“Cozy French hotel in a great location!”

Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine
Ranked #53 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Michigan
“Cozy French hotel in a great location!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Had a standard 1 double room for three days. It was small, but had a king-size bed and was very clean and nicely decorated. The breakfast was ample and included eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, and pastries. The hotel is located in the Latin Quarter near the university, so it is surrounded by small shops and good restaurants and is only a 20-minute walk to downtown Montreal. Parked our car in a garage two blocks away (at a fee) and walked or used the Metro (three blocks) during our stay. Receptionist was very kind and helpful. Excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: No elevator in this hotel. Quiet rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Great hotel to stay in Montreal. Perfect location, just a walk away to the old city. Service was great and breakfast was just perfect. Room was a good size for a couple and very clean.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Please note: I stayed at l'Auberge le Jardin in December 2008. The "Date of Stay" scroll-down menu doesn't reach farther back than Octgober 2009. Now, before you raise your eyebrows any higher, please understand that, sure, my review is nearly two years too late, but the fact that this auberge remains so memorable to me is justification. Tonight, I just happened to be reminiscing about my last trip to lovely Montreal, which is one of my favorite cities in the world. In this galaxy, anyway.

I recall having researched the B&B here on TripAdvisor and then on the establishment's own site. I knew that I would be arriving in Montreal at night -- after staying a few days in Quebec City and coming in via rail -- so I wanted a cozy place run by congenial staff. That's what I received, and more!

After the Quebec City tour, I was utterly exhausted. It had snowed in QC -- oh, but it was beautiful up there, and the holiday decorations already were strung up and propped up so beautifully. Instead of imprisoning myself in my hotel room (at le Chateau Frontenac), I "got out there" in the snow, trudging along, slipping on ice, getting a little lost, eating well ... just plain having fun! So after saying goodbye to QC and enjoying a first-class ride on VIA RAIL, I could hardly move my early-winter-ravaged body through Gare Centrale. When I reached l'Auberge le Jardin Antoine by taxi, I smiled as soon as I saw the canopy out front and all the restaurants, cafes, bistros and shops on the street. I really should've taken the subway, because the ride from Gare Centrale to Berri-UQAM is a breeze, even with four-day luggage.

L'Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine is located on one of the prettiest stretches of rue St-Denis (yeah, it's a long street). For those of you who haven't yet been to Montreal -- or who haven't covered the city's Quartier Latin -- you are in for a TREAT! And this auberge puts you up close and personal with the goings-on of rue St-Denis. My room faced the courtyard, so it was quiet during my stay, but the fun part was stepping outside of the inn to have my choice of dining establishment -- not only by price, but by style and cuisine. I really wanted fondue, and hadn't yet tried la Creperie Bretonne, but as it was a Monday evening, that restaurant was closed. I felt like strolling, so I wound up at a diner across from a hospital. I knew the food had to be good (yeah, it was!) because doctors, nurses, security guards and other hospital staff know where to eat well and frequently. But, if I had wanted a French bistro, an Italian or Japanese or Chinese or Indian restaurant, or McDonald's, all was at my disposal in the auberg'es neighborhood. By the way, students know where to eat well and inexpensively, so if you don't have the time during your trip to find the affordable restos in Old Montreal or in the Plateau (yeah, that tres cher 'hood has some, too, such as La Banquise), then opt for dining in the Quartier Latin. OK, enough about food ... for now.

L'Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine isn't a fancy B&B, but it's charming. It's not wheelchair-accessible, mind you. So, please keep that in mind as you search for accommodations (i.e., a full-service hotel (not necessarily a chain hotel) would be better for accessibility.) When I stepped into the place -- or, I should say, after I ascended the staircase and opened the door -- I came face to face with a compact but expert staff that welcomed me like family. Unlike in my country, the color of my skin didn't get me subpar treatment or rude stares.

My arrival was on an early Monday evening, December 1 to be precise. The taxi ride from Gare Centrale was less than a half-hour -- taking rush hour into consideration. Although I was very tired from intercity travel, my spirits perked up as soon as I heard the first of several "Bonjour"s from the auberge's staff. Oh, and by the way, it wasn't snowing in Montreal. It was only drizzling, and it wasn't cold. Yeah, Quebec City and Montreal at that time of year are like night and day.

That evening, I snapped photos in the rain and then strolled until I found that diner I mentioned above. Many of the city's neighborhoods are so safe -- especially compared with large urban areas in the U.S. -- and the Quartier Latin (Latin Quarter) is no exception to that rule about Montreal. Again, there are lots of students and artists in that area, so that's how you get a great combo of tres chic and affordability. Hey, if you want luxe dining, you've got it. If you want budget dining, you've got it. If you hover somewhere in between, yup, you're covered. Don't speak French? No worries. Of course, it's always nice to try a little of the language that's spoken in your destination. Carry a dictionary and phrasebook, and you'll find your experiences in the eateries to be heightened ones.

[An aside about immersing yourself in French when traveling to the French-speaking provinces in Canada: Try speaking the language, but don't be arrogant -- or, converse, ignorant -- about it. I appreciate Quebecois culture -- from the people and the language to the food and music -- and it took me only one trip to Quebec City to notice that there's a BIG difference between Parisian French and Quebecois French. My statement is not placing any superiority of one kind of French over another. After all, the way a language is spoken has a lot to do with the geography and all kind of developments through history. Yes, many people in Montreal speak English, especially in establishments where tourists tread. However, when you're traveling in a city -- and in a province -- where French is the first language, you would do well to practice key phrases beginning two weeks before you leave home ... wherever "home" is. By the way, I found my phrasebook and a basic Montreal guidebook to be indispensable where signage was concerned. Then again, in Montreal, many (but NOT all) signs are bilingual. But let me warn you: In Quebec City, you really will have a better time if you have good command of those key French phrases. And especially if you venture outside of the gates (out of the Old City section of Quebec City), as I did, you WILL need to speak a little French and understand when it is spoken to you. ... Back in Montreal, though, I got quite a surprise when I walked into an Eggspectations franchise -- the one a block from rue St-Jacques, in le Vieux-Montreal -- speaking only French. As it turned out, the host, or maybe he was the captain, had been studying English and so he felt insulted that I didn't do the same. Hey, you can't win 'em all. I walked out the door, cursing under my breath in English. Then I walked several blocks through the quaint, historic neighborhood (Old Montreal is breathtaking and it does remind me of parts of Paris) until I found a friendly bistro on rue St-Paul. I highly recommend that if you're new to Montreal, be sure to eat something, anything on or just off both rue St-Paul and rue St-Denis in Old Montreal and the Latin Quarter, respectively. It's very difficult to go wrong cuisinewise in Montreal, and those two areas, you'll find the choices aplenty. Bon appetit! ]

I get carried away talking and writing about food, but getting back to that sweet l'Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine: Simply put, I miss the place. I miss the manager, the assistants, the ladies who worked the breakfast room with class and hospitality. I recall the scrumptious croissants, ham and melon on which I had seconds -- no, thirds -- after a comfy night's sleep. My room, as I was traveling solo, had a single bed, and I was relaxed falling to sleep while watching the television (which was mounted just off the wall near the ceiling). There was a desk and chair, and I'm a writer, so that made me feel right at home. And, yes, write I did ... all night ... after I returned from the diner I mentioned earlier. The way I ate at that joint, I needed to walk around a bit!

Despite a heavy dinner the previous evening, I awakened hungry. This explains the third serving I was not intimidated in partaking of. That jambon -- oh, that delicious, thinly sliced ham! I can taste its sweetness now and how well it was paired with the buttered croissant. Yumm! I remember the tasteful china in which I had better coffee than anything I previously had tasted at the ubiquitous Second Cup chain throughout Montreal. I munched and chatted for about an hour with the mostly friendly guests who also reluctantly left their cozy rooms.

Next time I stay at l'Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, I must be sure to ask the manager whether I may enjoy le petit dejeuner in my room. I am wondering this because there's a photo here on TripAdvisor that shows a breakfast tray. So to le gerant, I ask: Is that for real? C'est vrai? If not, that's OK, because I do love the company of other guests in the breakfast room. No, I don't interrupt people when perhaps they'd like to be alone. What I mean is, I like saying "Good morning" or "Bonjour" when I enter the room, and IF someone wants to chat, I share conversation. I find that in the province of Quebec, whether I'm in Montreal or Quebec City, it's like France in that it's natural and appetite-inducing to share pleasant conversation at the table. In the U.S.A., at least specifically where I live, that's a big no-no.

Oh, I am anticipating my return to Montreal ... and to a safe, comfy night or two -- or three -- at this strategically located inn. And what a pretty name, too: l'Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank GoGoBoots_2010
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2010

High-speed connection advertised specifically. Never got access. Staff was of little help. Management was nowhere to be found. Fail.

• Stayed November 2009
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
antoine771, Manager at Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
La version française suit

It is true that the wi-fi Internet did not work in the room on Friday August 20 and Saturday 21, 2010 du to a power shortage. The problem was solved on Monday 23 by our computer technician who had to wait for the necessary material to do the repair. On Friday, our receptionnist offered the guest to connect his laptop directly to the internet in the manager’s office but he declined this offer. We also have a computer station for our guests in the office but, again, he refused this solution.

When the manager came back to work on Monday (he was away for the weekend) he called the guest to apologize and offered a free room upgrade on his next stay.
A power shortage can happen anywhere and is out of our control. Since we are a small hotel we cannot have a technician on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However we have a remote access to a technician at any time but in this particular case he had to have the necessary material and to come to the premises, that explains the delay.

Our staff is trained in the hotel business not in computer sciences and they do their best to offer solutions. We believe that we did our best to satisfy this customer in a very rare situation.

The Auberge Le Jardin d’Antoine manager.

L’internet sans fil n’a pas fonctionné dans la chambre du client les vendredi et samedi 21 et 22 août en raison d’une panne de courant. Le problème a été réglé le lundi par notre technicien qui a dû attendre pour se procurer le matériel nécessaire. Notre réceptionniste a offert au client de brancher son ordinateur portable directement sur internet dans le bureau du gérant mais il a décliné son offre. Nous avons également un poste dédié à nos clients dans le bureau de l’administration mais le client a refusé de l’utiliser.

Lorsque le gérant est revenu de son week-end le lundi matin, il a appelé le client pour s’excuser du contretemps et lui offrir un surclassement lors de son prochain séjour.
Un problème électrique peut survenir n’importe où, n’importe quand et est hors de notre contrôle. Comme nous sommes un petit hôtel, nous ne pouvons avoir un spécialiste sur place 24 heures sur 24, 7 jours sur 7. Par contre nous avons accès à distance à un technicien en tout temps mais dans ce cas précis il devait avoir le matériel nécessaire et se déplacer, c’est ce qui a occasionné le délai.

Notre personnel est formé dans le domaine de l’hôtellerie et non en informatique et il a fait de son mieux pour offrir des solutions. Cette situation est très rare et notre personnel a fait de son mieux dans les circonstances.

Le gérant de l’auberge
Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2009

With the breakfast included this was a great little hotel (more than a b&b). At the doorstep are restaurants, some with their own micro-breweries to sample on tap. Close to most public transport and Old Montreal is a 15 minute walk away.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adowey80
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Great price in a great location! We stayed for three nights while roadtripping through Canada. The location in the Latin Quarter is fantastic - you are surrounded by great restaurants, nightlife, and shopping - very eclectic, and not "chain-y" like you will find over near McGill. Within walking distance of Old Montreal, and great access to the subway system. The breakfast was perfect - cereal, fruit, cheese, tea/coffee, etc. The staff was very nice. Small rooms, but for the price and location, it really cannot be beat.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank sabresgirl27
Tonbridge
Reviewed July 8, 2009

A B&B Hotel conveniently located in Rue St Dennis in Montreal's Latin Quarter. 15-20 min walk to Old Montreal, Mont Real and the 500+ shops of McGill - easy to use buses (coins only) if you don't want to walk.

The staff are excellent - friendly and knowledgeable and cannot do enough for you. The standard rooms are small but quiet, comfortable and adequate - they have suites which look very nice. Bathroom OK with spa bath and hand shower - would have preferred a proper shower.

The buffet breakfast is a great selection of juice, fruit, cold meats, cheese, croissants, bagels, baguettes, toast, with all the trimmings. Hot Drinks but no hot food. Always enough for everyone thanks to attentive staff. Free wireless internet OK but sometimes slow and unusable.

Not for everyone. Located in the Latin Quarter which is vibrant and full of good restaurants and niche shops - try the hot choc at Juliette et Chocolat close by! But expect to meet homeless begging for cash - we didn't find them a problem or threatening. The Hotel is on four floors without a lift - stairs cannot be avoided so not for invalids or disabled.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Great welcome, great location, excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple