“My new favorite hotel for a McGill parent....”

Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“My new favorite hotel for a McGill parent....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My new favorite hotel for a McGill parent......spa in the basement such a bonus......so sorry le germain!

• Stayed January 2012
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
It will be our pleasure to host you for future visits to McGill. We are delighted that you had a great stay and thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband and I planned an overnight getaway to Montreal by train from Ottawa to celebrate my birthday a few weeks ago. For convenience to the train station, we often stay at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, but Omni had a fantastic promotional rate of $99 a night so we decided to check it out. If the sidewalks had not been so icy, it would have been an easy walk to the hotel. As it was, a short cab ride did the job for about $8. The location of the Omni is excellent, bordering McGill University, right on the edge of Mont-Royal, and right in the middle of excellent shopping and restaurants. The room wasn't overly impressive, but it was very clean, big enough for what we needed, and had a very large bathroom with lots of marble. The TV was old (and not flat-screen), which seemed unusual for a high-end hotel, but no big deal. As it turned out, my husband came down with a virus while we were there, so we spent a lot more time in the room than we planned. We ordered room service for dinner and breakfast. The food was fine, not extraordinary, but it came promptly and was served with care. I booked a last-minute massage at the Amerispa downstairs. The massage was excellent, but the facility looked pretty tired. It could use some updating for sure. I also used the hotel hot tub on our final morning there. The health club that is beside it looks very good, with plentiful equipment. But the hot tub, change rooms and especially the "steam room" were not very appealing. I think there is a renovation coming up, and it definitely needs one. I didn't try the sauna because it was down the hall near the men's change room. I looked in and it was quite small and filled with some chatting men, so I took a pass.
So while some aspects of the hotel could definitely be improved on, we would stay there again with no hesitation. I am a stickler for good service and the hotel aced this aspect! Everyone we encountered, from the front desk to the concierge, to the room service waiters, to the doormen, to the health club attendant, was extremely friendly and helpful. We felt welcome and relaxed and that makes all the difference. If you're staying here, make sure to sign up in advance for the Omni guest program. It gives you free WiFi, newspaper, a large bottle of water delivered to you after you check in, and "morning beverages" delivered free each morning. We ordered orange juice and it was brought on a tray with two apples.
Finally, you should know that less than a block away is a great breakfast/lunch/coffee spot called Vasco de Gama. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and espresso and the staff were very friendly. On the morning we left, I walked to Au Pain Dore, a bakery also a little more than a block from the hotel, and picked up fantastic sandwiches for the trip home. I also bought a box of pastries...eclairs and lemon and chocolate tarts. They were insanely good!
All in all, if you can get this hotel for a decent rate, it is more than worth it! We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they put as at the far end of the hall on the 8th floor. It was so qui...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bergie01
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday at The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. We are glad you were well taken care of by all of our associates. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back for a future stay in our newly renovated guest rooms.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I loved my end of January 2012 weekend at the Onmi Hotel in Montreal! The staff is wonderful, the room is elegant, super clean and very wonderful, the bathroom is spacious and great with fabulous towels and cosmetics. The hotel is situated in the middle of the best shopping on Peel, Maisoneuve and St. Catherines streets in the most wonderful selections of boutiques and malls and cafes and restaurants. It is across from the McGill university campus and below the mountain. Very central! if you just have an overnight suitcase, you can take the express bus for 8 dollars ( the taxi cost $40) to and from the airport, just walk 10 minutes in a straight line.

Must try the buffet breakfast--the staff there and at the desk and in the Spa are first rate. I am critical, but I could find no fault. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank szinesz
It was a pleasure for us to read that you had such an enjoyable weekend at The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. Thank you for taking the time to recommend us on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon.
Craftsbury, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

I would never stay at this hotel again. It was an old, run down mess. They say they are undergoing a renovation, which is great, but in the meantime the place is a disaster. Furniture, carpets, bathrooms etc. were worn out. Mini bar was empty and non-functional. Nightstand door was falling off hinges. Glass was missing from top of one nightstand and top very scratched up. Drapes and carpet were old, and stained. Phone system was out of order. Windows were single pane allowing lots of street noise in.

Due to my experience at this hotel on this trip, even after the renovation I do not plan to return. They never should have let this hotel deteriorate to the point it has and should have simply closed the hotel during renovations rather than take guests money.

This was NOT a 4-star hotel and having it included in the Priceline listing really degrades the reputation of Priceline as a booking site. My experience at this hotel makes me very hesitant to book through Priceline again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DPCVT
We were dismayed to read about your experience at our hotel. While we agree that it was time for our renovation, we have done our best to maintain our product and complement it with superior service. We truly hope that you will reconsider a future stay with us as our newly renovated rooms with be among the best in Montreal.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed here twice this past fall on business and each time I was very satisfied with my experience. Upon checking in, I discovered I had been booked into a smoking room. The bellhop was most helpful, calling down to change my room. Considering the hotel was nearly fully booked, I really appreciated it. My executive assistant booked my room, so I am not sure whether non-smoking is an option. If it is, definitely pick it if you are a non-smoker as the smell in my first room was unbearable.

Check in and out was very smooth. I asked for dining advice from the concierge and was directed to a lovely restaurant just round the corner.

The hotel does feel a little dated, but I feel like the helpful staff make up for it. The price of the rooms seem appropriate for the location. I would have no hesitation staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you book non-smoking if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We are glad that both of your recent stays went well at The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. We do apologize that you were placed in a smoking room but moving forward this should not be an issue for any guest. We are now 100% non-smoking and all rooms are being renovated which will eliminate any lingering odors from previous guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to your next visit.
Ottawa, ONT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I loved this hotel! My friend and I went for a shopping wknd and to check out the Jean Paul Gaulthier exhibit. It was walking distance to both, with Ste. Catherine a street or 2 away with excellent shopping. Restaurants and clubs all around, and I didn't have to use the car once all wknd, which I appreciate. The place is a bit older, but it was clean and spacious. Would stay again. Bonus: great view!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank belly2379
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
We are thrilled that The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal could provide you the perfect place to stay while exploring Montreal. We hope you will return soon to experience our new look!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

I will never stay at this hotel chain ever again. I checked in on New Years back from Cancun. I booked a king suite suite through priceline for $160 for one night. I got a suite with literally one TWIN bed and a roll in cot.

I was upset so called the front desk to change rooms. They were completely apathetic and told me I was lucky to get any room for the price I paid. I couldnt believe such arrogance. He kept saying that average room cost was 300. I told him I didnt care about cost. It was new years and I wanted the suite I had booked. He told me the hotel reserved the right to alter room assignments.

I have never met such hostile or careless staff that make it there point to insult guests especially on a holiday. The bed itself had stains at its base and there was a 22" lcd tv in the room. What a horrible experience. Shameful and plain UNETHICAL !!!

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank inro41
It is with great regret that we read about your experience at our hotel. Although we don't receive room type requests or guarantee room types through Priceline, we are sorry that this was not explained more appropriately by our front desk. Regardless of the rate, we want all of our guests to feel respected by our associates. Even in the case of Priceline, we do our best to assign the needed room types to our guests and apologize that in your situation we were unable to do so. We will share your feedback with our front office team and hope for the opportunity to provide you with a stay that meets all of your expectations in the future.