“Not like the pictures”

La Maison Pierre du Calvet
Ranked #28 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed here between Christmas and New Years. Loved the pictures and thought it would be a real treat however when we got there it wasn`t at all what we expected. It appeared shabby, unkept, chairs were dirty, peeling paint. We thought we would stay 2 nights but immediately changed our plans as soon as we walked in the door. Very over priced.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Addy_1212

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Location does not get any better. Right in the old port! The place is charming and peaceful and offers free guest parking. Breakfast was nice, nothing huge but enough to get you going for a day. Rooms are old and charming and common areas are very interesting. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sofija1
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I did not stay here, but I did have lunch here. I was so impressed by the unique decor and wonderful ambiance that I asked to see one of the guest rooms. Personally, I found the
room a little dark for my tastes but the wonderful furnishings more than overcame the
darkness I felt.
Even if you do not stay here, put this on your list of places to see... The "old home" was so picturesque that I could not resist snapping away... Do go and enjoy a glass of wine, or
whatever your choice might be.

Room Tip: I did not stay here. I already had reservations at Auberge Bonaparte... but this surely would be a c...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank advidtravler
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Perfect location. Close to walk to everything. Owner and staff very friendly. Paul was so nice. Had a special birthday dinner in the dining room. Rooms were clean. If you are looking for something different this is it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank haarr
Reviewed July 25, 2011

In this gracious courtyard spot tucked away in Montreal's busy old town we enjoyed a magnificent modestly-priced lunch any self-respecting French person would applaud. We chose gazpacho, salad with a delicious light orange-y dressing, and duck confit sandwich with seasoning and spice just right. Our waiter was a well-versed global citizen with a twinkle in his eye who spoke several languages and in his soft-spoken way was happy to exchange travel stories and even some politics. The courtyard is stone and the soft background of tasteful classical music completed the perfect setting. We had only two days in Montreal so we arrived at Les Filles busy and tired but we left the restaurant well fed and refreshed. Les Filles du Roy was a highlight of our weekend. We'll be back, as we want to try everything else on the tasteful menu.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyDilberta
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My wife & I really enjoyed our trip to this fabulous hotel. We have stayed in some of the finest hotel chains in the world (i.e. Ritz, 4 Season's, The Breakers, Sea Island, Grove Park Inn) & also top boutique destinations (i.e. Xandari).

Unmatched charm & romance, great location on the north edge of old town. Great decorating that was well executed with a perfect mix of antiques & replicas. Enjoyed the cool evenings with the window open & fireplace running. Very nice clean bathroom and had a new TOTO toilet with auto close lid, just like home! Wifi worked great. Thank you for including it with the base rate, wish all hotels did this...

There are a few areas that need some slight renovation (paint, wood, etc.) in the common areas but you are staying in someone's home from ca. 1750 so you can't expect it to be perfect.

Let's talk about the food....amazing! Ossobucco & French Onion soup were the best I ever anywhere. One of the most elegant dining rooms I have ever been in, but still felt very comfortable without a tie. Also, breakfast was included everyday that was a full meal: fresh croissants, fruit salad, coffee, fresh juice, brie omelets, homemade sausage....amazing! The service was perfect and friendly each time, and the in-keeper even personally took care of us on our last morning.

If you want an experience that memories will last you a life time, goto Montreal and stay here!

Room Tip: Room#5 was really nice, but #6 looked even better
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank flyfastsellhard
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed here in September 2009...unfortunately it was during a restoration so there was a lot of noise during my 2 night stay (I was not informed of this beforehand). I really liked the feel of this place but I can see how it appeals to a select group. Staying here is like being in a time warp...the rooms are dark, furnished with heavy, ornate furniture and have antique wood floors and exposed stone. My first night was on the first floor in a small room, right beside the kitchen and office (there are only 2 on this floor). It was a little noisy at first because of the normal activity of the staff but in the morning when the restoration began, it became unbearable. I asked for a room where I would be spared the noise and workers outside my window and was moved to a larger and even more beautiful room on the 2nd floor...and was charged extra for it. Breakfast was lovely, surroundings very victorian and charming and outdoor terrace for lunch was nice, especially when I went there afterwards to read and enjoy the classical music. LIbrary was cozy. The check in/out service was lazy (also, no one to help with bags which became cumbersome traipsing up stairs) and the big bird cages with the noisy birds were very smelly on the first floor. No room service or gym or any other amenities which makes the price per room at $235 + shocking. Great location, you can walk everywhere, just bring proper walking shoes as heels are totally inappropriate for the area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple