“Average but good location”

Hotel Le Cantlie Suites
Ranked #63 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Bathroom was barely average. The bed was quite comfortable. We had requested and received a room on a high floor and away from elevators due to other reviews. We did enjoy the roof top deck. We went to a local bakery and brought back food and ate on the roof deck. Walking distance to most everything you could need. However, If cost was not a concern and we return to Montreal, we will look at other hotels.

Room Tip: definitely stay on a higher floor and at the end of the hall for peace and quiet. If you have a car...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Cantlie Suites

Reviewed November 10, 2013

good location , but nickle and dime operation.
probably last place in north america , charging for internet.
extra 24 dollars for parking and all hands out for tips , i do tip well for service but not when i wait 2 hours for a cork screw.
much better places with better attitude for same price around.

Room Tip: watch out for extra charges......
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vandaddio
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'm here to give a more concrete review than you might otherwise find here. I know I had a hard time discerning what would or wouldn't bother me, but in the end took a chance on this hotel.
I don't regret it for one minute.
First things first: I'm in the middle of the "picky" scale, I'm a light sleeper and my partner is not, I was here for fun my partner was here for business, and we stayed a week. We are in our late twenties and not fully vested in careers. The price was perfect for what we needed, the location great. Sound like you? Perfect. Doesn't sound like you, take the following with a grain of salt.

1) This hotel, overall, was loud.
I sleep with earplugs which probably helped quite a bit, my partner could sleep through godzilla. You are, however, in the heart of a 3 million person city. I doubt the Ritz up the street is much better at blocking the traffic. However, the room was also noisy in the sense that the heat cycling on and the shower draining were also noisome. Since I was here during the middle of the day, I found this much more noticeable. Deal breaker? No.

2) Why isn't noise a deal breaker? You are in the heart of the city!
Underground city across the way, around the corner from a metro stop (green line), the Fine Arts museum (FREE for the permanent collection!), and plenty of food and shopping to keep you busy if you never bothered to take the metro anywhere. We were within walking distance of the convention center and thus Old Montreal. (Note, heart of the city =/= dirty. Like I said, ritz up the street, not a bad/dirty part of town. Also felt very safe. I AM picky about that)

3) Another reason the noise wasn't a big influence on my sleeping: LOVED the bed!!
Probably the only thing I'd gush about this hotel room. I'd buy it off them if I could. Rather firm, with plenty of fluff from a feather topper and a lush down comforter. Totally obliterated the cold of the room, as we were there during late Oct/Early Nov it was rather cold out. The pillows were amazing too. I slept soundly and often: I could nap in the middle of the day, no earplugs no problem, the bed was THAT comfy.

I can't speak to the service, I tend to avoid having room service in the room. They only called to ask about that after 4 days of privacy-please. Some hotels are far more insistent on making the bed for you. The front desk was friendly, again, we didn't interact much. We also didn't visit the hotel bar or the fitness room. The pool would be super cool if it weren't 38F out! (It is only open seasonally)

Overall I enjoyed staying at this hotel. It saved us some money so we could spend it on this rather expensive city. It was comfy/ we slept well-- very important for my partner on business and for me to stay non-cranky. It wasn't the nicest, wasn't the worst, but was worth it.

PS: To address the VdG recommendation/food: Definitely try Vasco de Gama, amazing croissants!! Then save your wallet from pain and go to Au Pain Dore (Local, look up deals before going, they have lots!). Consider a Metro trip to visit Machiavelli if you have the time, best meal of the trip. Best pub was 3 Brasseurs in Old Montreal.

Room Tip: Stayed at the end of the hall very high up: Still could hear some of Sherbrooke and the sounds of pe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aaron_louis
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Booked here for a last minute business trip. Room was large, a suite, dark brown carpet appeared to be recently replace however many stains were apparent despite the dark colour. Suite includes a 1950's combination oven, stovetop, fridge, sink "unit" which I did not use but I'm sure it's proximity to the carpet explained some of the stains. The bathroom was inadequate and the bathroom floor was badly stained and chipped. Price, location, comfortable bed and decent towels were pluses. Tiny elevator (only 2 of 3 were working at the time of my stay), thin walls, alarm clock and telephone wake up call instructions which did not work, and charging for in room wifi were cons. I often overheard people at the reception desk complaining their paid for wifi was not working. Interesting that front desk would take requests for wake up call, the next morning, you would receive a system generated call and then 15 minutes later a personalized call from the front desk. Good service or no confidence in the system generated call.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel?
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My friend and I make a couple of trips to Montreal a year. It has been a couple of years since we stayed at Le Cantlie Suites but will probably not be our last. It is important for the hotel to keep the rates affordable.

Le Cantlie has the advantage of an excellent location close to shopping, restaurants and the Montreal Museums which usually have amazing exhibits.
The beds were extremely comfortable, the room temperature easily controlled and the fridge a welcome addition to the room. There were stove burners but we were not interested in cooking in a city with such great restaurants.

The front desk staff were pleasant, helpful and courteous. If there was a criticism it would be the inconsistency in room supplies but this was definitely not a big deal. Any deficiencies were were quickly resolved.

The piece de resistance was the rooftop pool with lots of lounge chairs. It was really cool to be sitting on top of the bustling city in early October in 25 degree temperature.

This location is definitely a " do again"

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located near McGill university, Mont Royal Convention Centre, the museums and the city centre all within a couple of minutes walk. Room prices are at the lower end, under $150 per night which is excellent for what you get. We had two queen sized beds a separate lounge, diner and a small kitchenette in a cupboard, all you need really. The rooms are clean and ours was quite large. There is also a metro within a couple of minutes. The beds are comfortable.

The airport bus stops less than 7 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room next to the lifts as they are noisy, though they do turn off the two...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2013

A friend and I stayed at l'hotel cantlie for 4 nights. When you walk into the lobby the hotel looks very beautiful. The concierge, Frank, made our stay very special! As many other reviewers say, everything else is a bit dated. The doors are opened by keys. Other than that everything was wonderful. The rooms were spacious, clean and the small kitchen was a nice touch.

For 2 girls in their mid 20's, everything we needed was close by. Mount Royal is a quick 5 minute walk away, as is rue Crescent. I absolutely recommend the hotel for anyone who plans on doing a lot of sight seeing and only using their room for sleeping and showering. For the location and price it's a great deal!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends