are Diamond members and find this hotel relaxing and one of the best here. The executive lounge and the gentleman who is there every morning rank as good as anywhere we have been!Well done!Bonjour!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had no plans for Memorial weekend last minute decided to go to Montreal. Living in NY its a quick 1 hour plane ride. We hotwired the hotel, surprise we got the Hilton Bonaventure, Upon arriving we were surprised that the hotel is on the roof. We checked in to an oversized room which is great for having a family of 4. The room was extemely clean, the beds we great and the bathroom was a good size. The location was wonderful walking distance to just about everywhere. We immeditaly wanted dinner so we went for a walk towards the Bell Center. The home of the Montreal Canadians, they had a great sports bar perfect for 2 hungry kids. The next morning we had Sunday brunch in the hotel, it was worth every penny. We walked to Old Montreal and went to mass at Notre Dame, beautiful church all in French. We took a boat ride along the river, went to the Science muesum and walked along the seaport. The hotel has a pool heated so that was good for the kids. All in all this hotel has everything clean, convenient and the staff was outstanding. The city itself is a great 3 day weekend I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: rooms facing the city
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here for a week while attending a conference in Montreal and found the overall experience to be extremely positive.

I arrived at around 9.30pm and had read reviews prior to my visit, so already knew that you need to take the elevator to the 17th floor in order to reach reception. I had the misfortune of arriving at the same time as a busload of tourists so had to wait a couple of minutes - but it was only that - a couple of minutes. Luckily the tour group was not checking in and there was no queue. The check-in agent was friendly and efficient. My reservation was for 5 nights but I was only waitlisted for my return flight on the 6th day, with a confirmed flight for the day after, so I requested to secure the room for one extra night, just in case. This was no problem and was done quickly as I checked in.

My room was very clean, comfortable and spacious with one of the most comfortable King Sized beds I have ever experienced. The only downside was that it was a little dark during the day (lacking natural light) and in the mornings the tiled area at the entrance and into the bathroom was icy cold. Decor is classy and seems relatively fresh. The bathroom was also clean but a bit on the small side. Rooms have coffee making facilities and a key for the mini-bar can be requested from reception. There are 3 wi-fi internet options - 1 free and the other 2 chargeable but supposedly faster. I used the free option and it was ample for normal usage such as Skype video calls and surfing the internet. You may want to go for the chargeable option if you plan on streaming video or movies to your devis, though.

I used the bar several times throughout my stay for beers/soft drinks/coffee and a couple of meals. Service was always at least polite, mostly very friendly and always quick - absolutley no complaints. I took breakfast in the hotel on all but one morning and again, very friendly sercive and the selection of items and quality of food/beverages was outstandingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed every breakfast there!

The location was very convenient for my meetings (a 3 minute walk away) but equally convenient for leisure activities as St Catherine's Street - the main shopping district - is only a 10 minute (maximum) walk away and there always seem to be a couple of cabs waiting should you want to head further afield to Vieux-Port or back to the airport.

Overall this is a great location, friendly and efficient service with a good food and drink choice. Only the bathroom could do with being a little bigger. I would very happily use this location when in Montreal again.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights at this hotel as I was attending the Congress Centre in Montreal. As stated by other reviewers the outward appearance of the hotel may give a wrong first impression as the building is grey and dull with the hotel being situated on top of offices. We were a bit worried after reading some of the reviews but we indeed found the hotel, it's accommodations and facilities to be good! As Hilton honours diamonds we were upgraded and our room overlooking a garden was spacious and spotless. What made our stay though was the executive lounge which has been commended on Trip Advisor in the past. I cannot praise the executive lounge and the te there highly enough, the best I have ever been to. Since the hotel has many long term corporate stays the service model of the executive lounge is that the same staff man the lounge Monday to Friday to offer continuity and a home from home. Guy works mornings and afternoons and Paul afternoons and evenings, what exemplar employees these 2 are. Professional, efficient and so helpful. Guy's philosophy is that ever guest is a VIP and his love for his job is so apparent. The quality of the food in the mornings and evenings is high. The desserts were beautiful especially the macaroons. We heard that Guy and Paul have won a Hilton award recently for the service they provide in the lounge, so it is more than us that think this is the best run executive lounge ever. Thanks Guy and Paul for making our stay so memorable. and Hilton use this lounge as an example for staff training etc in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012