“Cosy stay right on the Plateau Mont-Royal”

Auberge de La Fontaine
Ranked #10 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Cosy stay right on the Plateau Mont-Royal”
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I stayed 4 nigths in early October. This is a cosy, clean and elegant hotel in a great location just across the street from Parc Lafontaine. It is also just a few blocks away from the the great restaurants and bars of the Plateau Mont-Royal. We enjoyed the fabulous breakfast buffet.. Very well presented. The service is unintimidating and very friendly, making us feel at home. The rooms are clean and very well decorated.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Visitor88888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I just returned from 4 nights at Auberge de La Fontaine, which I chose based on the very favorable reviews it's received on this website. It was not my first trip to Montreal, and I wanted to get away from the more hectic pace and crowding of the central city.
I certainly did get away. I did not realize how long the walk to the Metro would seem until I actually made that trek several times per day, and in very hot weather. And it was not relaxing to return at night to my barely cooled room (although this seems to often be the case in Montreal, where theoretically air conditioned stores, restaurants, and theaters are barely less warm than the outside air).
My walking actually began with my arrival at the hotel, when I was given my room key, shown the stairs, and told where to find my room on the 2nd floor. I have never stayed anywhere, including tiny B&Bs, where there was no assistance with one's bags, particularly if stairs were involved. For the most part, I did not find the staff to be particularly helpful and am frankly baffled by other travellers' descriptions of this hotel's warm atmosphere (well, it was definitely warm, but only in terms of the uncomfortable indoor temperature).
The room itself was clean and attractive, and the bed was very comfortable. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but each morning something seemed to be missing from the breakfast array -- fresh coffee, coffee cups, cutlery. I had the impression that nobody was keeping an eye on what was running out, what needed to be refilled or replenished, etc.
If you want to rent a bike and do a lot of bike riding, the proximity to Parc La Fontaine and the bicycle rental shop are great. There are good restaurants in the neighborhood, but it's a young crowd and not terribly comfortable for, say, 40-somethings and up. And if you're not up to long walks (or taking cabs or driving to other neighborhoods), the location is definitely not ideal. And do be prepared to carry your own bags up lots of stairs.

• Liked — Quiet surroundings, pleasant room, park across street
  • Disliked — Long walk to subway, staff not very helpful
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank irmavep
ManagerADLF, General Manager at Auberge de La Fontaine, responded to this review, October 18, 2007
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Auberge de La Fontaine in Montreal. I would like to assure you that I will follow up with our employees regarding your comments. For the stairs, tour staff should offers help to our guests with their bags. We are aware that our property can be challenging because of the stairs and we usually try to help our guests managing these.

Also, regarding the breakfast, every morning we do have a person that manage the buffet and per your comments, it wasn't done properly. I will also follow up on this.

Thank you again.

Marie-Claude

Chicago
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I stayed at the Auberge de La Fontain during the Gran Prix and my room was broken into. The thieves stole my laptop and computer bag even though it was thoroughly concealed in the closet. The hotel claimed no responsibility and apologized but said that there was nothing that they could do. Do not stay with this unreputable group. In addition to the security issues, the rooms are like a college dorm room and very poorly lit.

• Liked — The park across the street
  • Disliked — Security issues and poor business attitude towards responsibility
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank larryinchicago
I just want to let the readers know, that it was the first time in 18 years that one of our rooms was broking into. We are in a very safe area of Montreal, and our property is manned 24 hours a day.

California Bay Area
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed here for three nights in July, 2007. We flew in to Dorval airport and rented a car to drive into town. This charming B&B is away from downtown, but the City of Montreal is pretty concentrated, and you can be just about anywhere in minutes. I agree with a previous reviewer that is a long (maybe impractical on limited time as we had) walk to the Metro, but there are buses stopping right in front of the Auberge that must connect with the Metro. (We did drive to a nearby Metro station to avoid the considerable traffic on some of our outings).

This lovely inn shows its age, but that only adds to its charm, as it wears a patina that is lovingly maintained. The service was courteous, warm and prompt. Some B&B's are managed by folks who want to plan your stay for you and be part of your clan, but that is not our style, nor is it the style of this establishment. They have plenty of slicks around for local attractions, and suggestions are posted on a dry board; otherwise, you are free to plan on your own. There is a PC for public use off of the lobby as well.

We were given the keys to our room and rounded the corner to go up to the third floor and were met by a very steep, narrow staircase, and I counted 43 steps from lobby to our door! What a GREAT way to burn off some of the many calories we would acquire in the next few days! We were assigned the corner room (I had requested park view on their website) which was brightly decorated, but not too fussy, small but cozy and very clean. The queen bed was quite firm, and we found great water pressure on the third floor. We had a great view of the Park De la Fontaine across the street, looking into the trees. You could clearly hear the street noise down below, but that never kept us up at night, and I am a light sleeper. We never heard a peep from our neighbors. Bathrobes were provided. We had 24 hour access to the kitchen that provided tea, coffee, store-bought cookies, crackers and cheese, and anything left from that days' breakfast.

And speaking of breakfast, this was my favorite feature of this inn. It is served in their brightly lit front room overlooking the park, and what a veritable feast of colors and flavors, and artfully presesented. There is a hot egg dish, a variety of breads and bagels for toasting, pastries, fresh fruit: whole and cut up, a selection of cereals and muesli with toppings of dried fruits and nuts to choose from; a selection of cheeses and sliced meat or meat spread, yogurt and juices, coffe and tea. We tried everything and were well fortified for each days' activities. They serve wine and cocktails in the evening until the wee hours.

On the day we arrived, our bag of toiletries was misdirected by the airline, and not only did Natalie at the front desk help me locate a nearby pharmacy with directions, she also called them to check on their hours. Wonderful people work there and run this place. Highly recommended.

For dining options, we enjoyed L'Enrtrecote St. Jean downtown (you will dream about their profiteroles for years to come), Schwartz's Deli, Frites Alor! and if you are up for a little splurge, DO NOT miss Toque near Victoria Square!

• Liked — Charming character, great breakfasts, great service
  • Disliked — Parking may be difficult at certain times of day.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CA78
Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed September 14, 2006

This is an exceptionally appointed and decorated hotel, with remarkably elegant and superior suites at the cost a mere fraction of that which the mainstream hotels charge. It's more than a 'home away from home' in that one does not want to return home from this hotel; it could not be better in any respect, in terms of location, appointments, services, decor, hospitality, value; in every respect. By far, a completely new and clean facility throughout, with genuine warmth and comfort beyond description. The finest Montreal or any North American city has to offer, and in a district with superb restaurants. Each unit is a home unto itself, and one is not aware of other guests or units.

• Liked — The decor and warmth; modern and sophisticated, tasteful and warm.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffbro
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Rooms are clean and comfortable, not too small as is sometimes the case in a B&B. We had a beautiful view of the park across the street. The location requires a little bit of walking but the surrounding neighborhood and park are very nice. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and helpful. We were not able to get their free wireless working on my Mac, but they spent a long time trying to solve the problem, much longer than I'd expected. There is a shared computer for guests in the lobby area as well. Breakfasts were excellent, lots of healthy choices. Snacks in the "help yourself" kitchen were a treat and a perfect way to break up the day with a short siesta in the room before heading back out for more sightseeing. We will definitely stay here again the next time we're in Montreal! A+

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 4, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed here. Service and staff were friendly, always available, and very helpful. Breakfasts were bountious and delicious and fresh. Kitchen, fully stocked with goodies was a bonus. Room was clean, neat, comfortable - all the comforts of home. Beautiful setting across from the park. About an 8 block walk to the Metro, though.

Stayed August 2005