Review Highlights
Completely Eclectic Neighborhood of Montreal

A very unique and eclectic neighborhood of Montreal and easily walkable. The mix of shops and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
8ric
Tampa, Florida
It's Gay, It's a Village

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
John38plus

Recommended experiences in and around Montreal
from $19.34
from $22.82
from $88.95
from $23.12
More Info
All reviews rainbow colors berri uqam strip bars pedestrian traffic st catherine pleasant area great neighborhood lots of fun lots of restaurants hop on hop off bus interesting shops old city street flags metro parade summertime
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just as a matter of some 'historic' significance, the acceptance of gay people has brought a few heterosexuals to the area, which is what everyone wants, right? I'm for it although the place has lost a small bit of sex appeal! Surprisingly, the Village has never been a mecca of creativity. The shopping on the main street is limited . One great gift store was Aladdin, stocked with a interesting variety of Middle-Eastern items. Naturally, many outdoor cafes, weather permitting. Somewhat disappointing is the attitude of a few of the people, in particular, bartenders. I'm not the 'Ugly American' personality- friendly- but some want to prove you wrong. My advice to some of the people I've encountered there is to knock that chip of your shoulders; you are a tourist destination!
The area is extremely safe but keep your guard up, nonetheless.That can be difficult in a party town but I've been hustled out of money on a couple of occasions or had money lifted from my pocket from some attractive person feigning interest in me, expressed in an embrace. I'm neither a fool or without my share of the genuine interest by a fair amount who think of me as handsome, so there wasn't a measure of desperation by me to allow this. The hustler-type studies his 'mark', and if you allow yourself to look like the out-of- towner, you can be a victim anywhere. That said, from the Village, its only about a 5 block walk to Old Montreal when you want some realness. I enjoy a measure of both.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed August 20, 2019 via mobile

We where in the hop on hop off bus around Montreal & a lot of us where talking about the next stop, which was ‘The Village’ ... we where thinking this & we where thinking that but in the end we decided we are here we may as well check it out! So we got off the bus with 2 other couples & was amazed just looking around at how clean & colourful it was compared to Sydney Australia! The polite people as we walked into a department store was so different & the cleanliness of the store was unbelievable. So many colourful pictures & bright zebra crossings had been painted ... we where so pleased to walk the Main Street of The Village. A must to see if you have time!

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed August 16, 2019 via mobile

You will be drawn to the beautiful colored balls strung across the entire street here, making it a joy to wander. Be sure to walk to the staircase in the center where you can take a photo on the bridge. Pretty view of rainbow colors. The stores and restaurants here were nothing that interesting. But the pretty street closed to traffic is worth a walk. We easily found street parking.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank DonnaD741
Reviewed August 11, 2019 via mobile

Small gay village are. Lots of shops, galleries and good places. Looks lovely with the coloured bobbles overhead.
Worth taking a few minutes out your day to visit the area.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 17, 2019

Really couldn't wait to leave Montreal, had planned on staying for 2nights but after 2hrs we wanted to leave. We felt so unsafe. The church area is lovely but the main street where the shops are which is about a 10mins walk is as scary as hell. It was like walking around a drug addicts den. It was early, maybe 4pm. We turned a corner, then it was like being in a horror movie. People on drugs everywere. We were all so afraid. They were coming straight at us and we turned bck only to be greeted by more addicts that looked like they would attack us at any moment. Never again. Someone needs to warn people that visit this city.

Date of experience: August 2018