“Warm, welcoming and comfortable”

Hotel Le Germain Montreal
Ranked #10 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Orlando, Florida
“Warm, welcoming and comfortable”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel is nicely located in the main shopping district of Montreal. There are lots of chain stores as well as others on Rue de St. Catherine. It is convenient to Centre Eaton too.

Upon arriving at 5PM on New Year's Eve, the staff rushed to help us with dinner reservations. They asked a few questions and found us the perfect spot. Always pleasant, the door staff was ever present and attentive.

The room was warm and dimly lit when we entered. The beds were cozy with comforters. It was a larger room than we expected so that was nice for the four of us.

The included buffet breakfast was more than continental with an egg dish, brioche specialty (can't remember the name), fruit and chocolate croissants. We enjoyed the warm oatmeal along with other choices. It was a pleasant cheery room where we could see the snow falling.

It is not near Old Montreal, and too far to walk the hills to the place in the subzero temperatures. That did not bother us as we had a car, but the metro is an option otherwise.

Really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear jsh326,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and your first day of 2014.

Regarding the brioche specialty, you are certainly talking about the bread pudding (pudding au pain), made every day by our restaurant Le Laurie-Raphaël. It is certainly one of my favorite to start the day!

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Jacques-Alexandre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great location. Employees are dedicated to make you feel special. Very quiet and the pilows are better than any hotel that I've been to. Laurie Raphaël is one of the best hotel restaurant in Montreal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Yow4444 ,
Thank you for your kind words.
I am really pleased to read that you felt special during your last time with us, because it is certainly what my colleagues and I want to achieve for each and every time you will stay at Le Germain Montréal.

We look forward to welcome you soon and again, to make you feel special .

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel. Stylish. Room was comfortable. Food was delicious. Was impressed with the breakfast. Convenient location. All shopping was walkable. Concierge was helpful in getting me a reservation at a restaurant that was notoriously difficult to get a table at. Would recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear TOTraveller M,
Thank you for your review and good words.
We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in a near future.
Warmest regards and Happy Holidays,
Scituate, MA
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed here in December on business for two nights. Things I liked the free 24 hour Espresso bar, the concierge, the location and the free breakfast. What I didn't care for; the very limited room service offerings and times, the newspaper offerings and no cabs allowed to wait out front. The rooms were very modern and quiet. I stayed on the 6th floor overlooking Rue Mansfield.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank shem01
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear shem01,
Thank you for your review and comments.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us.
I am taking good note of your comments regarding our room service, newspaper and taxis.

We look forward to welcome you again the next time you will be in our beautiful city.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Germain Mtl at least twice a year for the past 5 years. This is the first time that we have been disappointed to the point that we may not be back to this location.

We have intolerances to Gluten and other foods which was noted in our file. Unfortunately, this time, the gluten free bread promised was still frozen when we arrived for breakfast. There were no other foods we could eat, and the breakfast staff were not accommodating to provide anything else for us. This was clearly a miss. The rudeness of the dining room staff was a surprise however.

Regarding the room, we love the decor and the bed is great. However, the room we were assigned was in need of a good cleaning, including dusty blinds and the like. The ice bucket was full of water (from a previous guest?) and there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling.

When we mentioned some of these issues to the front desk, we were offered a space heater which we refused. There were no other "reasonable accommodations" made for us.

Finally, when we mentioned these issues to the Front Desk upon leaving, we were disappointed with the lack of empathy from the personnel. Lastly, the Valet who want to get my car from the garage drove it, on President Kennedy Avenue, like he was racing an F1 car, which I did not appreciate.

Overall, our stay was a miss, and we are questioning whether we will go to this hotel again, even though we like the location, the decor, the bed and the ambience. I give it a 2.5 rating (2 is too low and 3 is too high).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Golfers on,
Thank you for your review and comments. As we discussed over the phone, a follow up on every comments you sent us has been made, with every employees, as we take your email and comments seriously. I was sorry to read that your last experience with us was not as good as the experience we normally offer to our guests.
I am really pleased we will have the chance of welcoming you again in December.
Warmest regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel 4-5 times in the last few years and always loved the boutique-style and never had an issue with my stay. Unfortunately though during my recent trip, I had to be moved twice from original room. First room (superior) would've been fine but then the TV won't turn off. Maintenance was really quick to come to assist but apparently they would have to unmount the TV from the wall just to unplug it so only choice was for me to move rooms. Staff was really quick (and helped too with carrying my stuff) in switching my room to another one on the same floor and this was around 8 pm at night. Second room wasn't as nice as the first room I had, the ceiling had cracks, there was some weird "eeeee" sound in the room (not sure if from outside) but as I was too tired I was willing to sleep regardless, but then the room temperature control wouldn't work. Staff was quick in finding a room for me when I complained, again on the same floor, and it may have been my frustration or there were no other available rooms, but they moved me to an apartment suite. Apartment suite was awesome, 2 floors. First floor has a kitchen, living room area with TV, bookshelf of reading materials, desk to handle business work, fireplace, powder room; second floor of course bedroom, lounge style seats and TV with great sound system, espresso maker and full bathroom with tub and separate shower, awesome window view. Unfortunately I was too tired to enjoy amenities in room, went straight to bed. Breakfast is always great at this hotel. During my other stays never had a room with cracked ceilings or technical issues with temperature or TV. So perhaps some rooms need renos. My upgrade to apartment suite was a plus so I thank staff for taking the issues I had seriously and compensate with good service and upgrade to apartment suite.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Jennelyn,
Thank you very much for your review and kind words on our staff and the service you receive at the hotel.
We take your experience and comments very seriously and will look into all of them to make sure they will not happen again.
We look forward to welcome you in a near future.
Your loyalty is important to us.
Jupiter, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

If you like words like intimate, comfortable, understated, sophisticated and warm this place is perfect for you. My room was modern and cozy with an open design that made it feel larger. The staff is excellent and the location - for business and shopping (it's not in the tourist old city) was fantastic - around the corner from the Ritz. I really love this small chain. I can't wait to bring my wife.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Jeff B,
Thank you for your review and your kind words.
We look forward to welcome you and your wife soon.