“In need of renovation? Or is it old world charm?”

Hotel Le Cantlie Suites
Ranked #64 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Makati, Philippines
“In need of renovation? Or is it old world charm?”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Montreal is a charming, old city, and I thought that this hotel perfectly complemented that image. With its old furnitures and elevators, was it really trying to maintain its charm or is it in need of a renovation? I just can't tell.

Whichever it is, the front desk staff were helpful and knowledgeable. The rooms were ok. Room internet was not free, but the internet at the business center (26th floor) was.

I liked the location, though. It was a few minutes walk from Peel Street subway station, a stone's throw from McGill University and a few blocks away from some serious shopping and dining options.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I took a group of college students on a field trip to Montreal in April. I was a little worried by some of the reviews. I personally stay at Marriotts, Hiltons, etc., when I'm on my own, but our budget was too small for that.

When we first walked in the lobby, I was impressed with the tidyness and small but comfortable settings. The front desk could not have been more helpful. The rooms are incredibly large (far larger than a luxury hotel chain's rooms) and our rate included both breakfast and wireless internet (which worked just fine, at an entirely adequate speed). The front desk also functioned as the concierge desk and recommended local eateries for us on our budget. They even called and made reservations, which was particularly helpful for a group. Simon, especially, was incredibly friendly and helpful.

The breakfast rotated every other day, but it was always fresh, hot, and tasty. Since it was a buffet, if you leave hungry, it is your own fault.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's incredibly convenient to the Metro and in a very nice walking area of Montreal, with lots of shops both above and under ground. There are also enough restaurants at different price points to please a range of budgets and palates.

All in all, even if I was going back on a personal trip (which I very well might, Montreal is quite lovely), I would likely stay here. What you get, especially for the rate just can't be beat, and that saves a lot of money to spend on experiences. It was far cleaner and more comfortable than I expected, and when you consider saving breakfast money and that $12.95 daily fee for wireless, it's really a no-brainer. And, frankly, I don't feel like I had to sacrifice quality for those.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank FloridaTravelDr
New York
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My friends and I stayed at Cantlie for 4 nights during what seemed to be the offseason in Montreal. Cantlie is perfectly located in the heart of the Montreal business district - you cannot get a better location, and at 80 bucks a night, it was a positive steal.

Yet. there was this feeling of cheapness abound that would have annoyed me if I didn't get such a spectacular deal. Mind you, everything was perfectly acceptable - the rooms were clean, everything worked as it was supposed to, but there was just this lingering feeling that the place was in need of a renovation. The decor was tired, the elevators were a bit balky, and the staff was adequate if lackluster. As could be expected, the bar and breakfast were hideously overpriced - go down the block for Tim Horton's for your morning meal or to St. Catherine's for a drink.

Again, for what I paid, it was perfect. It was in the heart of the city, and Cantlie is a clean, comfortable place to lay one's head with adequate amenities. Just don't expect much more than that, and you'll be fine.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MKB1701
USA
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This hotel was a good deal for a bunch of us friends since it had enough space for 6 people in one room, but the rooms were ok. They were clean enough, AC barely worked, and bathrooms were ok. Great if you just need a place to sleep, but if you will spend time in the hotel or going with family or spouse, I would recommend something else. Location was safe, had restaurants around it.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank xasx4
Toronto
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I was looking for an inexpensive but decent hotel in Montreal when I came across a Travel Zoo deal. I called the hotel to ask about booking dates and besides the fact that the guy answered the phone by just snapping "hello" (which led me to believe I called a residential number by accident) he then proceeded to tell me HE wasn't interested in "my offer" to reserve a room! I thought I wasn't making myself clear, or that I had actually called a wrong number so I asked again if this was the hotel, and he says "yes, all booked up" and then slammed the phone on me. All booked up? I never even got a chance to tell him what dates I was calling about! I would never stay at this hotel, especially after reading all the other terrible reviews.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank iHateUggs
Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Hotel is an a GREAT location,right downtown. For anyone that is going to party this is your hotel. 2 blocks away from the bars. Anyone who wants to shop same thing. In the summer 15 minute walk to the bars or shops. I stayed with a group of friends. We r all in our 20's and all of us liked the hotel. Only 2 things i can complain about are the tv in our room and the hotel feels very 1970-ish.. TV was like 19 inches. Other than that I will still here everytime.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel when I was in Montreal on business and was really impressed. The room was clean and a nice size with a stovetop, microwave and fridge, which was really nice. The room is definitely outdated, especially with the tiny tv, but for traveling purposes, it was a good place to stay in a good location.

The staff weren't the most friendly group I've encountered at a hotel but we didn't really need to interact with them that much. They were cordial but just didn't give off a friendly vibe. The business center's computers weren't working while I was there and the gym was under renovation but it was nice that they offer both amenities.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if I return to Montreal. Great hotel for the amount we paid (got a great deal on expedia).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business