“Great until the end!”

Ranked #63 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Labrador City, Canada
“Great until the end!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel is clean and in the heart of where you want to be when visiting Montreal. Some aspects of the rooms are very dated but the beds were comfortable. They could really use new shower heads though! Seems to be a common problem in alot of hotels. Nice TV in the room and updated furniture. We reserved our room on hotels.com and got a good price. I was surprised that there was a $5 charge a day for wifi. Staff was nice the entire trip until the last day. I asked the ladt at the front desk to call me a cab at 5am. 15 minutes goes by and no cab. A cab shows up and I started to say thank you and leave when she tells me thats not the right cab. I explain im in a rush and she starts lecturing me! As it was early morning, my patience was limited but luckily "her" cab arrived just as I was about to walk out. I realized at the airport I has left a hat in my room. I called the hotel and the housekeeping staff had found it and kindly put it aside for me. I offered my credit card number and asked them to put it in the mail for me. They refused. they told me I had to arrange for a company to come get it. I suggested that this had happened to me once before and the hotel in question put it in the mail. Not a chance here! It's too bad because I did enjoy my stay there but the last 30 minutes left a bad impression. My wife enjoys staying at this hotel but I don't know if we will be going back there. If you want a clean room in a good location, this is an appropriate selection. If your looking for anything above and beyond in terms of decent service, keep going!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steve M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Inkstar
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We booked a premium suite for 4 nights. Room was as advertised. Clean and the beds were very comfortable. My wife is very picky about beds and she loved them. Hotel is a little dated but it's clean and we felt comfortable, the furniture, beds, TVs (flat screen in living room and bedroom) were all new. Great location, close to everything. For an extended stay, this is perfect, kitchen allowed us to save big bucks with doing some grocery shopping, separate bedroom and living room meant I could get up early and let my wife sleep in without waking her. We look forward to coming back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Inkstar
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The rooms are nice with a kitchenette and all the amenities you could want. The location is close to downtown Montreal, just a 10 minute walk from the Bell centre. The bathroom and kitchenette are a bit dated but the bed and other furniture are new. The service has been polite and attentive. One irritant is the $5 per 24 hour internet charge.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Over our 5 day stay at Hotel Le Cantlie Suites, which was part of our bringing in the New Year of 2014 in fine style, we were very impressed with the attentiveness and helpfulness of the members of staff who worked in many different roles. The facility was very well maintained and kept very clean. It appears warm and inviting to visitors and guests alike. One couldn't chose a better location to stay in downtown Montreal with so much to see and do in very close proximity,

Our cautionary concerns of the Hotel Le Cantlie Suites were the rooms themselves as we found them to be modestly furnished and needing more seating, side tables and dresser space. (we did get two folding suitcase caddies though). We were also a bit miffed by having to pay a daily fee for WiFi service,

Overall, the Hotel Le Cantlie Suites is a fine place to stay, once you adjust to the minimalist furnishings provided in your rooms. At least that was our experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yogi J
DeWitt, Michigan
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Bathroom was barely average. The bed was quite comfortable. We had requested and received a room on a high floor and away from elevators due to other reviews. We did enjoy the roof top deck. We went to a local bakery and brought back food and ate on the roof deck. Walking distance to most everything you could need. However, If cost was not a concern and we return to Montreal, we will look at other hotels.

Room Tip: definitely stay on a higher floor and at the end of the hall for peace and quiet. If you have a car...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ajijic
Reviewed November 10, 2013

good location , but nickle and dime operation.
probably last place in north america , charging for internet.
extra 24 dollars for parking and all hands out for tips , i do tip well for service but not when i wait 2 hours for a cork screw.
much better places with better attitude for same price around.

Room Tip: watch out for extra charges......
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank vandaddio
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'm here to give a more concrete review than you might otherwise find here. I know I had a hard time discerning what would or wouldn't bother me, but in the end took a chance on this hotel.
I don't regret it for one minute.
First things first: I'm in the middle of the "picky" scale, I'm a light sleeper and my partner is not, I was here for fun my partner was here for business, and we stayed a week. We are in our late twenties and not fully vested in careers. The price was perfect for what we needed, the location great. Sound like you? Perfect. Doesn't sound like you, take the following with a grain of salt.

1) This hotel, overall, was loud.
I sleep with earplugs which probably helped quite a bit, my partner could sleep through godzilla. You are, however, in the heart of a 3 million person city. I doubt the Ritz up the street is much better at blocking the traffic. However, the room was also noisy in the sense that the heat cycling on and the shower draining were also noisome. Since I was here during the middle of the day, I found this much more noticeable. Deal breaker? No.

2) Why isn't noise a deal breaker? You are in the heart of the city!
Underground city across the way, around the corner from a metro stop (green line), the Fine Arts museum (FREE for the permanent collection!), and plenty of food and shopping to keep you busy if you never bothered to take the metro anywhere. We were within walking distance of the convention center and thus Old Montreal. (Note, heart of the city =/= dirty. Like I said, ritz up the street, not a bad/dirty part of town. Also felt very safe. I AM picky about that)

3) Another reason the noise wasn't a big influence on my sleeping: LOVED the bed!!
Probably the only thing I'd gush about this hotel room. I'd buy it off them if I could. Rather firm, with plenty of fluff from a feather topper and a lush down comforter. Totally obliterated the cold of the room, as we were there during late Oct/Early Nov it was rather cold out. The pillows were amazing too. I slept soundly and often: I could nap in the middle of the day, no earplugs no problem, the bed was THAT comfy.

I can't speak to the service, I tend to avoid having room service in the room. They only called to ask about that after 4 days of privacy-please. Some hotels are far more insistent on making the bed for you. The front desk was friendly, again, we didn't interact much. We also didn't visit the hotel bar or the fitness room. The pool would be super cool if it weren't 38F out! (It is only open seasonally)

Overall I enjoyed staying at this hotel. It saved us some money so we could spend it on this rather expensive city. It was comfy/ we slept well-- very important for my partner on business and for me to stay non-cranky. It wasn't the nicest, wasn't the worst, but was worth it.

PS: To address the VdG recommendation/food: Definitely try Vasco de Gama, amazing croissants!! Then save your wallet from pain and go to Au Pain Dore (Local, look up deals before going, they have lots!). Consider a Metro trip to visit Machiavelli if you have the time, best meal of the trip. Best pub was 3 Brasseurs in Old Montreal.

Room Tip: Stayed at the end of the hall very high up: Still could hear some of Sherbrooke and the sounds of pe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple